Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
I got another one for ya! Whenever the entire deer camp knows that you are the best marksman in the lodge always make sure to lock your scoped Sako '06 in the trunk of the car at night. That way one of the 'cabin gremlins' won't have an opportunity to turn your scope knobs off target so that you miss the one great buck you finally get a shot at by a good 6 feet! ;)

(It was OK, though. When we got back home the 'cabin gremlin' I most suspected of having pulled that stunt went out of his way to send me a sale on which I made an $8,000.00 dollar commission! Which, of course, means that the buck I missed was worth about $40 or $50 dollars a pound!) :LOL:

Registered
iron sights can be a godsend too.
nobody puts them on a rifle anymore though.
Actually, I have a Mark V Deluxe Weatherby with external sights. They add them on at the Custom Shop. I have 5 basic deer guns, a Rem 243, a Ruger RSI 308, a Win 70 in 30-06, the Weatherby Mark V Deluxe and a Vanguard in 257 Wby. Only the Vanguard does not have external sights. I also have bolt guns in 223 and 7.62 x 39 and all of my levers have fixed sights as well.

Premium Member
And a knife.
A few years ago I was invited on day hunt on some private land in Palo Pinto County with 2 other men and one of the men's wife.
Lo and behold by about 8:30 am we had five deer on the ground inside of a 800 acre fenced pasture.
I Had A Knife...

Registered
all my rifles have iron sights. even the scoped ones.
I never could understand how someone would go into the woods for any reason much less to hunt without a knife! (and something to start a fire with) I don't go ANYWHERE without at least a pocket knife. I feel naked without one.

Super Moderator
I got another one for ya! Whenever the entire deer camp knows that you are the best marksman in the lodge always make sure to lock your scoped Sako '06 in the trunk of the car at night. That way one of the 'cabin gremlins' won't have an opportunity to turn your scope knobs off target so that you miss the one great buck you finally get a shot at by a good 6 feet! ;)

(It was OK, though. When we got back home the 'cabin gremlin' I most suspected of having pulled that stunt went out of his way to send me a sale on which I made an $8,000.00 dollar commission! Which, of course, means that the buck I missed was worth about $40 or $50 dollars a pound!) :LOL:
Sounds a bit like Ghost in the Darkness. Good way to wake up opening morning...strapped to your bed!

Premium Member
And a knife.
A few years ago I was invited on day hunt on some private land in Palo Pinto County with 2 other men and one of the men's wife.
Lo and behold by about 8:30 am we had five deer on the ground inside of a 800 acre fenced pasture.
I Had A Knife...
Had a buddy never carried a knife. I always have two. He asked to borrow one and I asked him where his knife was. He said in his truck. I told him he better go get his truck knife.
That, and a drag strap! You can tell who come prepared. 馃槑
Clothing Outerwear Yam Vertebrate Snow

Premium Member
I always take two rifles when traveling out of state.
Tom my son is heading from TN. to a non guided hunt out west in a few weeks. He goes to several states every year for mule deer, and whitetail. You are in the middle of nowhere living in a Kodiak tent. He always brings two rifles because of far away. Same with the bows.

Registered
I have had a scope crap out on me once and it was my only rifle I had with me at the time. Had to cut my hunt short and drive couple hundred miles round trip to get another rifle. I took two with me when I went back. I have always taken two ever since.

Registered
all my rifles have iron sights. even the scoped ones.
I never could understand how someone would go into the woods for any reason much less to hunt without a knife! (and something to start a fire with) I don't go ANYWHERE without at least a pocket knife. I feel naked without one.
I don't leave the house these days without 3 knives and a multitool on me. If not headed for work I also carry a pistol. I bring guns and knives to a gunfight. :)

Registered
iron sights can be a godsend too.
nobody puts them on a rifle anymore though.
I couldn't agree more with you, R5R. I have yet to break a scope while hunting, but I have certainly been in enough epic downpours that rendered the scope practically useless. That's why I prefer hunting with a rifle that has iron sights, and then fit the scope with Alaskan Arms quick detach rings for when the scope gets overwhelmed. Not trying to do a commercial here, but those AA detachables are awesome.

Registered

Anyone ever did that to one of our guns and that "gremlin" would be out of our group pronto. Never touch another man's gun without permission, and you absolutely don't do anything to purposefully diminish another man's gun or hunting experience. Ever. Period. That's like sleeping with a man's wife, maybe worse...

Registered
Anyone ever did that to one of our guns and that "gremlin" would be out of our group pronto. Never touch another man's gun without permission, and you absolutely don't do anything to purposefully diminish another man's gun or hunting experience. Ever. Period. That's like sleeping with a man's wife, maybe worse...
Or messing with his bike or lunch

1 - 20 of 25 Posts