Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time poster here. Haven't been shooting since the mid-70's when I had a 700 BDL in 25.06, a Parker Hale Sporter in .270 and a Ruger 10/22 along with my Lee Loaders. I still have the Ruger which is in mint Condition.

I just bought a rifle advertised as a Remington 700 w. Bushnell scope in .243. As my screen name suggests, I am just a paper puncher and like the "lighter" calibers.

From the pics, it's a really clean 700 with a Bushnell Elite 10x fixed scope. I figured the scope is worth around $150 and great for my use. Everything pointed to MUST BUY as the 700 action, trigger and checkering were reminiscent of my old 700 plus the forearm of the stock has a profile like my old Parker Hale. The gun appears to be in near-mint condition with the exception of the underside of the stock which shows some bench rest rubs. I build guitars, so touchups like this are right up my alley.

Any idea what year and model this one might be? I'm not up with contemporary Remington Models other than the current offerings and the knowledge that 700's are still fine rifles. The recoil pad seems excessively thick ... I hope a tall guy owned it and I didn't just buy a girl's model lol! The seller was an out-of-state pawn shop who had little to offer beyond the description. It looks like a nice rife.

remington.jpg
remington1.jpg
remington 3.jpg
remington4.jpg

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
BEAUTIFUL!!!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,126 Posts
Presuming the bore is sound, that's a good rifle for paper punching or varminting. In many states you can also hunt deer with it, should you be so inclined. Go ahead and buy it.

·
Premium Member
5,216 Posts
Beautiful Rifle. Always wanted a 25-06. Never pulled the trigger on one !!

Reactions: jerry and rangerjd

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found a similar rifle in an old listing differing only by caliber (300 WinMag):

For Sale: Remington 700 - 300 Win Mag W/ Fleur De Lis stock. Excellent, Used Condition. Rifle appears to have been fired very little. 24" barrel, 13.5" LOP, Custom Bolt Fluting. Trigger has been tuned to a crisp 2# by a professional gunsmith. Comes with TALLEY scope mounts (Scope Not Included). No code on left side of barrel...so I believe this rifle was manufactured between August 1999 - October 2001.

$625 + $40 shipped/insured Lower 48 (+ $20 AK/HI) [Scope Not Included]

3002 300 winmag.jpg

400winmad2.jpg
400winmad2.jpg

300winmag4.jpg

Interesting that "my" (soon) .243 also has the "magnum caliber" stock reinforcements like the .300 WinMag. Also, the stock on the one above almost looks like Birch rather than Walnut though the blueing looks identical to the one I just bought.

Also found the following on another board dating back to 2012 re: an inquiry about a new Rem 700 w. a Fleur w. de Lis stock someone saw in a store. Price is 2102 dollars of course.

"I believe it is a 700 Sportsman. Remington did a special run (or two, or three) during 2011 and 2012. Most of the big box dealers were able to get these runs. I've seen them in Sportsmans Warehouse, Dicks, and Bass Pro. At Sportsmans Warehouse here in Utah, they are available in magnum, long and short action calibers for about $460.00-$499.00. They are available in blued and stainless. I think the ones I've seen come with a polished bolt (rather than the jeweled bolt of the BDL/CDL)."

As mine also had no date markings, it is likely the same as the earlier one pictured. I'll need to check the SN with Remington to determine whether or not it falls outside of dates requiring the trigger modification as I doubt it was updated. I am assuming they will be able o date it from the SN.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Does look like a nice 700. Is it an ADL or BDL? The stock looks to have a flared fore-end and lacks the pistol grip cap found on the BDL models. I have a 84 made 700 ADL with cut checkering and walnut with the high polish finish on bluing. Notice yours has a different finish on the metal. I read Remington made changes to the ADL line around 83-84. Hope you enjoy yours.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Does look like a nice 700. Is it an ADL or BDL? The stock looks to have a flared fore-end and lacks the pistol grip cap found on the BDL models. I have a 84 made 700 ADL with cut checkering and walnut with the high polish finish on bluing. Notice yours has a different finish on the metal. I read Remington made changes to the ADL line around 83-84. Hope you enjoy yours.
I am assuming it is an ADL as it has a blind magazine. The fore-end is more in line with what would call "an antique rifle" and is slightly flared out at the bottom but not fluted like the old Parker Hales. As soon as I get it, I'll post more pics. My plan is to drop fill the dings and refinish the bottom side into the grip area. I did contact Remington online re: the recall and they advised this rifle is subject to the recall. They are sending a Box and prepaid shipping label for the rework. That said, I will probably just install a Timney trigger and side-step the whole return rework process as I have read a number posts about miss-fires occurring despite the fix. I anticipated this would be the case when I bought it and was reflected in the price.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
Looks like Remington went back to the jeweled bolt on yours. My 84 ADL purchased new in that year has a polished smooth bolt. Bought it over an older ADL they had because the newer version on mine had sling swivel studs attached and I liked the satin finish on the stock. Only ran me around $335 back then. Never changed out the trigger but then again never had a problem. Timney not a bad idea.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks all!

I am patiently waiting for delivery to my local FFL. He lives 10 minutes away and only charges $30 for a transfer. Stumbled across him on the GunBroker.com website and he turned out to be a really nice guy.

M9, I was amazed at how these rifles seem to sell for more used than they did new, even considering inflation. I guess if I compare them relative to the retail on a similar new wood-stocked model, the prices on the new ones are 3x-4x what they were when I last bought a rifle and the used prices just go up accordingly.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
very nice rifle. I used a 700 ADL 30-06 for most of my life and loved that gun. It did me well with many harvested deer, whitetails and mule deer. I just refinished the stock and floated the barrel and got about 1.7 moa which was fine for hunting.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts