JPFO: Gun Owners Should Expect the Worst From a Lame Duck Congress

Discussion in 'Political/Religious Topics' started by Cyrano, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I've been warning people about this for at least a year now, ever since I've started hearing talk that "what's going to happen in the 2010 midterm elections is that the Democrats will lose control of at least one, and maybe both, chambers in the Congress." People, including a whole lot of smart people who should know better, seem to believe that all we need to do is vote the Democrats out of the House and the Senate, vote the Republicans in, and Obama's program will come to a screeching halt.

That's not the way it works in America, people!

The problem is that there's a couple of months between the election and the seating of the new Congress. During those two months, it does not matter if control of one or both chambers passed at the ballot box from one party to the other; whichever party was in control of the chamber retains it until the New Year and the first meeting of the new Congress. What does this mean?

It means that in the case of a polarized Congress such as the one we have now, the lame ducks have nothing to lose. They can vote for bills that would have been political suicide to support before, because they're dead men and women walking anyway.

The custom has been that nothing controversial is voted on between the general election and the end of the session. However, custom is not law. Representatives and Senators are free to introduce any bill they wish - including bills their party's ideology demands or that its leader demands.

Anyone here remember November and December 2006, when the Democrats got control of both houses of Congress back and a known, rabid anti-gunner named Nancy Pelosi was named Speaker of the House? I remember going into one of the local gun shops to buy a couple of boxes of .22 ammo to go plinking with the day after the election, and finding the gun shop packed with at least two dozen people. They weren't there to window-shop or ask advice; they had wads of money, checkbooks and credit cards out. They were buying as many guns and as much ammunition as they could afford. When I asked a few of them why they were buying now, the answer was, "With that mad bitch Pelosi running the House, I'm getting mine while I still can!" The rush slowed down to something more manageable over the next ten days or so, but sales were still at least double what they had been the same time a year before. Gun shop owners here, in one of the most anti-gun states in the Union, said they sold as much in those two months as they normally sold in half a year; nor did things get back to normal much before April of 2007.

Anyone remember what it was like starting in October of 2008, when it looked like the Obamination had a real chance of winning the election, which would give the Democrats total control over the legislative and executive branches? Gun shop owners couldn't lay hands on enough AR-15s, AK-47s and military rifles in 7.62 NATO to keep them in stock. Prices skyrocketed to nearly double what they had been in September and didn't drop back down for more than a year; and that didn't slow the demand. Ammo in standard military calibers like 5.56 NATO, 7.62x39 ComBloc, 7.62 NATO, 9mm Luger and .45 ACP sold out the day shipments came in, all over the country. Again, people were getting while they still could, convinced Obama and the Democrats were about to try and push through Slick Willy Gun Ban II, only this time with no sunset clause in it.

It's only in the last couple of months that I have seen gun prices dropping back to within 10% of what they were before the Obamination bamboozled the nation into voting for him. So far, in the 19 months the clown has been in office, no major gun bill has made it to a vote in committee, much less onto the floor for debate, in either chamber even though the Democrats control both the House and the Senate.

Obama and his lackeys in Congress have had almost two years to fix the damage they claim was done by eight years of Curious George Bush and his evil Republican empire. A substantial majority of Americans feel the country is worse off now under Obama than it was under Bush. Further, they think the country is headed in the wrong direction. They are in a mood to "punish" the Democrats. If the Democrats get the ***-kicking some political pundits are predicting, all bets are off when it comes to controversial anti-gun bills. As I said, the kamikaze factor will kick in among the lame ducks; and even among reelected Democrats, who will gamble the People won't remember how they voted during a lame duck session of Congress.

Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership is not a large pro-gun group. They don't have the cachet of the NRA, nor the respect in the press given to the Second Amendment Foundation for their work supporting pro-gun law and cases in the courts. However, they have a record for calling the shots correctly. And that is why you need to read the article linked below. If site rules allowed, I'd post the article itself. But read it, think about it, and then figure out what you may need to do if the scenario JPFO comes to pass.

Lame Ducks and Guns

2. DWFan

DWFan Handgunner Forum Contributor

You're right. They were talking about this on the news today. Cap & Trade, another Stimulus, the "Internet Control " act and possibly even an amnesty-based "immigration reform" act are also possibilities during the lame duck session.

3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Exactly. So keep the pressure on your Representatives and Senators and let them know We the People will not be amused if they employ kamikaze tactics because they have nothing to lose if they are voted out. These swine will sell us all down the river if they get half a chance. It's up to us to make sure they don't get one.

4. Hammer them with the Constitution. Hammer in the nails; the Bill of Rights. Expose them as a progressive globalist usurper. People have had it with this evil crew of Czars, we will repeal, because we are tired of the appeal. Vote them out, Sue them out of office.

5. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

Democrats have always,and will always have an anti-gun agenda behind their back lika a dagger to stab us with.
    We must never forget that,especially when they have nothing to loose like a lame duck,vote Republican for our gun rights,if nothing else.
    I don't ever want a Democrat in Florida,they have always tried to screw us down here, at least the Republican gave us some good laws,even if one tried to shove a services tax down our throats,he was promply out of office,no probvlems since.

6. Cyrano, IMHO, this will not happen for two reason....First, the many of the remaining Demcos know that there is another election in a short 26 months and there will be 100% cohesion among the Repubcos...