close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Is this place dying?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by JohnD, Apr 16, 2002.

1. JohnD

JohnD Member

Is it slowing down or is it just me?

2. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

it's an ebb and flow thing. the weather is getting nicer and people are outside and some have been busy with taxes.

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

I,for one,have been REAL busy pondering the meaning of life.

4. azeeb

azeeb G&G Newbie

wes

let me know when you figure it out

5. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

Hello Wes, I see you refound the G $ G. What's the meaning of life...That's easy. Your the meaning of life. Oil Well, been shooting lately?

6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

If anything, John, It seems to be growing. I check in on monday morning, and usually find three or four pages of new posts. Lot's of new people showing up. More and more forums for topics of interest. Chris and Jesse have done good.

:usa:

7. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Not sure..people have things going on in their life..Ive been putting in 60-70 hours a week...so been going on and off while at work or home...Im sure we lost a few people in the move...will gain new ones over time...such is life.

8. It's Not Shrinking

I've seen nothing that I would consider a significant sign of shrinkage. These things work that way. They are always going up and down.
    Personally, I'm just moving at a slower pace, trying to reinforce the training of my younger years. The part that involves making sure your brain is engaged before putting your mouth into action.
    I said something stupid, on another forum, that resulted in a problem. As a result of that, I'm making fewer posts here. I want to make sure I don't repete that mistake.
    I think all is well at Gun and Game.

9. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i face similar problems, alot of times its a reflex reaction. sometimes i do not even know what i said, its that bad!!! at least here we have the luxury to sit back and reflect and re-read before we hit the send button. its hard to retract a statement once its voiced in person. thats why i have my own dog house, lol.:fuss: :confused:

10. JohnD

JohnD Member

I kind of liked the old forms Because it displayed the new ones. If they could mark each topick and new threads with #new since last visit or no new scince last visit.

11. Big Dog

JohnD, when you come on the board, click the "view new posts" button on the top right below your name. Then, it'll show only the topics with new postings since last time you were on.

12. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

I think it has been picking up here, but I've been slowing down. Planting tomatoes, peppers, sweet corn and just dug up some fresh horseradish, will grind it tonite and have some roast beef to spread it on.

13. BenP

BenP G&G Newbie

I think we all let our mouths get us into trouble at times, or otherwise say things without full knowledge of what we're talking about. I know I've done it and I've gotten mashed for it, too. This particular form of communication is notorious for causing misunderstandings.

When I see these things happen on these forums, I'm inclined to step in if I think I have a good grasp of the situation or ask questions until I do, and lend my support to both sides so that the conflict can get resolved. The idea is to introduce critical information or translate perspectives so that the pals understand each other better. That way they can stay pals if they want to.

I think it's okay to have a little spice and spark in our dialogues. It promotes thinking first so that we don't sound like we have our cranial containment vessels forcibly inserted up our lower ailmentary canals (PC version). We don't always have to agree on specific topics either, as long as we can agree to respect each other. I think the important thing is to appreciate new information and perspective, and try to find ways to constructively add to the discussion whenever possible. That way the most people get the greatest benefit from our combined knowledge.

If you're going to be an administrator of one of these forums, then you need to make sure you stay abreast of the facts in any situation you might address. Ask questions first if you don't understand entirely or if something just doesn't seem right. Patience is a sign of wisdom. Then when you feel satisfied that you know what's going on, address the problem and advise those involved accordingly. Use tact whenever possible, and expedite only when absolutely necessary to protect the rights of others. It's okay to have stricter standards than others, too. Just make sure you explain your position and be consistent.

No administrator wants to be crowned "King Nothing". Tyrants change the rules whenever it's convenient for them. I haven't seen any tyrants in a while on these forums, and that's a good thing. I've seen a lot of misunderstandings of late, and I've even been the cause of some. I think it's a good idea to pause and reflect on the situation when that happens, figure out what's important, and then try to explain. Apologies are always a good start, and I will be the first to apologize for any misunderstanding regardless of who I think may have started it. As far as I'm concerned all participants in any given discussion where a misunderstanding has occured are responsible. All should work constructively to correct the misunderstanding. Some are better than others at this. There are a few out there who could probably use a class in anger management or at least Communications Behavior. They are tough to deal with, but it can be done.

My point is: Don't give up trying. You decided to do this for a reason. No one said it was always going to be easy. Just use your noggin' and do what you can, and try to be positive whenever you got the chance.

14. I think in some areas things have been up (new forums etc.) in other areas example the Mauser forum it has been slower then under the old format. I am sure some people got lost in the move, others may have not wanted to change to something new, still others may just be busy. Time will tell, give it some time and see how things progress

15. Mico

Mico G&G Newbie

Computer activity drops when the weather improves, plain and simple. If anything, this place is better than it ever was.

16. Big Dog

It'll pick up when the next round of gun shows come through. Then we'll have lot's to talk about.

17. Tober

Tober Firearm Aficionado Forum Contributor

I just saw the ads in Gun List, I dunno about anyone else, but they look good, and I have noticed there is about 20 members online at one time more often. I also find more new exciting people with new ideas....

Also look at the number of forums...no offense mind you, there is a lot! ITs hard to get to tall of them.

18. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

There's nothing to be concerned about that I can tell.

Myself, I believe this forum is getting better and better. What more can you ask for? Just about any subject under guns and game is here and for diversion, there's always the humor forum.

Because I'm retired I'm able to click on G&G several times a day. I know that's not possible for a lot of the poster's, though, so I'm probably not a good one to survey.

As far as having a quality system of moving around on this forum and finding anything you're interested in, I don't believe this forum can be beaten. Besides, I was using the previous format and have that to compare to. It was very good, too, but this G&G.Com is far superior.

With this kind of great weather lots of people are outside till much later. There's nothing to be concerned about that I can tell.

Oxford

19. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

Is this a survey? When we changed I didn't like the new G $ G set up, but once I learned about it, it's the best set up of all the forums, esp. when posting pictures. But I like other forums to, esp. Rimfire because I like the .22 Rifle and the CZ forum over there. I've tried to get some response from the G $ G CZ forum to no avail. I guess none of the G $ G Members care for the CZ Rifle.
    Oil Well, How 'Bout them CZ Rifles?