Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a .40 Glock from the gunshow today....

I've never owned anything other than a revolver... I'm sure I'll come up with plenty of questions....but now I'm just wondering, is it bad on the clip springs to keep it loaded all the time ?

·
Registered
17,237 Posts
Glock 22 is a redesigned Glock 17...
One notable feature of the Glock 22, and indeed many modern .40 S&W pistols, is the ability to change the caliber to .357 Sig with a simple barrel swap.This is possible due to the similar operating pressures of both rounds, and the fact that the .357 Sig is based on a .40 S&W case, necked down to accept .355 inch bullets.

Rich

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I probably would have never known that....thanks man !

so a pretty good buy then I guess ? I almost got a Taurus 357 revolver, bcause I always thought the revolvers were more dependable...with less moving parts and all....

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
mooseman is correct, you can leave that magazine loaded for 50yrs and it will still function perfectly. cycling a spring is what causes them to loose tension.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
mooseman is correct, you can leave that magazine loaded for 50yrs and it will still function perfectly. cycling a spring is what causes them to loose tension.
I'll have to disagree with ya a bit on that one Lefty, temperature cycling can affect a springs tensile strength quite a bit when under tension. The temps. usually have to be pretty extreme, but if the spring isn't tempered properely, or is of inadequate dia. for the application, it will lose tension if subjected to large temp. extremes, ie: if a loaded weapon is left in a car in extreme heat or cold. Good springs will not normally be affected much, but lower quality springs can lose a lot of tension. Vibration while under tension can also affect spring the spring memory.

·
Wonderment :)
34,720 Posts
FoggyNoose: congrats of your G22:veryhappy: Sir; read carefully 'toolmans' thoughts. Sir; cycling springs is what cause loss of tension.:shysmile: Sir; he is correct:veryhappy: Sir; that is bad:shysmile: Don't shoot
it:mad:
:joke:Hopefully you see my humor. Shoot the dang thing until you really start to enjoy it. Then you can shoot for
enjoyment:veryhappy:
Many years of good shooting is in store for you

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I probably would have never known that....thanks man !

so a pretty good buy then I guess ? I almost got a Taurus 357 revolver, bcause I always thought the revolvers were more dependable...with less moving parts and all....
don't mix up .357 sig and .357 magnum, they are different

·
Registered
100 Posts
If your Mag springs get a little weak,you can always find new ones at gun shows,and they are inexpensive! Good luck with your G22 ,I've been the proud owner of a G23 for 10+ years,and have fired somewhere around 5 to 6 thousand rounds through mine ,and never had a malfunction,IMO they are the finest Auto's ever made!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Nice Pistol - I like the OD green color. I have a G-27 in that color. I keep a G-22 by my bed. I have a light on the bottom rail - really nice to have both the light and pistol in one package. I have 5 Glocks - never had a problem with any of them. Great guns. BTW, I leave several of my mags loaded all the time. Been that way for years and no problems yet.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
If your Mag springs get a little weak,you can always find new ones at gun shows,and they are inexpensive! Good luck with your G22 ,I've been the proud owner of a G23 for 10+ years,and have fired somewhere around 5 to 6 thousand rounds through mine ,and never had a malfunction,IMO they are the finest Auto's ever made!
Damn strait, nomatter what anyone says they last the longest and are the most reliable(of autos).

·
Registered
234 Posts
Damn strait, nomatter what anyone says they last the longest and are the most reliable(of autos).
I'll have to disagree with you on that, if you check The Gun Zone, they have several articals on catastrofic failures mostly due to the lack of support of the case under the feed ramp. as for logevity there are 90 year old colt 1911's that still have all there original parts and function just like the day they were first issued. now I agree glocks are a fine weapon but they are not with out there quircks, but as for reliabilty and longevity the colt 1911 gets my vote, and hopefully one day a place in my gun safe.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You definitely can't go wrong with a glock. Well...I can, but that's because I can't stand holding them.

As for them being the most reliable weapons, they are definitely reliable, but there are so many other weapons that are coming out that are more than likely equally reliable, if not more than reliable. See the M&P, XD, SR9(Give this one a few years first), Sig250, or H&K P30.

·
Wonderment :)
34,720 Posts

FoggyNoose: Sir; we need a report:)
Have you had an oppertunity to feed that thing
yet:)
Sir; share some pictures and the range report when you can.:feedback:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts