Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own or have experience/knowledge about the Ithaca pump action -circa 1971 model

·
Registered
586 Posts
Beaky,
Model 37's of that era don't work well with reloads. The problem is the mag tube is too tight, and reloads with even slightly enlarged rims will stick in it. If you only shoot factory loads this is not a problem. If you want to shoot reloads there are two fixes. 1) only reload cases 3 or 4 times then discard them. 2) remove the mag tube and have someone polish it out about .005. The polish can be done with a flap of emery cloth on a split mandrel spun with a hand drill(a piece of drill rod or cold roll split with a hacksaw to hold the emery cloth,180-220 grit) The worst choke point is where the tube screws into the reciever. I've done several of these and the fix worked perfectly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI Dave, I will probably always be shooting factory ammo and not reloads, but thx for the advise, I may have it done (if I buy the gun) anyway.

·
Registered
814 Posts
my father once had a bet riding on an Ithica 37.

while working at a gunshop about a decade ago, a customer came in bragging about his five shot semiauto, and how it can out fire a pump. well, my father took the 37 off the rack, loaded eight rounds into the magazine, and offered the customer to come out back to the range. there they made a wager, first one empty gets $20.

my father fired all eight rounds before the customer was on his fourth.

the Ithica 37 is my personal favorite shotgun. simply because of the disconnect. if it had a detachable magazine, it would be the best shotgun in the world.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi folks, thanks for all your info, will be going down to the shop to purchase the Ithaca tomorrow

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Beaky said:
Hi folks, thanks for all your info, will be going down to the shop to purchase the Ithaca tomorrow
WELCOME BEAKY, stick around a while.
i thought English law banned all firearms to the general populace.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In the UK any semi or pump that is restricted to 3 shots is classified as a shotgun as opposed to a firearm and can be accquired on a shotgun license which I have.

3 shots plus needs a firearm license which can still be obtained by the general public but with very controlled and restricted use

Hand guns are a completed different story, very frounded upon in the UK

1 - 12 of 12 Posts