close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

JAN 42 SA, worth more than your average bear?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Eric, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Hey guys, For the past 20 years I've been a 'black' rifle guy. But I've had an M1 and a M1A for a long time. I used the M1A on the Ft. Sill Rifle team in the mid 80's. Anyway, I got curious about the DOM on my SA Garand. The SN 496xxx, the way I looked it up, says that it was made in JAN 42. My question, is that worth any more or any less than other M1s or is it just a run of the mill manufacturing date? Just curious. TIA. Good Shooting! Eric

2. As I said on the CSP Forum, it depends on what other parts you have on the rifle that match. It the only thing 1942 is the receiver, probably not much more than any other similar M1. If you've got a matching barrel, it's worth more. Matching stock and other major parts, the value goes up expotntially.

If you can get a hold of Scott Duff's book on the WWII Garand, he's got about three rifle data sheets on rifles close to yours in date. Compare your parts to his or post the parts you can i.d. on this and/or the CSP forum and we'll give you a hand.