Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for receipe for either and a easy way to do it trying to save the 7-8 dollars a pound. also do u use a smaller caseing for the hot stick or the regular caseing sold in stores

·
Registered
173 Posts
Deer jerky

I've been useing this for years. Cut meat about 1/8 inch thick, across grain as much as possible. Start with 8 oz. each of liquid smoke,soy sauce and Worcestershire, 1/4 cup maple syrup, can of coke, garlic powder, black pepper taste (I use about 2 Tb. garlic 1/8 cup black pep.) mix well marinate over night dry in food dryer the Ronco dehydrator type with multiple racks takes a day to dry shifting the racks as bottom layers dry first . When it's dry but you can bend it without breaking bag or seal it all together for a day or two so it will equalize as some will be to dry and other not dry enough. This will do 30 or 40 lbs. raw weight. Don't be afraid to experiment with your favorite tastes teriyaki instead of soy sauce etcetera.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Well I used to make it as a kid in the dehydrator but now I have a smoker and prefer to use it. There are several recipes to use. Look on Cooks.com or just type deer jerky recipes in your search engine and you will find hundreds of good recipes. The one I used was similar to Hickorynut's but I didn't add the can of coke or maple syurp. I used Worchestershire sauce, lots of garlic, lots of black pepper, and red pepper flakes. I would use salt as well. I would add just enough water to help coat the meat with all the ingredients. Mine was more of a dry rub style. I just tried different ingredients until it tasted good. Some worked others not so well.
They also sale Jerky seasoning at sporting good stores and i've tried it. I prefer just throwing something together on my own. That's part of the fun of making something from scratch.

Scott

·
Registered
314 Posts
i use a dry brine ... i take 2 cups brown sugar amd 1/2 cup cure salt, dr. told me to cut back on the salt, but then add onion powder, galic powder and paprica. put it all in a zip lock bag and mix. add meat cut about 3/8 thick strips and put in bag and mix. put it in tupperware and in the fridge over night... then rinse it off and mix up everything but the salt and mix it up again.... then in the smoker in the water pan i put apple juice and use apple wood and smoke it .....

·
Banned
14,554 Posts
Never made venison jerky. But when I was a kid, we rubbed strips of beef with salt, pepper and garlic powder, hung them over dowels on a wooden rack, set them atop our roof in a screened box, and let the desert sun do its thing.

We cured jerky until it was rock hard, and when we ate it we snapped off pieces and sucked on them like hard candy. We also broke it up and made stew with it when camping...

·
Premium Member
30,670 Posts
freezing the meat partially before you slice it across the grain makes it easy to get it nice and thin.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Good advice Billy! Troy, that is the way we ate "jerky" when hunting as a child. We used to eat a small piece with a piece of dried apple. Worked on it like a plug of chew, with an ocassional sip of water. Brings back memories!

·
Registered
649 Posts
Ok, this recipe is for feral goat, never tried it on venison but.....
I also have a drier, there pretty cheap and is good for fruit for the kids too.
for 2kg (?4 pounds?)
finely slice meat, i slice with the grain to make them chewier.
in a separate bowl
1 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons lemon juice
half cup olive or canola oil
half a small bottle hot chilly sauce not tabasco i use 300ml bottle ayam
1 teaspoon smokey bbq powder
1 tablespoon salt

mix and pour over meat.
My container is wide and flat and can turn over (both base and lid are deep)
Turn over or stir 2 time a day for 2 days.
Put in dryer for about 7 hours, flipping meat over once.
Start checking after 5 hours and the smaller bits will be ready so remove. if you have cut too thick it will take longer.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
everybody thats had this has loved it.

15-20 ounces soy sauce
15 ounces worcestershire sauce
15 ounces teriayaki sauce
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
2 TEASPOONS cayenne pepper ( can us up to 4 teaspoons, but that gets mighty warm)
5 ounces of liquid smoke (any brand/flavor is OK)
4 oounces molasses

stir together well, and soak your venison strips for at least an hour
dry in oven or dehydrator
original recipe was not mine, but i modified it for my tastes

as billy mentioned , its easier to slice when meat is still fairly well frozen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts