JP SAUER & SOHNS UHL

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Kaye adams, Aug 3, 2020.

1. Kaye adams

Kaye adams G&G Enthusiast

Hi good morning to all. I am posting a few pic of this most ornate gun I think it is called an over under shot gun it has carvings and is very beautiful. Seems to feel really good in ones hand..do any one know anything about it..thank you kaye

Attached Files:

jerry, ChaZam, rando and 1 other person like this.
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Kaye adams: Ma’am; continued

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/about-the-makers/german-gunmaking-centers/archive-suhl/

For many centuries the iron from Suhl was shipped to other cities but in the first half of the 16th century blacksmiths began settling there and began forging gun barrels. In the middle of the 16th century individual trades began setting up guilds to regulate workers and inspect the products. Some of the various guilds formed were Gunsmiths, Spur Makers, and Winch Makers -1563, Barrel Makers- 1579 and Stock Makers- 1564. These early guilds were very influential in establishing a working standard by restricting membership to those who showed proficiency in their craft. Members of the Sauer family moved fromNuremberg to Suhland in 1751 along with members of the Spangenberg family founded the firm that later became J.P. Sauer & Sohn.In the 16th century the Funk family in Suhl became involved in gun making. Johann Valentin Funk (April 4, 1778- Feb. 2, 1850) was listed as a gunlock maker in 1809 and by 1835 the firm of Christoph Funk was established. Carl Gottleib Haenel (1804-1857) founded the firm that bore his name around 1840. Immanuel Meffert founded the Meffert Co. in 1839 and the firm of Sempert & Krieghoff was founded in 1886. T

cjleete and ChaZam like this.

3. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Kaye can you give up a model number on that fine shotgun. My book lists a Model 66 O/U field, skeet, and trap models produced from 1966-75. Believe I can spot the word Essen on the gun as well as J P Sauer.

ChaZam likes this.
  4. Kaye adams

5. Kaye adams

Yes I will post it later thanks

neophyte and ChaZam like this.
  6. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Fine looking firearm Kaye...

neophyte and Kaye adams like this.
  7. Kaye adams

8. Kaye adams

Hi I finally have it 2258xx on the sauer& sohn the other on that is similar I could not find a number but it is marked nitro on barrell and flussthl krupssl it also has 2 triggers.

Attached Files:

9. Kaye adams

Oops here is ths last one.

10. Kaye adams

Hi I finally have it 2258xx on the sauer& sohn the other on that is similar I could not find a number but it is marked nitro on barrell and flussthl krupssl it also has 2 triggers.

11. Kaye adams

One more

Attached Files:

12. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Kaye are these gun both side-by-side double barrel or is one an O/U? Sauer made a side by side called the Model 60 and an O/U called the model 66. Too bad no Model numbers can be seen. Might be marked elsewhere on guns. Guns looked highly engraved and are probably valuable. One Model 60 was called Artemis with Grade 2 extensive engraving is highly valued. Believe flussthl stands for fluid steel. My guess is one looks like a Royal Double Barrel Model 60 with scalloped engraved frame with a Krupp Steel barrel made from 1955-1977. Hope this helps.

13. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

Ok your last pics came up. One does look to be the Model 66. Made in field, skeet, and trap models with different grades of engraving. Made 1966-1975. Finally hope we're getting somewhere.

14. Kaye adams

Oath over under 2 barrells

15. Kaye adams

2 barrels on boath 2 tigers..over under.barrels..

mauser9 likes this.
  16. mauser9

mauser9 G&G Evangelist

OK. My Bluebook is a few years old but these guns worth considerable money these days. Look highly ornate. I would get a professional appraisal on both before selling if that is what you want to do.

Kaye adams and neophyte like this.
  17. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

most definitely get an official appraisal.
    one for insurance purposes.
    and two so you have a fair idea of what they are really worth.
    those numbers will be different and the actual what you'll get for them is also going to be some different.

the thing is you don't want to be selling them for 1500 dollars when 10-K is a reality and 15-K is their book value.

many a buyer seller has a story of that gun in the case they gave 500 bucks for in an after estate type sale.

mauser9, Kaye adams and neophyte like this.
  18. Kaye adams

Thankyou for your honesty William told me before he got killed in that wreck "if anything happens to me dont give my guns away they are very good and worth a lot.." I told him I wouldnt but I think he knew I would need to sell some of them. I dont really know who could appraisal them but I'll I'll look for someone. Thankyou Kaye

cjleete likes this.
  19. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Kaye, that's why I suggested a professional auction company that has expertise with firearms specifically or other collectibles. They have the staffing that can research and ascertain what is original, what is a good reproductions, etc. They also will be able to take and post many dozens of high resolution photos documenting the stuff that serious collectors are going to want to see before bidding. Then a few months down the road they'll offer all of that in a competitive bid auction that clearly spells out to the bidders the terms of the sale, acceptable forms of payment, what can be transferred or shipped directly to a purchaser, and what would by law need to be transferred to the buyer/bidder via a FFL in their area. It will all be marketed in various formats and publications both printed and online that will attract the broadest number of interested buyers/bidders.

^^ But all of that comes at a price too, and a reputable company will explain those costs as well as buyer premiums so that it should be pretty clear to you. Any other type transaction that you enter into with a local firearms dealer even is going to have costs associated with it also, since the way they make a living and stay in business is "buying at wholesale and selling above that price". In a one on one face to face transaction if you knew the value of a piece, a buyer is still likely to try to weedle the price down since they know you don't have a brick and mortar store, or that you aren't incurring auction fees, appraisals, or commissions.

But none of that can be accomplished by a few pictures on a forum, especially out of focus pictures, or low resolution screen shots. Also it would be extremely unlikely that you could safely offer them on places such as gunbroker.com since you don't know the history or value of this stuff yourself. If you did sell on a site such as gunbroker, then you are tasked with properly packaging and shipping them yourself. You would also be tasked with trying to ascertain what can legally be shipped to people and what would by law need to be shipped to a licensed FFL holder in the buyers area. And then you would also be the one who had to deal with freight claims if they arrived damaged, or you might be dealing with a buyer who refused it and wanted a refund by claiming that it wasn't as advertised.

So if you have numerous pieces of your late husband's collection that you are going to be offering I would suggest reaching out to a source such as this: (there might be a similar entity in your neighborhood)
    https://www.rockislandauction.com/

goat roper and mauser9 like this.
  20. Kaye adams

Thank you..I really dont want to go that route. I am hoping I'll run into a collector. That will give me a decent amount. I'm not in a hurry but . I guess you know what I mean. Finding out about them for now is important to me. Thank you.