Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hunted with my buddy in Central IL. The first season is 3 days with another 4 day to follow in a couple of weeks. I could not hunt the second part due to work.

That said. I don't normally shoot the smaller bucks, I'd rather have a doe. It got down to crunch time, the does were way small and I like to eat venison. So, I harvested a 4 point. Got alot of good meat from him.
Used the 870 with 1 oz winchester foster slugs 1700 fps. 50-55 yards. Tracked through CRP 25 yards. 1/4 mile drag.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

My buddy for the weekend

[/IMG]

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Jerry you've done better than I have LOL I shot an 8 point and lost him and have seen nothing but Doe's since.
I really hunted hard this morning and saw nothing !!! I admire you useing your Wingmaster 870 so I'm willing my Wingmaster to you :bigeyes: If I croak before you do my son will PM you for information on where to send it LMAO.
It has a 30" smooth barrel Full chock.
When I shoot the SOB LOL it cold cocks me in my right cheek (facecheek).
It functions perfectly, it is so smooth and is in very excellent condition.
But it hurts me...when i shoot it !!!...A.H

P.S. I would just go on and send it to you but my wife and kid would prolly think I was weird if I did so I suppose when I die you'll get it then...A.H

EDIT: LMAO

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.
AH you crack me up Sir. Might want to give your son first crack at the 870. I got this one for Christmas 27 years ago. It's not going anywhere soon. Try a limb saver recoil pad AH. I highly recommend it. They really work!

Not to worry Rem742, I'll replace that one slug ;)

Nice deer again BTW Lefty. Seen your PICS.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Jerry I was serious and my son will end up with more guns and tools than he'll know what to do with.
I don't know if you noticed but I added some more to the first post LOL...A.H

·
Registered
396 Posts
Well thanks for the slug. I just wish i didn't have to use the wingmaster for my deer gun but that is the way it goes i guess

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You aint goi'n no where AH. Not till you comne up for a duck hunt anyways.

I don't mind so much using the 870 Rem742. I just wish I wasn't forced to. If I had it my way, I'd get about 3 tags or so, get one with the 870, one with the .50 TC Hawken and one with the .308.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah I just would like to be able to bust out the 742 and walk a little to my treestand rather than having to drive 3 hours to use it.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd never guessed you had a 742:smoker:
What caliber? j/k:approve:
I should not have included the muzzle loader 'cause I can use it. Mabe next year I'll get two tags & do that. Can also use pistol, straight wall, .30 or better 500 fp at the muzzle, non semi.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Pistol laws are a little more relaxed here in Wisconsin only have to be .22 centerfire and 5 1/2 inch barrel if i remember right and i could have a different deer rifle you don't know that.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool. IL rules allow me to use my .357 MAG, (with propper ammo) but it would be bow range directly in the breadbasket for sure.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
HEY I just looked and I've got a Remton 742 30-06 in good condition, I'll send it too !!!
You need some Ammo ? LOL

Seriously I'm thinking about buying a rifled shotgun barrel for my Mossberg 930 Super Shot Gun.
It really is a nice shotgun but when I pull the trigger it makes a KaLank KaLank
KaLank then it goes KA_POW .
I've torn it all apart to see if it was made in Russia be it ain't.

Maybe it'll quit do'in that when it broke in some day...A.H

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Congrat's Jerry. That's meat on the table. Nobody's checking it's DNS for sex. Venison is all tasty. Glad you'll be able to eat meat this winter.

For me, I scored a big fat zero this season. My goal this season was to take digital pics of any deer I saw during the fist day of this season, and that was accomplished when I finally got a nice pic of a buck about 30 yards away as it stared broadside and directly at me. All told that day I saw 10 deer. A couple were four point bucks but they're not legal where I hunted.

Next day I saw only one deer and good shot shot wasn't possible to take. Then yesterday I returned to NW MO and saw one four point buck at 6:50 a.m. Again, it wasn't a legal deer to take. That ended my deer sighting.

At least my SIL got a 10 point, 151 lb field dressed, buck on opening day, which was one tough job for us to drag out of the timber and woods to the nearest trail where we could load it in a pickup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Jerry
If I didn't know better I'd of said you were taking pictures of my hunting area here in Christian County (Taylorville, Kincaid, Il). That's the exact same blind I use and the area looks the same too. Wooded hill side, probably near a small creek about 15-20 feet wide, lots of brush and maybe a cultivated field within 50 yards?
I got my little 7 pointer in an open field right at closing time Friday morning. Approx 150 yards away (lots of luck with that shot).
Mark
[/IMG]

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Ox, nice to hear from ya. sounds like ya had a good time none the less

Two, I thought about wacking that squirell. Slug would have been a bit over kill, LOL

Spanky/Mark, I hunt in Schuyler Co. You look familiar, you on the IL Refuge forums?

Best to all.........

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hey A.H. does your 742 have the square forestock or the round stock. Mine has the square forestock and I seem to like it better than any rifle I have ever felt.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Good shooting Jerry! That's about the size of the buck I got across the river in Mo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts