is this possible?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by 99z28monster, Sep 20, 2010.

1. 99z28monster

99z28monster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I bought a mosin a while back and I am curious if I can have it turned into a different caliber rifle. I figure it is just a old cheap rifle might as well have it turned into something more of my preference. I would like all the metal blued as well. and the stock refinished or an entirely new wood stock. Would I be wasting my time and money with this or is this a cheaper route than having a custom rifle built from multiple parts?

I am not looking to buy a already built rifle or manufactured rifle. I have plenty of them.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Buy a different rifle...Cheaper in the long run.
    The Mosin should stay just like it is...for History sake.

3. 99z28monster

suggestions on what to buy? I really would like a rifle built it would have more meaning to me that way than just picking one from a display case. Should I just shop around for a certain action and go from there? I am really clueless on this other than knowing I want a rifle built.

4. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

The wally world here got a sweet savage 110 chambered in .308 a few days ago. $300 plus the usual ransom money for uncle sam.

I'll let the gunsmiths ring in from here other than to say SBowers and SeabeeScotty that I know of do custom builds.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Lets start with Caliber ??? what do you want it for...Hunting, Targets, Varmits, ???

6. 99z28monster

I would like something to fill in between my 30-30 and 45-70. I was thinking maybe 35 whelen

7. 99z28monster

I currently in the process of selling off most of my rifles that I don't really "need" just let go of my savage 110 30-06 for 350. I figured it was a decent deal on my part.

8. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I would suggest to you 30/06...Way more versatile and ammo readily available, and look at the New Marlin XL7 series of rifles...less than 300 bucks in most places...and has all the features you could ask for.

9. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    You may find that most custom rifles are built on a Mauser action which are more conducive to modifications. Stocks are readily available for Mausers as are barrels.
    IMO, Mosins are just not fodder for building a custom gun.
    As has been mentioned it may be more financially realistic to purchase a good Savage or Remington in your caliber choice.
    I totally understand your feeling about having a rifle built specifically for you.
    "This is my rifle, there are no others like it, and this one is mine"

10. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

This is a joke, right? a Mosin ! LOL

11. 99z28monster

I am as serious as a heart attack

12. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

I would take the advice stated above on the custom action. If you want to build a custom rifle I would not start with a Mosin. If you want to start with a Mil Surp action then start with a Mauser action. Mauser mil surp rifles can be had for a buck fifty or less and lend themselves better to custom builds than Mosins.

30-06 is a good choice as is 308. But, if you are going to build a custom rifle and want a 35 whelen then by all means go with a 35 whelen build! Great caliber!!!

I am sure you understand that a custom rifle is not going to be a 300 buck rifle. If done correctly by a competent gunsmith rifle builder then it will be a work of art to be cherished for a lifetime and passed down to your children and their children!

13. Tha Dave

Tha Dave G&G Evangelist

I think the hardest part would be getting the bolt and exactor to fit around the rim of most modern cartages, unless you made it into a .303, .410 or something like that. But at the same time I am not a gun smith so I may be way off.

14. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I have wanted a Mauser rebarreled to 35 Whelen for quite some time. Restock it, rebarrel it, add a quick detach scope. A do it all rifle !!

15. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

How quick would you like to have on steve.
    Steve

16. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

You may want to consider a Savage bolt action. You can change barrels and calibers with little trouble on these rifles. All it takes is a new barrel in the same class(30-06, 308, 243, 35 Whelen, 22-250) these and many more are in the same class and can be swapped out with a barrel wrench and some head-space gauges.

17. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    the easiest way to have your 35whelen would have been to screw a new barrel onto your old savage. a mauser 98 would be a way better choice for building a custom rifle than a mosin would be, for numerous reasons. throwing cost out the window, an aftermarket action is really the way to go!

18. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

If you really want to build a custom rifle, start with a Mauser action and not a Mosin.

19. ottawa rogue

ottawa rogue G&G Evangelist

well, on a mosin action, the best bet would be a .35 caliber cartridge on the 7.62x54r case. i don't think it will feed a .30-06 length round.
    i know the finns have several different rounds off the 54r, and if you go to ammoguide, they list several rounds based off of this case also..including .338 and .35 caliber.

and as far as rebarreling, maybe you should contact this guy first.
    he can rebore your current barrel for cheaper than what it would probably cost you to rebarrel....unless you already have the blank and a gunsmith buddy who'll work for beer :D
    Home - Reboring by J E S

EDIT: after looking over the link i posted, one of the cartridges he lists is .35 Russian.
    this might be what you're looking for

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  20. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

what i would do is peruse the pawn shops, gun, shops etc. find a used COMMERCIALY built rifle totally crapped but with a good shape action and use that as a basis for a custom build. the metallurgy is superior. sure them old Mauser actions are great, but by the time you've modified the old military action, you've tossed a lot of money on an old sow.