Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you girls and boys that have put a gazilion rounds through your AR firearms ever seen this kind of a jam or malfunction. I haven't but here's Jerry Miculek showing us how to clear it.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
I thought I had a big supply of boolets! Don't hold a candle to this guy.

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
Never seen a jam like that. If that happened to me, I really wouldn't have known what to do - probably would have made the situation worse. I love when I can learn something about managing irregular situations. Thanks for posting the video!

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
That was a new one on me, too!

Good to NOW know what to do if it ever happens.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
I dont own an ar platform rifle but that was good info to know.
You never know when an ANTIPANTY type might "donate" his to you in the heat of battle. ;):usa2:

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Thank you ChaZam! Jerry always has a learning point..never seen this type of stoppage...good to know.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
19,760 Posts
Never seen a jam like that. If that happened to me, I really wouldn't have known what to do - probably would have made the situation worse. I love when I can learn something about managing irregular situations. Thanks for posting the video!
That was a new one on me, too!

Good to NOW know what to do if it ever happens.
That's the thing. I might've pulled the castle nut and buffer tube in frustration without thinking through the puzzle.

·
Super Moderator
16,740 Posts
The actual name for this type of malfunction is called either a "brass over bolt" malfunction or a "bolt override" malfunction.

Outside of purposely inducing one in a training environment Ive only seen it happen to other people probably twice over the years. Don't know what caused the first one and the second one was with a Bushmaster carbine that had a whole slew of problems with it with lots of worn out parts and a really old vintage era magazine.

Its usually caused by a really worn out magazine where two rounds pop out and try to feed instead of just one.

There are a couple ways of clearing it. And what Jerry didn't go into in the video is that... depending on how the the bolt is stuck in relation to the round on top of it can sort of dictate how to clear it.

METHOD 1

If the round is completely up in the charging handle groove so its completely parallel to the bolt...

Steps should be,
weapon on safe if possible,
remove mag.
and clear out the second round if possible similar to a double feed.

If the one problem round (the one riding over the bolt) is completely up in the charging handle groove and is completely parallel to the bolt...

Pull the charging handle all the way to the rear with your right hand and try to engage the bolt catch with your left hand and hold it depressed.

With the right hand Use a knife hand / chop motion (palm down) running down the length of the stock to slam the charging handle forward with force. This should knock the stuck round out.

If you cannot engage the bolt catch with your left hand (maybe because you cant get the charging handle back far enough) Then switch hands and use the right hand to physically hold the bolt to the rear with a piece of brass like what Jerry did or stick a finger in there and push and hold it to the rear. Unlike what happened in Jerry''s video the round at this point may or may not just fall out like that though. It looks like Jerry was using a pristine clean rifle lol. In reality when its hot and dirty and all that, the round might not come out as easy like that.

If it doesnt, while holding the bolt to the rear with the right hand, then pull the charging handle rearward with the left hand and do the chop. This motion will probably involve you bracing the butt stock back into your chest while you do this as you pull the bolt to the rear with your right hand if that makes sense.

-----------------------------
METHOD 2

You may need this if you get this malfunction and the cartridge is NOT parallel to the bolt and its half way sticking down at a downward angle towards the chamber (with only the rear of the stuck cartridge trapped up in the charging handle groove and the rest of it is angled downwards in front of it.

Do all of the above But you still may not have enough leverage to get it out using method 1. The charging handle will be completely frozen with no play in it.

If Method 1 doesn't work you can use the old military way of clearing it by "mortaring the gun" (which used to be taught as the do all way to clear the gun instead of method 1 as well.... until people got smarter and started doing method one which is a lot faster).

Steps should be
weapon on safe if possible,
remove the mag
try method 1 first or if you can already see its set up this way, then skip straight to this.
Remember this method is for when you have no play what so ever in trying to pull the charging handle rearward.

If you have a telescoping butt stock... MAKE SURE YOU COLLAPSE IT ALL THE WAY DOWN / IN or you may break your buffer tube doing this.

Take a knee... use one hand to grip the gun up by the handguard / front of the mag well. and use your other hand to rabbit ear grip the charging handle and start applying lots of downward force to try to pull it rearward. At the same time slam the rifle down onto the ground onto your buttstock with it being muzzle up while putting the downward pressure on the charging handle.

Hopefully you will only need to do this once and the impact will be enough to jar the round lose or bring it back to a method 1 condition where you can free up the bolt a bit and go back to method 1 protocol of holding the charging handle or bolt to the rear and slap chopping the rear of the charging handle forward to knock the stuck round out.

Reactions: ChaZam and TXplt
1 - 11 of 11 Posts