Jams with PA-63

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by kzp7, May 19, 2008.

1. kzp7

kzp7 Guest

When I took my PA-63 out to the range for its first test firing it kept having trouble with my Wolf ammo hanging up half way through the cycle. There are a couple of things that look like they could be the problem but I am not sure which one it is. I don't think it is the feed ramp, it shows a little wear and has a little roughness to it but is fairly smooth all together. The face of the bolt is very rough and I looks like sometimes the rim of the cases hang up on it. But I think the most likely problem is the feed lips at the top of the clip, which are sharp and leave deep scratches in the cases and I think things are hanging up here.

Anybody else had this issue? Should I polish these areas and what type of polishing compound should I use?

2. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I would start by smoothing the feed lips with a fine-cut file and\or an Arkansas Oil Stone. Mags are one of the biggest probs with any semi-auto.

3. Pope130

Pope130 G&G Enthusiast

+1 for toolman's suggestion. Look at the magazine first. Try a different mag if you have one. If that fixes it then the problem then is probably the angle that the magazine feed lips present the cartridge to the feed ramp. Try cleaning them up and polishing first. If that fails you can bend them gently. Be very careful doing this as it's easy to go to far. I use a chain nose plier to avoid maring the metal (Chain nose are like a needle nose, but with tapered round jaws, you can find them at hobby shops for jewelry making or Radio Shack).

Does it jam with a different brand of ammo? If not then it's probably a question of the overall length of the loaded round, and the bullet shape of the Wolf ammo. The simple solution is to switch to a brand it does like. Alternatively you may have luck having the feed ramp shaped and polished.

Robert Klaus

4. rmm63

rmm63 G&G Newbie

I had the same problem with my PA-63 even after I smoothed the magazine lips. Next I examined the ramp after firing a bunch of rounds. There were clean streaks in the powder residue on the ramp near where the alloy portion of the ramp meets the steel portion at the chamber. It seemed to me that the angle of the alloy portion ramp was greater than that of the steel near where they meet. That caused bullet to enter the chamber at a sharper angle than it should. Then the nose of the bullet "jammed" into the top of the chamber and got caught there instead of sliding on in.

Since the alloy is pretty soft, I used the blade of a small screw driver to scrape away some alloy right the junction of alloy and steel. I worked cross-wise on the ramp, not in the up/down direction. Removal of only a small amount of material seems to have corrected the slope of the ramp enough, and I have had no more jams.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  5. kzp7

kzp7 Guest

rmm63, the problem you described sounds exactly like mine. Most of the time the guns jams because the nose of the bullet stuck against the top of the chamber while feeding. I see what you mean about the alloy ramp angle being sharper than the steel ramp.

I will try some different ammo out at the range today. If the feed problem is only with Wolf then I just wont shoot it. I am getting ready to start reloading my own ammo and just bought the Wolf to try out my new gun while I am waiting for my reloading supplies to come in. If the feed problem persists I will probably modify the feed ramp as suggested. I'll also work on the clip even though I'm not as sure now that it is my main problem. It doesn't seem quite right to me. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for all sugguestions.

6. jrh55

jrh55 G&G Regular

most likely the mag is the problem , but it could be the coating ( shelaic ) on the wolf ammo if it is to soft , use a ink marker to paint the ramp it will show how the bullet is contacting the ramp , smooth the bolt face with an arkansaw stone , and check the extractor for burrs that might be stopping the rim from going under it and by all means pick up an extra mag to see if that helps after all nobody needs just one good luch jrh55

7. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

My PA-63 shoots just fine, never had a jam that I can recall. Kicks like a little mule, and the DA trigger pull sucks, but it works just fine.

8. HogManMagnum

HogManMagnum Guest

took my unused/unissued PA-63 to the range for the first time on sunday, it jammed once in 50 rds. shell caught on edge of mag. sometimes the bullets dont seat right and the feed lips scrape the hell out of the casings. gonna polish feed lips on mag see if that helps, also ordering 2 mags from j&g sales soon as payday comes around...

9. Zen900

Zen900 Guest

Mags are problematic in C&R or Surplus guns. I have had a couple of mags that I threw in the trash they fed so bad.

10. musicmaniac

musicmaniac G&G Enthusiast

Bought my PA-63 from J&G just a few months ago and haven't had a problem at all. I got the one mag that came with the gun and bought another from them. Both looked GREAT. Almost unused! I have only put 100 rounds through mine so far, but haven't had a single jam with either mag yet.

11. HogManMagnum

HogManMagnum Guest

nice to hear, musicmaniac. the pa-63 is a purdy lil thang and a pretty strait shooter. cant wait to get new grips and a nice IWB holster for her

shame good mak ammo is so hard to find locally...

12. I was looking at some FEG PA-63 yesterday at the gunshop for $129.00. I just can't get myself to buy one.

13. HogManMagnum

HogManMagnum Guest

why not? its a good looking reliable gun thats not too big or bulky. consider it a carry peice or a throwaway tacklebox/glovebox gun

14. PA 63

What caliber is PA 63 anyway? Is that 9mm or .380?

15. Pope130

Pope130 G&G Enthusiast

Originally 9x18 Makarov, some have been converted to 9x17 (380 ACP).

The 9x18 is roughly half way between the 380 and 9mm Parabellum in power. It's a pretty stern cartridge, about the max you'd want in an unlocked breach pocket pistol. Some places it's hard to come by. The 380 is more readily available, has more choices in bullet weight and configuration and is a bit more gentle on the pistol and shooter. Ya' pays your money and ya' takes your choice.

There are conversion barrels available if you change your mind later.

Robert

16. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Ron, you might want to think about buying one of Wolff's spring sets - they coast about $30 - to tame the recoil and lighten the DA trigger pull. I've read a lot of posts that say this little chage goeas a long way toward making the PA-63 either a fun plinker or a good concealed-carry gun.

17. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Thanks, but I've already done that. I put in the recoil spring, but I haven't gotten my lazy azz around to doing the others. The recoil spring did help. It'll be even better once I start handloading my ammo for it. I don't care for that uber-hot Russky stuff. I have five 1911's in .45, so the 63 doesn't see much action anymore.