Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman is offering an Israeli k98k for my Chinese sks. His rifle has a dark bore which I’m not too thrilled about the bore. But there’s a large blue green paint circle on the side of the stock. He said he thinks it’s for the unit identification. I’m thinking it’s a decommissioned/training/drill rifle but I can’t find any information.
Advice?

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
I don't know what that might signify.
@rando, have you ever seen one marked like that?

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Does it have the proper "7.62" stamp on the butt stock of the rifle? Or, anything as a stamp on wood or metal signifying it was ever owned by the IDF?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Is it in decent outside condition? Some were sold or given to Central American Countries and look like they stayed outside for a year.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
If it's an Israeli 98K, there should be signs of scrubbed waffenamts and overstamps of the Star of David, if memory serves. If the rifle was converted from 8mm Mauser to to 7.62 NATO, there should be a "7.62" stamped on the receiver. These converted Mausers were issued to second-line units as late as the Yom Kippur War, I think. After that, they were sold off as surplus or provided as military aid to a number of African nations.

Can you provide us with a couple of photos of the receiver? Please rub some chalk on it to bring up the markings and stamps.

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
Think it’s worth a Matching Chinese sks? Doesn’t have any manufacture markings, sort of an odd ball
Not sure exactly of current SKS values. Not my thing. Changes made to that 98 but I know current values for mix-matchers and Russian Captures have recently gone up to a starting price of $600 or more. Being rechambered hurts along with any scrubbed markings naturally but maybe in the $400 or a bit more range. See what Rando or others might suggest.

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
Its a 98K Short rifle. Has the Israeli Crest and Caliber designation. I have seen two and three digit numbers crudely painted on stocks but not just a round paint mark. Should have cartouches or star of David stamped in wood stock. Looks like correct stock also proper cut for sling and a cupped metal but plate. Even with a dark bore it may be able to be cleaned a bit. Real test is to shoot it and see how accurate. Mauser rifles seem to be bringing more money these days than an SKS. I am not sure at this exact time what they are bringing with the shortage. I bought one not too long ago for $300. Stock was a bit ugly though

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
Defiantly an interesting Mauser for sure & it would make a nice addition to your collection . Have you researched & dated your sks via Yooper John?. I can't post links to his site's but just Google the name and it'll pop right up. If it's a later production, probably post 1975 SKS I would go for the trade myself :) ...

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,358 Posts
I'll point out at the moment it's easier to get your hands on another ChiCom SKS than it would be to find another Israeli Mauser in 7.62 NATO. I'd make the swap, if the bore is sound. My suggestion would be to clean it using Gunzilla, a bronze bore brush, and patches, see what it looks like then, and negotiate from there.

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
I'll point out at the moment it's easier to get your hands on another ChiCom SKS than it would be to find another Israeli Mauser in 7.62 NATO. I'd make the swap, if the bore is sound. My suggestion would be to clean it using Gunzilla, a bronze bore brush, and patches, see what it looks like then, and negotiate from there.
For sure Cyrano. I say scrub the bore too. I have seen dark bores clean up before. Also a dark bore can still shoot accurate. Like you say about easy to find a Chicom SKS. Not so on a Mauser especially an Israeli one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts