Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gun I inherited from my father. It is a model 51 JC Higgens Mauser 30-06 that was marketed through Sears back in the 50's and 60's. It is a comercial varient of the Model 98 Mauser. Mine was made in Belguim by FN. The problem I'm having is that when I cock the bolt it will fire on it's own if I turn the safety on and then attempt to release it, or if I try raising the bolt once it is already cocked. I went online for instruction on how to disassemble the bolt and examine it which I did. Inspected, cleaned and put it back together but didn't help. Any help or info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I too have one of those old JC Higgins rifles and while I haven't had any problems with it I do remember taking the bolt apart years ago and having a hard time getting it back together. Could your problem be in the trigger? That is a real simple rifle, can't be to hard to fix.

I inherited mine from my dad as well it's a model 50 last four of seriel no. 8302

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've got one of those too, great rifle :)
When i was younger i thought it was junk because it was sears and i was like what the heck good is a sears rifle...I got older and looked into it some more and now I enjoy it like the rest of my rifles.

I haven't had any issues with mine either

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
or send to me, and I'll protect it from itself....:09:

+1 to what Moosefluffer said....it needs a visit to the gun-doctor. It shouldn't cost much for labor, considering the simplicity of it....parts may be different story tho it sounds like it could be simple fix.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I was at the range last friday and a neighbor came out and he had a JC Higgins mauser in -06. His is in a lot better shape than mine. My Dad was a cowboy and his old -06 spent all it's life on a gunrack in a truck or leaning against the wall in the shop. It has a lot of battle scars but still shoot dead on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
JC Higgans

I own one in .270. My Grandfather had it restocked and re barreled with a Sako barrel and custom Monte Carlo stock right after he bought it. Without a doubt one of the most accurate guns I have ever shot. Tack driver all the way.
I have never had any issues with mine, as was mentioned before, the Mauser bolt can be a fickle lady so I would find a reputable gunsmith and let them check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a gun I inherited from my father. It is a model 51 JC Higgens Mauser 30-06 that was marketed through Sears back in the 50's and 60's. It is a comercial varient of the Model 98 Mauser. Mine was made in Belguim by FN. The problem I'm having is that when I cock the bolt it will fire on it's own if I turn the safety on and then attempt to release it, or if I try raising the bolt once it is already cocked. I went online for instruction on how to disassemble the bolt and examine it which I did. Inspected, cleaned and put it back together but didn't help. Any help or info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
9,653 Posts
Do you have pics of the bolt out of the rifle and inside the receiver. I am very familiar with this type action and bolt. Sounds like the sear on the trigger is worn maybe and should hold against the bolt. You take safety off and fires sounds like sear letting go. Welcome to Gun & Game. You should go into the introduction thread and introduce yourself

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. It’s 13 years later but this might save someone’s life.
I have the Higgins 30-06 model 50 and found out how it almost killed my son after it fired while chambering on our last hunting trip. Thankfully i was playing it safe and pointing it out into the trees while chambering the gun. I inspected this hunk of crap all through out and found the problem. The internal trigger lever and the firing lever come together and have a small notch that stops the firing pin from releasing. These 2 levers are held together by the 2 bolts that go through the stock and into the metal framing. If 1 of those 2 bolts becomes loose after 60 years, like mine, the 2 levers separate which allows the notch in the levers to separate. There for, the gun fires when taking it off of safety or chambering.
Really stupid and dangerous design! This is the first rifle I’ve ever taken part to inspect so I don’t know if this is how all rifles are designed but I will never trust this gun again. Not worth killing someone just to save a few hundred bucks. if you have one of these guns, I’d recommend disassembling and disposing. Just my opinion after seeing how it actually operates.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts