Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20,081 Posts
For sure Cyrano. I say scrub the bore too. I have seen dark bores clean up before. Also a dark bore can still shoot accurate. Like you say about easy to find a Chicom SKS. Not so on a Mauser especially an Israeli one.
Sometimes it is better to leave it dark rather than clean it up. My buddy David had a Spanish Mauser that was one of the most accurate surplus rifles I've ever shot. The bore, however, looked like a dirt road after a stampede of diarrhretic cattle. His uncle gave him the rifle and neither one of them had ever cleaned it. After talking to me, he decided to clean it. Turns out the more was mostly potholes and burrs and all the gunk had filled in the problems. It went from quarter-sized groups at 100 yards to pie pan-sized groups at 30 feet. It took nearly 400 rounds of shooting without cleaning for the fouling to fill enough divots for the thing to be gallon-of-milk accurate at 50 yards.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
For sure Cyrano. I say scrub the bore too. I have seen dark bores clean up before. Also a dark bore can still shoot accurate. Like you say about easy to find a Chicom SKS. Not so on a Mauser especially an Israeli one.
You have that right. My second Mosin was an M38 I named Boris Badenov. Not just to go with Natasha, my scoped 1927 Izhevsk ex-Dragoon, but because he was short (compared to Natasha), with a bore dark as midnight in a coal mine, and until I got the sights properly zeroed, he shot crooked. But the bore cleaned up nicely (I used the foaming bore cleaner used with muzzleloading rifles to start; filled up the barrel and let it sit overnight, then scrubbed it aggressively with a bore brush and dry pads, followed by a routine thorough cleaning. Boris's bore came out clean as a whistle.

Today, I'd soak the bore with Gunzilla overnight instead of the foaming blackpowder cleaner, but otherwise I'd follow the same procedure. Gunzilla will pull crap and gunk out of a bore that you would swear was so clean, it would pass an inspection by a Marine DI. In my opinion it is the best CLP product on the market.

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Premium Member
24,593 Posts
Not trying to be a smarty pants, but the Mauser would pique my interest more than a Chinese SKS. The question though is whether you and the seller can work out something that seems mutually beneficial to you all. And as noted by some others dark bores are not always a deal breaker if they still have pretty decent rifling. If though it's a sewer pipe, no amount of cleaning is going to fix that.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
Only way to find that out is to clean it and put a bore light down it to see what you have. It still may have value as a collectible piece due to its history.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts