Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JM Caswell gun that I am looking to know more information about. the gun is 52" overall length and the barrel is measured at 3ft long. There are only a few markings on this gun which include ( JM Caswell ) (Lansingburgh) To my brief knowledge this is a New York gun. I would like to know how to preserve this gun... How to store it and possible oils to prevent rust that will not affect the value or the condition of the firearm. If anyone has knowledge of JM Caswell firearms and the history, I am very interested in this firearm .

Attachments

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
this is from one of the most prolific gun makers during the 1830's and 1840's.
he was in business long enough to make the change over to muskets [percussion rifles] in the 1850's.
he had about 25 employee's at one point and would put out up to 35 rifles a week.

almost any steel before 1840 was just iron and carbon with no other additives.

to keep it in good shape I would just use any good quality gun oil that is safe for the stock.
I wouldn't use anything synthetic, and I wouldn't goop it on either just a slight film wiped on with a patch, and also a patch down the barrel about once a year.

I live in a fairly dry climate so anyplace with a higher humidity level will of course need more maintenance.

many museums use a type of wax on their products [probably a mix of bees-wax and carnuba] and that would be worth investigating.

Reactions: rando

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you for the brief history of this gun. so you believe that this gun was produced between the 1830s and 1840s ? do you know of any other forums that would help me with preserving this gun ? I was just handed down this gun from my family and i want to make sure I do the right thing in preserving this piece of history. What would be the main use for this gun during that time period?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts