Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past 6 or so months I've been studying about which Mossberg turkey shotgun to buy.
Would it be one of the new 535ATS pump action turkey models or one of the new 930 semi-auto turkey models.
I am in love with both of them !
I've made the disision to buy the 930 in synthetic matte finish model with 24" barrell to save a few bucks, the camo ones cost more.
The only upgrade I'll make to this gun is the sights, all of the Mossberg turkey shotguns come with ajustable turkey sights, but this one.
So I'll have to buy turkey sights.

Do any members or visitors have any information about the new 930 ?
I will be placeing an order in 2 to 3 weeks, your input would be very appreciated.

Also do any of yall hunt squarrels with turkey shotguns, as stated above the barrell is 24" and with a turkey choke it would seem an excellent squarrel gun.
Thank you A.H

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Well A.H. those are both fine choices but would ya think less of me if'n I told yew I am a side by side doubles man when it comes to my hunting shotguns? I mean I like autos and pumps for security and defense, but there is just something that feels so very right about a well balanced side by side as you're tracking a covey of quail!
PS: This ******* uses nothin but 22's on squirrels so I really got no preference there.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks ezearln...We have a lot of cat squarrells around these parts, but they want be still long enough for me to hit one of them bastids !
I've got to use a shotgun. As far as a dbl shotguns I prefer the pump or auto loader...I currently own 2 12 ga. 870's and 1 1100 12 ga.magnum and 1 20 ga. single shot.
I'm hopeing the Mossberg will be much lighter weight and take abuse and the Mossberg will be my all purpose shotgun.
Like a lot of gun nutz though I don't really need it, But I've got to have it ! Sound familar ?...A.H

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Hmmm sorta like me trying to convince the Missus I so very much need that CZ52 pistol? LOL

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Yeah, AH?... Me too!!! I just can't afford it. :09:

I wants me a Benelli M3 Super 90... but I don't have the requisite $1000. :eek5:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Keep in mind AH, that a 24 inch barrel on an Autoloader will be longer than on a SxS or O/U. I HAVE used an Ithaca MAG-10 on squirrels, but that was because I wanted the splat factor......

·
Registered
72 Posts
a turkey gun should work fine on squirrels as long as you aren't shooting at them with the same ammo you hunt turkey with you just might blow it into a few pieces. 1 - 1 1/8 oz a 6s or 7s will work great.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dang it bigandrich44 you've made me laugh more than any member on this forum...SPLAT...LMAO 10ga.hahaha ! How old are you ? LMAO.

michiganhunter I would use #6's and thank all yall for the comments...A.H

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I haven't had any dealings with the Mossberg semi-auto's, but they make a good pump. You might want to go with a mod. choke on the squirrels, or you may not have much left to clean. Please let us know how it shoots.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I promise an extensive report ! Because I feel Mossberg has given us an affordable semi-auto shotgun that has good looks and will hang with or beat out the big boys. We will see...A.H

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Actually, Im a 6 foot 160 pound 14 year old. I aspire to create my own gun company someday.
Keep up those aspirations... from what I've seen on this forum, I'd buy from ya! ;)

Just make sure there's a "G&G discount".:D

·
Registered
491 Posts
Good choice of shotgun , and you could get other barrels for it, but it sounds like you have other squirrel guns.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
trapfreek thank you.
What i'm looking for is a shotgun that I don't mind bumping or scratching that will be an all purpose shotgun for turkey and squarrels, no duck hunting.
This paticular shot gun has a nice semi hump receiver and the edges are angled all the way to the stock. The barrell is ported, I don't know about that.
It's also liter than the ones I own. It's a good looking shotgun and I believe it's what I'm looking for. We shall see...A.H

As soon as I opened my eyes from a peaceful night sleep this morning I was thinking.....
Geeez I outta buy me a more potent concealed carrie pistol and give my KelTec 32 auto to my wife. Or may be an SKS, Mosin, AK !
I don't need another shotgun ! But I really want one aHhhhhhhhhhhhh !!!!
What to do...Somebody help me ! The gun buy'in bug is biteing me !
HELP !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well yesterday I sat out to buy or order the shotgun I've been wanting and dearn it no one has it and no ones source's have it in stock ! I even called sporting goods stores within a 100 mile radious of where I live to know avail...I guess because it's new but came out in 2006 no ones stocking it yet.
What I did find interesting in my search is the prices I was quoted to buy it. I think Mossberg has set the retail price at $ 501.00.
WalMart wants $ 419.00 a pawn shop here will sell it to me for $ 388.00 and the shop down the road will sell it to me for $ 20.00 dollars over cost which would be $ 376.00 he showed me the price on his computer monitor his cost was $ 356.00. All I heard yesterday was check back in 2 weeks to a month.

My hunting buddy has an ffl if I need his services,, so what has been yalls luck at ordering a long gun from the Internet ???
Your comments would be appreciated...A.H

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Well A.H. the Missus asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year so's I told her I want me one of them CZ52(513) Pistols and a couple spare magazines. She likes to shoot too but she just rolled her eyes at me and I asked her "What?" Last year she got me a new rod and reel for my birthday I was happy LOL

·
Registered
589 Posts
lol nice. well AH to answer your question I havent ordered a long gun on the internet and actually in a shotgun I really wouldnt mind a Benneli M4 Tactical as my home defence/ hunting shotgun I kinda like the combat sights and I know it is reliable otherwise why would the sailors and marines have them aboard ship

1 - 20 of 48 Posts