Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'd steer clear of the Romanian WASR, even for AK's they're lacking in quality. If it were me I'd stick with the SKS. Plus I've seen the WASR at gunshow's for $275

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I wanted to know. WHat is the flaw in those models? Last show I saw them for around 350 and I was hesitant to walk away with it and I wanted to reserach it a little.

·
Registered
108 Posts
It is average. As far as AKs it is probably the cheapest one you can buy new and I have heard mostly good things about them. Your probably going to want to replace the fire control group if it has a trigger slap problem or develops one. You can get one from Tapco for around $50 including shipping. I have an SAR-1 and thats what I had to do. jgsales.com has them from 329 and I did business with them once with no complaints. Here check out this link, it is all about Romanian AKs http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/model.htm#wasr10gp

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
they machine these to fit hi cap mags- thats my understanding--the mag will slop around,the sar-1 has a dimple on the side to hold the mag right

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,319 Posts
7mmag6 said:
any one know what wasr abbreviation means, I cant figure it out
Wanted
A
Serious
Rifle

But got a WASR instead....:D

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I'm a fan of Saiga conversions myself. Most standard and accurate out of the box would be the Bulgarian milled models that NRAJOE swears by. Worth the money, but with adequate conversion skills a Saiga is a steal. Builds by Vector Arms are great as well.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, if I was to spend like 400 or under, the one to get is the Sar-1???? Or sould I get me a MAK 90?? :full: :full: :full: :full: :full: :full: :full: :full:

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
well, if you were looking to get out of the sks type rifles, and looking at ak's, the mak 90 would be a great choice, and gunsamerica has a lot of them. They also have them without the tumbhole stock. I changed mine to a dragunov type stock because i didnt care for the thumbhole look(looks good on the daewoo though)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Romanian AK's are good for the money. I paid $300.00 for a WASR 10 and
shot it till the grease poured out of the thing.Never missed fired. Bought a
SAR-1 for $295.00 and it would jam sometimes.I changed out the spring and
carrier's from the WASR 10 to the SAR-1.Didn't have a problem with either after that???? Bought a SAR-3 for $250.00. I wouldn't sell it for $500 if anyone offered. SAR-3's dried up.Mak-90's have excellent action but for the
money,spend $100.00 more and get a ARSENAL SLR-95.. Once you shoot
a milled AK and then shoot a stamped AK is like going from a Cadilliac to a
tractor. But any AK is good,just because of the design.....

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I traded my WASR-10. I am looking at something with a milled receiver. I didn't like the mags rattling around or the trigger slap with the WASR. I will have to say though, it never failed to fire or jamed. Not very accurate either. I had a mak-90 that was pretty nice. I didn't care for the thumb-hole stock and it was too much trouble to change out legally. I am looking at the Bulgarian milled ones now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just get the WASR and change out the FCG if need be. I say YES to your question. There is always something better if you have the money. If match accuracy is what your looking for, don't get an AK.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Bulgarian milled AKs will hold their own against entry level ARs, ie MOAish. Want 1/2moa or so and you'll need more of an AR and the AKs stay behind.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If accuracy mattered I wouldn't sell my SKS to get an AK. I want to destroy zombies in large numbers. Everybody needs a good zombie gun and I have a bunch of SKSes already, I'll live if I sell one:joker:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts