Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the big Colorado Gun Collectors Association Gun Show today. I was there to browse, so had very little cash on me. The 4th table in the door had a nice Iver Johnson Model X.

I paid a little more than I wanted to for it, the guy cleaned me out actually, but it is extremely clean. So far as I know, there is almost no data on SN manufacture dates. Based on the stock, and it's 36k serial number, I think this one was manufactured in the mid 1930's, likely near, but before 1935.

The top says Iver Johnson Self Cocking Safety Rifle, and it has the Canadian patent number on it.

This one features the lighter stock with the foreward bump on it and a large takedown screw. It has a case hardened bolt, which I have not seen before. The barrel is shiny clean, and there is no wear on the bolt or extractor. It's almost like it's never been fired.

These are not expensive rifles, but I have a hard time walking away from them. Especially when they are unique (this is the broken bolt safety).

I'm having trouble getting a good photo because the lighting is poor right now. I'll get some posted as soon as I get a reasonable one though.

If anyone knows more about these and wants to provide some information I'd love to hear it, even if it's just that I'm wrong on the date of manufacture.

·
Premium Member
9,640 Posts
I am only familiar with the Iver Johnson shotguns as I have a few and a revolver. I know some of the Iver Johnsons were made by their Cycle Works factories.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I have one.. they were made from about 1928 to 1941...here is a sale pic
ModelX.jpg
I also have some more stuff about the safety and its design if you are interested. PM me and I will send it to you in a PDF form.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,312 Posts
That is called a "Schnabel fore end". I have an old vintage Mossberg twentytwo rifle with it.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is called a "Schnabel fore end". I have an old vintage Mossberg twentytwo rifle with it.
I looked like I knew what I was doing yesterday when I asked the lady at the LGS to show me a rifle, referring to it as "the one with the Schnabel fore end".

·
36,312 Posts
I looked like I knew what I was doing yesterday when I asked the lady at the LGS to show me a rifle, referring to it as "the one with the Schnabel fore end".
Yep, we try to at least look like we know our stuff! ;)
I have heard some tragically funny stuff in gun&pawn shops!

Reactions: Wabbit slayer

·
Registered
6,898 Posts
He'll

Hell yeah, nice score :) . I have an affinity for the early vintage 22's. My latest of which is an early Stevens Buckhorn 66 bolt action tube feed from the early to mid 1930's . I hope the bore on the iver is nice and it comes clean and shiny and turns out to be a really nice shooter . I find the Vintage Classics to be far better Shooters than any of the newer off-the-shelf production junk these days :) .

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He'll

Hell yeah, nice score :) . I have an affinity for the early vintage 22's. My latest of which is an early Stevens Buckhorn 66 bolt action tube feed from the early to mid 1930's . I hope the bore on the iver is nice and it comes clean and shiny and turns out to be a really nice shooter . I find the Vintage Classics to be far better Shooters than any of the newer off-the-shelf production junk these days :) .
I foamed the bore, oiled the bolt, and took it to the range.
It will shoot as tight as I can hold it at 25 yards. 25 was about the limit for my eyes with those sights on that day.

·
36,312 Posts
Age sucks. Most of my guns can shoot so much better than I can! :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would love to get ahold of some documentation for my Iver Johnson Model X! It was my grandfather’s rifle and I am working on having it restored. Can you send me a PDF file of what you have available for the model X, please and thank you very much?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have one.. they were made from about 1928 to 1941...here is a sale pic
View attachment 93808
I also have some more stuff about the safety and its design if you are interested. PM me and I will send it to you in a PDF form.
I am unable to send you a private message for some reason. I would love to get a copy of your documents related to the Iver Johnson model x!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts