Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,217 Posts
I have nothing against woodchucks until they start digging holes in the pasture for cows and horses to break their legs in. I've told the story before about Grandpa calling in the clan to nail one that was digging up a pasture, I nailed him with one shot from my cousin Tom's .22 target rifle, and got my fanny tanned by my dad for firing the rifle without an adult present. The situation was shoot the bugger, who had shown up for the first time all day; or let him go because no adult was present. As I thought the object of the exercise was to get the woodchuck, I felt hard done by.

As an adult, I understand Dad's position, but it still rankles. The idea was to rid the farm of a menace, and I'd done that. He could have at least complimented me on making the shot after he spanked me!

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have nothing against woodchucks until they start digging holes in the pasture for cows and horses to break their legs in. I've told the story before about Grandpa calling in the clan to nail one that was digging up a pasture, I nailed him with one shot from my cousin Tom's .22 target rifle, and got my fanny tanned by my dad for firing the rifle without an adult present. The situation was shoot the bugger, who had shown up for the first time all day; or let him go because no adult was present. As I thought the object of the exercise was to get the woodchuck, I felt hard done by.

As an adult, I understand Dad's position, but it still rankles. The idea was to rid the farm of a menace, and I'd done that. He could have at least complimented me on making the shot after he spanked me!
It's not only that they dig holes around the property, they also get into the garden.
I've never gotten in any trouble for shooting them without an adult being there. I have however gotten yipped at for missing, dad would just give me that look and tell me that he taught me better than that.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,217 Posts
It's not only that they dig holes around the property, they also get into the garden.
I've never gotten in any trouble for shooting them without an adult being there. I have however gotten yipped at for missing, dad would just give me that look and tell me that he taught me better than that.
For a country-raised kid, this would make sense. But I was brought up in the suburbs, and the only .22 shooting I had done at that point was at my great-uncle's indoor shooting range in his basement with both him and Dad supervising, with CB rounds and .22 shorts. I think Dad was afraid I'd had an accident. I was only 8 or 9 at the time.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Nice job Mouser,good looking gun. Heavy barrel and adjustable sights? That $60 is looking better all the time.
Now not being a hunter I have to ask about a woodchuck near us at the lake. I will probably have to be the one to shoot it soon. It's becoming a pest. I've taken squirrel with a 22 lr rifle. Would like to get this guy with a 22 short cause noise. 20 yds tops. 29 gr 710 ft/ sec advertised vel. I have a 21" barrel and a 24" barrel rifle. Is it enough for a good kill?
Thanks, MRT.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice job Mouser,good looking gun. Heavy barrel and adjustable sights? That $60 is looking better all the time.
Now not being a hunter I have to ask about a woodchuck near us at the lake. I will probably have to be the one to shoot it soon. It's becoming a pest. I've taken squirrel with a 22 lr rifle. Would like to get this guy with a 22 short cause noise. 20 yds tops. 29 gr 710 ft/ sec advertised vel. I have a 21" barrel and a 24" barrel rifle. Is it enough for a good kill?
Thanks, MRT.

It is not the heavy barrel model, the sights are adjustable. As far as the groundhog head shoot it.

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For a country-raised kid, this would make sense. But I was brought up in the suburbs, and the only .22 shooting I had done at that point was at my great-uncle's indoor shooting range in his basement with both him and Dad supervising, with CB rounds and .22 shorts. I think Dad was afraid I'd had an accident. I was only 8 or 9 at the time.
My main mistake was I was trying to shoot to far for my ability at the time with a 22

·
Premium Member
9,526 Posts
I have quite a big supply of 22 CB Shorts and 22 shorts. I like shooting them from my single shot old bolt action or revolver. Those little things are pretty deadly on squirrels, rabbits and other smaller game and rodents

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
your ground chucks though related to our rock chucks must be blind.

the rock chucks I hunt will spot you at 300 yds. and watch you walk around them.
if you get close to 100yds away they evacuate at full speed.
if you look suspicious or slow down your vehicle when driving by they run.
if a cloud blows over they run for cover.

·
Registered
30 Posts
don't know about your stalking skills but if it were me I would use the most accurate rifle I had and good scope and TRY to get within 50 yds. using high-quality subsonic target ammo .head shot only. if your not confident you can get a good head shot at that range practice more.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,390 Posts
We had one going destructive under the neighbors shed a few weeks ago.
I’m in a semi rural sub division. Farm field out back.
Any way. Tried him with the .177 1200 Fps air gun first. Had about a 15 yard shot. Nailed him in the noggin. Should have been a bit more patient and put it in his eye or ear. My guess is he got a splitting head ache.

Next up, .22 shorts in the 37A. With the bolt lock feature and long barrel, shorts are pretty quiet.
Caught him in the field eating soy beans 30-35 yards. He was facing head on. Iron sights so don’t know exactly where shot placement was? I heard the “thump”
He started doing the funky chicken. I get going across the field to finish him and he gets upright and crawls into the woods
Looked for the body in the woods. No confirmation, but never seen him since.

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game

·
Registered
5,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
don't know about your stalking skills but if it were me I would use the most accurate rifle I had and good scope and TRY to get within 50 yds. using high-quality subsonic target ammo .head shot only. if your not confident you can get a good head shot at that range practice more.
I've killed them from 10 yards with a bow to 450 yards with a 22-250. I have no issues killing them, I just want an original AK-47 that goes full auto so I can let one get so far out from its hole so I can chase him back to it to see how fast it can run. Killing them is easy.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,120 Posts
They're nasty critters, good job !

Agree with jerry, they're destructive. Not only do they undermine foundations and siding but also make huge complexes of hole condos in fields (which I step in, fall, and roll over several times). These last a long time (I eradicated a bunch several years ago and there's still a woodchuck-hole complex at exactly the 50 yard line from the fire pit to the gas line in our meadow--although it is helpful in figuring out where 50 yards to targets are. But I and our mowers often fall into it so I use it to set up some midway IDPA targets when I'm there and that way I don't forget where it is and do my fall and roll act).

Most of mine have been shot around 100 yards-ish with an M4 although these have ranged from conversational distance (with a Glock 19) to a couple hundred. I've also used a .22 LR fairly extensively (especially where a flatter shooting/higher energy round might be a problem) and had a record (for me -- .22LR pistol like yours) hit at around 75-90 yards with a Ruger MK 3 (rested shot off the hood of the Honda Element).

I rarely get more than one shot opportunity if it's not a good hit.

Some groundhogs are fairly wiley. Mom could have been out there gardening all day but when I break line of sight with an EBR they take off.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts