Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally convinced my wife(boss) that it's time to complete the gift she started last Christmas.

At that time she "forced" me to accept a brand new, out of box Remington 700 BDL in 30-06 rifle. After a proper amount of thinking about this(about 1 second) I accepted and have been floating around since then just waiting to buy and have mounted an equally nice scope.

Since December I've shopped around (Dicks Sporting Goods and Cabalas), looked through advice given by you guys on g&g, and have decided upon the Leupold 3x9x40 scope in a matte finish.

Can't wait to get over to Cabalas and lay down about 3 C notes for the scope. That includes bore sigting. Then...it's time to head to the farm and put out the targets against the hill.

Now that's how a wife can really make a man happy.
Of course, she deserves something really nice from me now and I'll be sure to say yes with no questions asked.

Ox:nod:

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,326 Posts
I still like good 'ol Bushnel! :right:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I GOT ONE OF THEM PAN-TECH SCOPES

:D :D :D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I got the BSA 8x32 target scope a few months ago for the .17HMR. Nice scope but when its cranked up to 32 power you wouldnt believe how much the target moves around! You can sure see the tiniest movement at that power. I couldnt stand seeing the target move with every heartbeat so I set it down to 20X. Thats still pretty high but makes the 100 yard bullseye as big as a pie plate.

·
Registered
321 Posts
OX Ya can't go wrong with the Leupold.Crystal clear optics and they can take some punishment.The lifetime guaratee and service are great. Had to send one back after dropping my rifle out of a stand one time.Cracked a lens and put a big dent in the tube.10 day turnaround and I believe they sent me a brand new one.Never had a problem out of it. Just my 02cts

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts
:assult: :assult: :assult: :assult: :assult:

I got a couple of Taxcos, for the s/g and the .308.

So far so good, and for the price, I'm really happy.

You can't go wrong with the Leoupold, so go for it and enjoy

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,226 Posts
Don't skimp on the rings and bases. My 700 BDL wears a Simmons & the Leopold Bases and rings. Best rings money can buy IHOHO.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The deer I'm dreaming about this Winter doesn't have a chance. Can't wait to look at his eyes through my new Leupold 3x9x40. That is...before I close them with the first shot.(ha)I wish?

Thanks guys for your comments.

Now...what would be a fair gift to show appreciation to my wife for her generosity? What about another gun for her? Hmmmmmm? Doubt that she really wants that but I'm definitely on the spot now.(ha)

Ox :nod:

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
if ya got the money look into the springfield scopes! OMG! they are amazing! personally i cant afford em but my brother in law got one for his 300 rum and that thing is just awsome!

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts

Ox, you can't go wrong with something with diamonds!!!!

The question is how big is ok!!

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:cheer: Good idea Mandy, and I could use the new scope to examine it for imperfections. Might bet thrown out of the store before I got to the display case.:D ;)

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts
:D

·
FREE CITIZEN
2,089 Posts

I don't know anything about diamonds, but I bought one of those magnifying glass used by jewellers and when I'm buying something I take it out and look at the piece, after this the seller treats me better and with more respect.

In the last 3 years doing this, I've manage to start (enphasis in starting) recognizing a good piece from an average one.

I still have a longgggggg way to go but it's fun to see the piece through the glass.

A couple of times I forgot to bring mine and I asked for a glass at the store, but the results aren't that good.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Diamonds work well. I made the mistake of agreeing to buy my wife a new sewing machine, I wish I had agreed to jewlery instead. I was thinking about $300-$400, the machine she wanted ran over $1,500! OX, I hope you don't accidently promise more then you can deliver.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This scope could become verrrrrrryyyy costly(ha)

Dhermesc and Mandy: This afternoon my wife and I went to Cabelas where she bought me a Leupold 3x9x40 scope and attempted to have the salesman in the guns area sight-mount the scope. Unfortunately, as we were walking to the cashier I asked him if he'd locked the bolt assembly as a safety measure. After giving me a puzzling look he examined the gun and found that in his mounting process he'd done something which caused the receiver area to bind the bolt assembly to the point that it wouldn't move.

Therefore, I'll gladly have another excuse to go to Cabelas in a few days when he gets the thing mounted properly. I only live 30 minutes away so it's not much bother, plus I'll probably find something else I need(ha) while I'm there.

Partially it was my fault because I was unintentionally pressuring him to have it ready in about 30 minutes because my wife had to get back home for a meeting. As a result I'm sure he barely got the scope in place when he saw me waiting at the counter, not leaving him time to really examine the gun carefully. I'm sure a qualified gunsmith, though, would have found the problem long before I discoverd it as I was sighting it around Cabelas's ceiling looking for deer.(ha)

:D :nod:

And yes, I'd already bought her a 3/4 Karet diamond a few years back. In fact I even tried to upsize that diamond after 3-4 years but she wouldn't let me trade it in on something bigger. That temporarily stopped our diamond shopping but this could be time to reconsider spending some of my kids future inheritance.(ha)

Ox ;) :D :nod:

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We're a moving target now.

Hey! We've been moved. Guess BattleRifleG3 is asserting his new authority. We'll see how long we can keep this thread going now that it's been relagated to Siberia.(ha)

Just kidding you BattleRifleG3. I should have started this thread here in the first place.

Ox :D :nod:

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Roger dodger....always good to fire up a quiet forum.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My words may get moved back to the gun room because they're not about optics. :D

Oneastrix: Yes things are a little quiet here in Siberia...even a little slow tonight over in the Gun Room. Guess everyone's cooling their heels after a hot day. Hey...we've had over a hundred degrees for about a week straight. Saw 108 one time today on my car thermometer about 3p.m.

Didn't bother me too much, though, because this even starting at 6:45 I played three sets of tennis outdoors and consumed a full gallon of ice water. That's a lot better than moping around and staying inside. :nod:

Hey...have a great night and a better tomorrow.

Ox:nod:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts