close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this a problem?

Discussion in 'Optics' started by mtnwoman, Oct 9, 2017.

1. mtnwoman

mtnwoman G&G Regular

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing. Just got a smokin deal on some bullets so I have plenty. ;)

2. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    intentionaly left the iron sights on my 700 BDL.

Had to use a 32mm objective, but okay with the scope.

I didn’t want to be on a good hunt and have the scope fail with no back up sights.

This set up has never given me a moments worth of trouble.
    No, I do not see the rear or front sight I’m the scope.
    49BBF73B-B29C-4142-921B-B2A7A932CA3D.jpeg AA079FC1-3B89-4721-A4B2-344CBFBFC707.jpeg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    The_Wardog, Ten Man and mtnwoman like this.

3. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Since that's scope is set up for someone else's eye relief and not necessarily yours, you might want to play with it a little bit depending on how much room you have to move the scope forward and backwards to find the most comfortable shooting position you can with the best view through the reticle that you can. Depending on how much eye relief that scope has in relation to your shooting position, if you need a little more adjustability one way or the other you have another option with a set of scope extension rings that will give you a little more room for adjustment one way or the other. You can get them in low medium and high for height and 1/2" & 3/4" offset.

I recently picked up a beautiful Japanese arisaka type 99 that was custom built buy a legendary Wildcat gunsmith here in Boise a long long time ago. It was rechambered and rebarreled for the 22-250 . It hasn't been touched since he built it so I wanted to leave it just the way it was but the eye relief just wasn't working for me so I had to buy two sets of high 3/4" extension rings for it. The scope is still at the same height that it was at I just moved it back 5/8". Thankfully the angle of the rear ring leaves just enough clearance for the bolt to move freely because it's a cock on close design.

20171012_193237.jpg 20171012_193625.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    mtnwoman, Merle, jerry and 1 other person like this.
  4. Artbrownsr

Artbrownsr G&G Enthusiast

Alaska
    I know this is about your scope, but I also got a used Rem. Model 721 MANY years ago. Mine is a 30-06
    I had a problem with the safety that allowed a round to go off without touching the trigger and safety was engaged later found Rem has a trigger makeover for it. Contact Remington for info the fix was NO CHARGE from your FFL to them and back within a couple weeks. Just want everyone to be safe, the gun handles great Rem 721 a.jpg Rem 721 c.jpg

K75RT, swedesrus, Merle and 1 other person like this.
  5. JUNKER

JUNKER G&G Enthusiast

Hello... may I m old fashioned... I hate the rifles that came from factory whitout front and rear sights... I think you must to put a long or taller mount for your scope... and let the original sights like came from factory...
    If you broke a lens in accident ... you can use the open iron sights... i you depends only from the optics... if it broke- you became blind...

jerry, Merle and mtnwoman like this.
  6. mtnwoman

mtnwoman G&G Regular

Thanks Artbrownsr, I had no idea about that. I will definitely look into it.

7. Artbrownsr

Alaska
    Yeah I picked mine up from a pawnshop 20 years ago with the knowledge of half a bean. It had a 10# pull on the trigger that I had a smith work on and then put a box of rounds through it to sight it in, and went merrily on my way until a moose hunt that put a hole in my Chevy Blazer S10 about 10 or 12 years old at the time, IN THE CENTER OF THE ROOF 5 INCHES BEHIND THE FRONT SEAT exactly where a CB antenna would be placed.

mtnwoman likes this.
  8. Merle

Merle G&G Addict

just exactly how did that hole get there?

9. Artbrownsr

Alaska
    THE STORY:
    I was moose hunting in this area ( Knik Goose Bay /Point MacKenzie), https://www.google.com/maps/@61.4092938,-149.5537348,51245m/data=!3m1!1e3
    no problem to give the area away as NOW IT IS TOO BUILT UP TO HUNT.
    along one of the side roads a moose was spotted near the top of the road cut slope. We got out of the Vehicle ( My self, my son, my neighbor and my neighbor's friend,) we are all hunters on this trip but I was the quickest to get out of the vehicle and ready a round. Up to this point ALL weapons were LOADED with CHAMBERS empty
    as verified by each of us. With weapon in hand and scope to eye it was determined that this moose was JUST to small to be legal (Requirements are 50" antler spread and / or three brow tines on either side.). SO on getting back to the Blazer I LEFT THE ROUND IN THE CHAMBER AND PUT IT ON SAFE . I handed the rifle to the neighbor's friend and he set it down muzzle up on the hump between the two back passengers. On it setting on the hump and I don't think it was done violently, the gun went off going as I said in the post above dead center where I would put a CB antenna if I had planned to install one. I have ever since then only carried any long gun with the chamber empty until game is in sight or in the case of bear safety when we were intrail and I was the shotgun man.

10. Merle

Merle G&G Addict

OUCH, bitter lesson!!!
    thanks for the reply!

11. Artbrownsr

Alaska
    I use this story as an example during my gun safety lessons to kids, grandkids and the like. I am very willing to show my failures IF IT WILL KEEP SOME ONE SAFE!
    The beauty of this is that by applying the other rules of gun safety no one was hurt IE Muzzle in a safe direction as it was transferred person to person and placed in vehicle.

mtnwoman and Merle like this.
  12. Artbrownsr

Alaska
  13. mtnwoman

mtnwoman G&G Regular

Yes, I looked into it. From what I can gather it's an older gun & they won't fix it but will give me a $10 gift certificate. Whooopty doo, they can keep it. Not too happy with Remington right now. I have a gun that there own website says could be unsafe and if you have that model not to use it. I'm trying to get a quote from a gunsmith to replace the trigger. I appreciate you letting me know about the problem that gun could potentially have.

14. Artbrownsr

Alaska
    mtnwoman, Just treat it like it has NO SAFETY. Always pointed in a safe direction, ammo in chamber when acquiring target ( not looking for a target), empty chamber of unfired rounds when deciding to not shoot.
    I like my 721 and even with the changeover I had done, that is the way I do.

mtnwoman likes this.