Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the serial number and how many digits is it? How can I find out if the gun is legit without me getting into any trouble? Thank you

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
What do you mean "in the street?" Who did you buy it from?

·
Chief Troll B' Gone
4,625 Posts
You really shouldn't go around buying guns off the street

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i bought it off of a friend of a friend. first time ever. guy said he needed cash bad. please help. dont want any trouble

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
How much did you pay for it? The cops can run the serial numbers for you.

·
Firearm Affectionado
4,232 Posts
Not a good thing to do! What if the gun was used to commit a crime? Or was stolen?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Call your local police station and tell them what you told us and ask them to run the numbers. DO NOT GIVE, SHOW, OR LEAVE THE GUN WITH THE POLICE, JUST READ THE NUMBERS OFF OVER THE PHONE.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
If al original they will be on the bolt,receiver.magazine bottom and trigger guard. Should have at least 7 numbers.
Did you get a receipt? If not try to get one.Getting the cops involved is like suicide,officially they want all guns.:drive: P/S on some it may also be on stock near butt.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The receiver (blackish metal near the bolt) should have some numbers..

If you see a lot of scuff marks in that area, it's a good sign that the serial numbers were scratched off, which means it was probably stolen at one point...

·
Premium Member
30,729 Posts
sounds ideal if you are a criminal. otherwise cheap guns from strangers? no thanks

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
A lot of the later SKS were parts guns/rebuilt.
In that case all the numbers were ground off leaving only the number on the receiver,as the receiver is the gun and the rest are parts.:drive:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sounds ideal if you are a criminal. otherwise cheap guns from strangers? no thanks

Wow! That's just ridiculous to think I'm a criminal for buying a gun from an individual. I've purchased guns at the gun shows from individuals before and I know others that do the same. Does that mean they are criminals as well?

·
Premium Member
30,729 Posts
Wow! That's just ridiculous to think I'm a criminal for buying a gun from an individual. I've purchased guns at the gun shows from individuals before and I know others that do the same. Does that mean they are criminals as well?
i wasnt calling you a criminal! if you were one it would be ideal. please dont think i was calling you anything bad! you dont know this guy correct? a friend of a friend right? at a gunshow at least in colo. there is a background check. sorry if i accidentally offended you.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Call your local police station and tell them what you told us and ask them to run the numbers. DO NOT GIVE, SHOW, OR LEAVE THE GUN WITH THE POLICE, JUST READ THE NUMBERS OFF OVER THE PHONE.

for one the cops already have your number if you call them .lol two if it comes up stolen they will be at your door in a few minutes..

the best thing to do when buying a gun from someone is to get a bill of sale with atleast two witnesses and have eveyone sign it.and makesure that the numbers on the gun are not tamperd with in anykinda way whatso ever.that way if the gun does come back stolen you might and might not be out of your cash depending on if the guy who sold you the gun knew it was stolen and if not at the worst you just loose the money and gun but you don't get a record for buying a stolen gun . there is nuthing bad about buying guns off the streets if you go about it the right way people on crack will sell everything they have including thier guns to get thier fix and hey you can get some really good deals just cover your "6"

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree to an extent. Before buying, one should get the serial number and call the local police/sheriffs office to run the number. If the seller is legit and is on the up and up he would understand and hold the gun for you to call in a check. It would only take a couple of minutes.

Buying one before hand could be risky. Your friends friend may be alright but maybe if he bought it from a friend of a friend, well he may not know the full picture.

Never buy one off the street. It is risky and can come back to bite you.

One last thing. I work for the Sheriff's Department in my county as a Deputy Sheriff and the conception of the police wanting your firearms is TOTALLY WRONG. It is the POLITICIANS in Washington that wants them from law abiding citizens. I belong to NRA and strongly support the right to carry and bear arms as do my other brothers in arms. Just thought you may wish to know.

So know and vote wisely on your Congressional leaders to safeguard our GOD given rights. In Missouri we just past several key laws to protect just that, one being the right of protection using a firearm without having to retreat from an armed intruder; and in Aug. you know longer have to go to the sheriff's office to register and file for a hand gun permit. Local shops will do that.

Thanks and GOD bless us everyone!!!

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Many police chiefs ARE politicians,they also set rules those under them must follow or risk their jobs.
Notice I said many,not all.:drive:

·
Premium Member
30,729 Posts
i don't personally care where any of you buy a gun.
BUT i am not about to buy any firearm off a stranger without an exchange of information.
i want a receipt!
i am covering my own butt.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts