Johnson 1941

Discussion in 'General Military' started by roverboy, Aug 23, 2010.

1. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

I thought I'd post my Johnson 1941. Most people have never seen one of these. They made about 20,000 of them in the early '40's.

Attached Files:

2. CopperniX

CopperniX G&G Hall Monitor Staff Member

Ive heard about these awhile back they had a show about odd weapons of WW2 and i think this one came up and it was stated that although not used as much as the M1 garand it was used in small numbers by what became Special forces units in the mountains around northern Italy

3. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Oh man i love it roverboy!! WHO WHAT WHERE $$ ??
    frenchy

4. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

About 30,000 Johnson rifles were produced at the start of Wold War 2 - but not for the U.S. forces! They were originally produced for the Netherlands Armed Forces. Curiously, they were ordered in the American .30-06 caliber instead of the usual Dutch 7.92mm. With the Germans occupying the Netherlands and the Netherlands East Indies being occupied by the Japanese, they wound up warehoused. The Marines - especially the ParaMarines - needed semiautomatic and automatic weapons for their Pacific operations. They bought these weapons from the Dutch and the weapons reportedly were acceptable in combat. However, the arsenals and gun factories were now up to speed, so the Garand and the BAR were now easy to obtain - and parts more easy to obtain. The Marines retired the weapons to the warehouses.
    [​IMG]

Winfield Arms Corp. sold a lot of these back in the 1950's. As a hunting rifle, they were lighter than the M1 Garand, at least...

[​IMG]

The 1941 Johnson light machinegun - about 3,000of them built for the Netherlands - was a replacement for the Browning Automatic Rifle. They turned out to be a trifle too delicate -- but at least they had a quick-change barrel that was way better than anything the BAR had...

[​IMG]
    Production continued postwar. This is a Model 1948 Johnson for the Chilean Army mounted troops in 7mm Mauser. Only a thousand were bought, reportedly... The barrels were made in Mexico.

[​IMG]
    This was a prototype of a semiautomatic Johnson carbine built up from the "Johnny Gun" light machinegun. Turned out a bit too heavy and bulky for adoption, as it still used the .30-06.

One side note: The First Special Service Force - the joint US/Canadian group known as "The Devil's Brigade" - obtained 125 Johnson Light Machineguns from the Marines. This gave them the firepower of a BAR with the light weight of a Garand - perfect for mountain fighting. These guns were with the 1st SSF throughout its combats and were well-loved.

But, the bad news is, Frenchy: About $3,000 for a good to very-good grade shooter. The good news is: there's still a lot of them in closets and attics all over the country belonging to folks who don't know how valuable they are...

5. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

I've wanted one of those in my collection for a long time! It seems that every time one has been attainable the source of funds was too shallow...

6. TRUE GRIT

TRUE GRIT G&G Regular

I have run across a few over the years and they were always priced above my pay grade. I would like to have one someday. The last one I saw was at a Gunshow in So-Cal and the fellow wanted $3,200 for it. He was nice enough to let me fondle it after he saw my eyes light up when I noticed it.

7. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

I could have bought racks full of these in the late 60's for $50.00 a piece and now they are like $4000.00 a piece if I had only known.

8. Grumpus

Grumpus Curmudgeon Emeritus NRA Life Member

Boomer, about 12 miles south of Redwood Falls, back in the early 60's, there used to be a "farm store" right at a split between Hwy 71 and a county road. There used to be a big wood pickle barrel in there full of Mosin-Nagants, Lebels, Berthiers, Carcanos, Enfields and even M1917s and 1903s. All for about $15 each.

Can you imagine the numbers of times I have mentally kicked my ***?

9. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

Glad you like it. I bought it off an individual, not a shop or gunshow. I got a good deal. Not a great deal ,but good. Its the only one I've ever seen. A friend that has collected Mil-Surps for 25 years or more has been to 3 times as many gunshows as me and has never seen one. I need to look and see if I can find the year it was made. It shoots good and functions good. I've shot M2 loads in it so far. I've not tried my Garand loads yet. I load either a M2 150 gr. fmj or Hornady 150 gr. Spire Point with 47 gr. IMR4895 with CCI200.

10. frenchy

frenchy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Well at $3000 I doubt I'll ever have one but sure glad ta see them go to your TLC guys. And thanks for educating me, never seen one before!
    frenchy

11. Paid $25 for a M1 Garand in 1951. Sold it for $50 in 1953 and paid $67.50 for my 1941 Johnson which I still have

DANA

12. big boomer

big boomer G&G Enthusiast

don't even ask about my JP saur and sons 32 acp in 99% condition with the Nazi marks and matching holster and spare clip that I traded for a 4 track tape player. I feel so dumb.

13. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

That would be an epic acquisition for anyone's collection! Congrats on that one, she's a beauty. I have only ever seen ONE for sale at a gun show, in semi-auto configuration. Beautiful rifle, no doubt.

14. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

They are awesome and I'd love to have one. Maybe one day, if I win the lottery.

15. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

$67.50. WOW! I'm glad you hung on to it.