close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this OK?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by OldSchool, Mar 24, 2002.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool G&G Newbie

I recently got started in handloading with a Lee Loader set for my .22 Hornet. The bug really bit me and I came home from the gun show yesterday with a single stage press and a set of dies for my 8mm mauser. I could'nt wait to try it out but did'nt have any loadable brass on hand, so I grabbed a 30-06 case and ran it through. I thought it would just open up the neck and stop on the shoulder. I was surprised when it bottomed out. What came out looked just like an 8mm mauser with a really long neck, so I trimmed it to length and ran it through again. It looked identical and a dial caliper confirmed that all parts of the case were within +/- .001" compared with some PMC ammo I have. I seated a bullet and cycled it through my rifle, all seemed fine.

Now aside from the obvious danger of mistakenly chambering this round in the'06, is it an acceptable practice to use 30-06 brass to load 8x57, and what if any problems does it present?

OldSchool

2. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

A lot of people do this .

Wyr
    God Bless

3. ReRide

ReRide G&G Newbie

nebr
    yes a lot of cartriges interchange, jsut get your case trimmed to lenght and you will be all right

4. Shaun

Shaun G&G Newbie

Yes My buddy does this all the time he actually does the rough trim on a lathe

5. OldSchool

OldSchool G&G Newbie

After thinking about it for a while, I think I will not engage in this practice. I don't know if any of you remember a poll I conducted on the old forum, it was for an article I was writing about the dangers of accidentally firing the wrong cartridge in the wrong gun. Since these 8mm rounds would be headstamped 30-06, it makes it just that much easier to make a mistake. I'd rather not find out what my '06 looks like in little peices.

OldSchool