Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies!
Ive never actually met any ladies who shoot.
Im always the only girl so all my questions are answerd by guys.
Id like to know what the ladies opinions are but this place seems dead.

Here are a few questions

What is your favorite gun to shoot and why?

(and if you carry) What is your favorite gun to carry and why?
Why did you get/or like the caliber of gun that you have?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm not sure why you think the board is dead or why you don't think you can get your answers here? While not being of your gender I do hang out with women shooters and think they don't post a lot because they are smarter than most male shooters and just keep them selves. But I could ask a few questions for you. One question you did ask has a two part answer, most women start out prefering the revolver like the .357 S&W 7-shooter and then as they gain trigger time they learn to like and use a compact auto in 9mm or .40 from the SIG or HK companies. Just my observation of the ladies I shoot with which out number the guys I shoot with 5 to 1.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
There are s lot of female shooters here on the forums. Just probably not a lot of woman specific topics.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please do ask! :)
I've never seen another lady on the range when im out and i want to know their opinions. Dont get me wrong i love guys. Your great! I'm just completely lacking a female perspective on guns and shooting and carrying.

Why i think this forum is dead well look at the dates on the threads. :-/ But I don't know. maybe they just don't have anything to say.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts

Why i think this forum is dead well look at the dates on the threads. :-/ But I don't know. maybe they just don't have anything to say.
Nah, it's just that we participate in all-encompassing threads. Except for a few specific issues, everything else gun related is a genderless topic.

What is it that you're wanting to know, exactly?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
My wife has two carry options at the moment depending on what she is doing and wearing:

1. Ruger LCR with IWB holster or Flashbang Holster. She purchased this as her first CCW gun and liked the feel of it (biggest reason) as well as the reliability a revolver offers. She very much loves her Flashbang holster which if you haven't looked at for the Ladies you know you might look into it and some of the others they offer.
2. Smith & Wesson Bodyguard .380 with IWB holster and Marylin holster. She picked this up recently as an alternative to her Revolver due to its small and thin size. She can wear tighter fitting cloths easier with it.

As for her favorite gun, the only one I haven't seen her love shooting is my FN FiveSeveN due to the size of the hand grip. She loves shooting my 1911s, the 357 magnum we sold to my father and is quite interested in trying out a 44 magnum depending on who gets it first, me or my father. She is all for trying out any gun you put in her hands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I want to know

My motives are simple i just wanted to know and i my learn something that i didn't know. Knowlege is power and if a lot of people like particular gun then it may be a good idea to add it to my list of guns to check out.

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,219 Posts
Check this out. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXGMN3rsWPk"]Women competitive handgun shooters USPSA 2008 - YouTube[/ame] Tons of videos on women shooting handguns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool!
I have a stupid question... why are 1911's awesome?
Ive shot one and it was fun but it didnt really stand out to me.
What is it about them that makes everyone so excited?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Cool!
Ive shot one and it was fun but it didnt really stand out to me.
What is it about them that makes everyone so excited?
For me the 1911 is one of those guns that I just wanted growing up. The Hi-Power is the same way, they are just guns that I want. There is a wealth of history with them, they highly customizable and are some of those guns that are the standard of measure that new guns are measured against.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
344 Posts
I am facinated by all guns, but I prefer to use my browning citori when I shoot trap mainly because it has been tailored to fit me. Also because I have a love for shotguns.

I am still in the "too young to carry" category but if I could carry I would want a double action revolver.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
I want to know
My favorite gun "to shoot" is probably my 5" Springfield 1911. It's really heavy and I make my reloads slightly under factory FPS, so it's a VERY cushy shoot. It makes shooting more fun if there's not a lot of recoil and you can just shoot all day long.

My favorite carry gun is my 3" Kimber 1911. It's been with me the longest, I've run the most rounds through it, it's been the gun I've trained with...and I trust it the most.
At first it was finicky with hollow points, but when I discovered Wilson Combat magazines...*poof*, no more problem. :)

".45"... slower moving, bigger diameter, bigger hole where it hits without over-travel (through a couple walls, or something).

Cool!
Personally, I rip the grips off and put slim grips on them to fit my hand better...and I LOVE the cant of the grip (the angle). It's like a natural extension of my arm...I don't have to move my hand up or down much...just raise my arm with the gun in my hand and the target is just *right there* in my sights. I really like that.
I'm also a big fan of all the safeties.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
80% of my pistol students are women these days. It seems that one of more popular options for women when they make their purchase is the Smith and Wesson M&P. Interchangeable grip backstraps, very comfortable ergonomics, and a decent trigger (although terrible reset).

Most of my students and high volume shooters have moved toward 9mm for their caliber, for cost and less fatigue when shooting extended sessions. The defensive 9mm loads out there have been quite impressive. I always teach to shoot the largest caliber you can accurately shoot and follow up with a second shot. My minimum standard for this is a 0.5 second split between aimed shots at 7 yards in an 8" circle.

For carry purposes, the considerations between men and women are the same when it comes to the firearm, but the holster is more important between genders. The hips tend to limit carry options for women because a 3 o'clock carry tends to angle the weapon towards the body, making an awkward draw, or a slower draw at best. Appendix carry holsters or the leather kydex hybrids like Crossbreed or Comp-Tac/Minotaur in the 2 o'clock position work best.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts