Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone out there might have an idea of the make, model or any information on this shotgun. I haven't been able to find anything on it.

Office supplies Automotive tire Metal Font Fashion accessory

Muffler Bumper Automotive exhaust Trigger Material property

Bottle Barware Eyewear Glass bottle Wood

Pen Office supplies Automotive exterior Writing implement Shotgun

Musical instrument Wood Folk instrument String instrument accessory String instrument

Office supplies Writing implement Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior

Gesture Grey Wall Wood Font
Wood Font Art Pattern Rectangle
Wood Font Creative arts Wood stain Metal
Wood Artifact Close-up Nail Metal

·
Registered
21,590 Posts
I feel like there has to be another mark somewhere. Your gun was Nitro-Proofed, and proofed in Gardone, Italy. The crown proofs are pre-1951, and MADE IN ITALY implies post-WWII production, but you can find Italian products marked that way long before most of the world's other countries began pandering to the English-speaking world by including Anglicized versions of their national name.

Sadly, without more info all we can do is almost-narrow it down to one of the 14 companies in Brescia that were producing similar SxS shotguns in the post-war years.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel like there has to be another mark somewhere. Your gun was Nitro-Proofed, and proofed in Gardone, Italy. The crown proofs are pre-1951, and MADE IN ITALY implies post-WWII production, but you can find Italian products marked that way long before most of the world's other countries began pandering to the English-speaking world by including Anglicized versions of their national name.

Sadly, without more info all we can do is almost-narrow it down to one of the 14 companies in Brescia that were producing similar SxS shotguns in the post-war years.
Thanks for checking it out. I couldn't find any other marks. I could pull off the fore grip and see if there is anything under that.

·
Registered
12,096 Posts
PHD, i wonder if the mark under the crown in his last picture could be identified somewhere. I am no where near any expert but I suspect that might be a company logo of some type.

·
Registered
21,590 Posts
PHD, i wonder if the mark under the crown in his last picture could be identified somewhere. I am no where near any expert but I suspect that might be a company logo of some type.
Yes. The marks under the crown stand for "Nitro proof" and "Gardone Brescia" specifically.

PSF stands for Polvere Senza Fumo, or "smokeless powder."

F. NITO is literally "Finito", and was the mark used in Gardone to show that a gun was completed, proofed and ready for sale.

The one in the shield is the Provisional mark for Gardone, which is the marking put on when the gun was "working" but not yet "finished"

·
Registered
12,096 Posts
Yes. The marks under the crown stand for "Nitro proof" and "Gardone Brescia" specifically.

F. NITO is literally "Finito", and was the mark used in Gardone to show that a gun was completed, proofed and ready for sale.

The one in the shield is the Provisional mark for Gardone, which is the marking put on when the gun was "working" but not yet "finished"
I yield to your expertise sir.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Thanks for checking it out. I couldn't find any other marks. I could pull off the fore grip and see if there is anything under that.
Yes I would pull the front forearm down. Under the wood there should be other marks or stampings. I have had quite a few old and new double barrels and there is usually marks or writing there.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I would pull the front forearm down. Under the wood there should be other marks or stampings. I have had quite a few old and new double barrels and there is usually marks or writing there.
Here are the markings I found under the hand guard.

Rectangle Wood Publication Material property Font

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I added a reply with the markings I found under the handguard.

·
Premium Member
10,242 Posts
Looks like the proof test pressures and gauge bore which they have Caliber abbreviated. Also 1950 is the year. Here is an info link for you . Shows Italian shotguns and the Finito'

1 - 15 of 15 Posts