close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

It's official, I've went and done it too, again ...

Discussion in 'Rimfire Rifles' started by gsbuickman, Oct 26, 2017.

1. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Hiya Guys :) ...

So my mailman came through my neighborhood today and dropped off my see-thru Optics rail for my 10/22 :). I chose the see thru rail because I prefer to have the option of being able to use the Optics and the iron sights, that's how I prefer to set all my rifles up if I can. Unfortunately the basic rail that sit's flat on top of the receiver doesn't give you that option.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-10-22-1022-High-Profile-See-Thru-PicatinnyWeaver-Base-Scope-Mount-w-Screws/152107419610?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

needless to say I pulled out my bottle of medium blue thread lock and got to work installing it which almost seemed like an exercise in futility. Whoever designed flat head screws should be put against the wall, given a blindfold and a last cigarette and Sumarily Shot :mad: . I finally got the rail installed and since I had a set of tall Weaver rings I decided to put my vintage Weaver K4-W fixed 4x wideangle scope on this since it's naturally not as accurate as my high standard or Stevens savage. As far as the glass goes It's Made in Japan so the clarity and the magnification are excellent and it's Crystal Clear as expected from Japanese glass. A 50-yard shot is like I've got a seat in the front row, but 100 yards or so is about the maximum comfort zone for this magnification. What's really surprising is the eye relief 4 the scope as old as this. Believe it or not this thing has a 4.5" eye relief, you don't find that very often with vintage glass ;).

20171109_154400.jpg
    20171109_154530.jpg
    20171109_154114.jpg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    rando, neophyte and BaserRonin like this.
  2. gsbuickman

Well sh!t folks, if this stock is made of birch wood it's apparently a somewhat dark splotchy wood. I pulled the receiver out of the stock and proceeded to strip it down and get rid of the ugly Ruger finish in preparation to restain it with the light blonde Colonial Maple stain that I bought.. Well, I sanded the snot outta this thing & this is how it turned out. It's pretty splotchy with a lot of dark and a lot of light areas instead of being a consistent color from one end of the stock to the other. I'm kind of hesitant to try the blonde stain on this because I'm afraid it just won't turn out very well, so I'm kind of wondering if I should use the can of Minwax Gunstock #231 that I have instead, idk??.

20171112_232619.jpg 20171112_231839.jpg 20171112_231831.jpg 20171112_231823.jpg 20171112_231816.jpg 20171112_231746.jpg

neophyte likes this.

3. Jaison

Jaison They who choose safety over liberty gain neither Forum Contributor

Yonder
    Had similar problems re-finishing a 10/22 stock. Good luck, brother. It'll turn out beautiful.

rando and neophyte like this.
  4. gsbuickman

Thanks bro :), I forgot about that. Weren't you trying to do like a light blonde stain job on that and you ended up restripping it and using that black textured paint with that silvery glitter in it /

5. Jaison

Yonder
    Yessir!

Tried a darker stain first attempting to mask the different wood tones. Then tried several other stains, paints and a wax.

Ended up taking it down to the wood again and staining it some kind of Oak. It turned out pretty good.

neophyte likes this.
  6. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist

GSBUICKMAN, it may be just me but your scope appears canted to the right. That would effect points of impact in two different directions when making a scope adjustment for vertical or horizontal. Again may just be me , but that is how I see it in the picture.

neophyte likes this.
  7. gsbuickman

Thanks, you are correct :). The crosshairs are Plumb and square with the receiver but the aperture was canted a little bit but that can be adjusted separately without moving the tube, now that I have the crosshairs level with the receiver I adjusted the aperture for the sharpest focus on the Target and made sure the eyepiece was Square :) .

neophyte and SUBMOA like this.
  8. gsbuickman

Oops, sorry guys, guess I jumped the gun a little bit, my bad. Now that it's not one in the a.m. and I got a better look at this thing in the daylight while working on my morning mug of java, this thing didn't turn out too bad really :) . This thing definitely looks a lot better in the daylight then it did late last night before I crawled in bed. I think this thing will turn out pretty nice with that Colonial Maple stain I picked up for it after all :) ...

20171113_111021.jpg 20171113_111006.jpg 20171113_111046.jpg 20171113_111102.jpg 20171113_111121.jpg

Attached Files:

neophyte and Jaison like this.
  9. gsbuickman

Well folks, here are a few pics that I took off my balcony after I finished restaining it. It's kind of a cloudy overcast day so there's not much light to work with and I really couldn't see what I was taking pictures of with the glare on the screen of my phone but I didn't do too bad. It turns out that the Minwax Colonial Maple 223 doesn't have a honey blonde tint to it at all, it's more like a light tongue oil or motorcycle fork oil in color. I put the 1st coat on and it was really light. I pit a 2nd coat on and it was slightly darker and starting to take shape. I put a 3rd coat on and let it soak in a little more before wiping it down real good with some fresh paper towels and it turned out real nice, unfortunately with the crappy lighting outside the pictures don't do it justice

20171113_131356.jpg 20171113_131350.jpg 20171113_131306.jpg
    View attachment 86391
    View attachment 86390

Attached Files:

neophyte and Jaison like this.
  10. Jaison

Yonder
    Looking good, brother. You gonna show us when she's done, right?

11. gsbuickman

And it's back together :). It may not have that honey blonde look that I usually prefer but what it does have is that burnished Smokey bronze look instead with some really nice wood grain shading that the stain brought out. This reminds me a lot of my grandpa's go to bolt action that he preferred to use, and I don't know what model it was but I always loved that look and I definitely like this one a lot better than the fugly Factory Ruger stain.

20171113_132831.jpg 20171113_132805.jpg 20171113_132737.jpg 20171113_132728.jpg
    20171113_132709.jpg

12. Jaison

Yonder
    Well done, gs! Sweet stock on that critter. Now it's range report time. Lol!

neophyte and gsbuickman like this.
  13. gsbuickman

Yep, while I had the receiver out of the stock I was planning on replacing the trigger return spring with a spring from a ballpoint pen, or as Big Doggie callls it, the Pentel pen trick, unfortunately I spaced it off. Now I have to pull the receiver out of the stock again and look into getting it done...

neophyte likes this.
  14. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

I like it. Sure reminds me of my first 10/22. Made in 66 according to serial no. man all the walnut floatin around in those days on guns we took for granted.

Jaison, neophyte and gsbuickman like this.
  15. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    Great work GS. What kind of scope was that?

gsbuickman, Jaison and neophyte like this.
  16. gsbuickman

Thanks :) . It's a vintage Weaver K4-W fixed 4x wideangle scope :)

neophyte likes this.