Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i had the itch and scratched it i had been wanting a home defense gun something cheap on ammo amd a ammo that i could readilly get "shotgun" so i seen one for 250.00 and i got it actually the guy had made me the deal of the mossberg and the highpoint .40 carbine both for 500.00 but didn't want too spend all the money i wanted to get some ammo and a tee shirt for the wife.i'll post pictures as soon as i sneak it out the closet and take some.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Nice which mossberg is it. Some people swear by Mossbergs. I am not one but I think they are a solid gun. Very good for the price! Here is my new home defence shotty.

It has the original stock back on it now. The folder is no fun to shoot.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
here's some pictures of it . nice and black.i'm thinkin of a folding stock but really this is a home defense gun and probably will never get shot so the pistol,grip will probably be better .oh what about takin the plug out thats legal right???

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks i didn;t want to take out the plug and be shooting this thing with my son one day and the cops come and check us out and give me a hassle about the plug being out.i showed my son last night and he wants to go shoot it today. this is my new home defens guni am gonna scrap the pistol defense thing i think i am better off with this in my hands . i'm going back to the gun show today to see if i can get a ammo belt for it.i went to walmart but they didn't have any i did pickup a box of buckshot though.15 rounds for almost 10 bucks .

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I The pistol girp is fine if that is what you want. I went with the original stock on my 1300 because I plan to also take it shotgun deer hunting. At the same time I have shot mine with the folding stock up like a pistol grip and unfolded as a full stock. Neiter was fun to shot, I don't feel I can be accurate enough with just a pistol grip. Unlike some popular opinion you have to aim a shotgun. I also see no reason not to incorporate a shotgun and a pistol into home defence plans.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
That pistol grip is going to hurt you! :34: Try one of these Knoxx Industries COPstock Tech Support - I put one on my Win 1300 and it works great. It is a Recoil-Compensating stock. It has a spring in the grip that reduces the recoil. I can actually shoot the shotgun one handed with this installed. Of course I can't hit much that way, but it is possible to shoot it that way without breaking anything important - like your hand.

Oh, by the way, $250 for the high-point carbine seems kinda high to me.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
i haven't measured the barrel yet but i will later the wife is sleeping . but i want to get a pistol grip for the front pump or front for grip if thats what you want to call it.. i was looking at or wanting to look into them stock that sort of resemble a ar15 stock and it has slots for extra shells too. i am not going to do away with my pistols i am just meaning if someone gonna come into my house this was the first thing they would meet up with then they would here from the glock. and if they got away my ak collection would catch them or the m4 would. but this thing i really like. i want to put some sort of colapsable stock on it or a folder.i am not really worried about recoil because it's not gonna be a recreational shooter by me infact this in one gun that will probably never get shot but i have been thinkin about if someone was to come into my house at night all i have are rifles and pistols and they don't scatter and i really ain't gonna turn on the lights for a clear shot so a shot gun was a good choice.

that brings me to the next question #4 bird shot or buch shot is the #4 bird shot good for home defense? remeber my shots would be within 10'

That pistol grip is going to hurt you! :34: Try one of these Knoxx Industries COPstock Tech Support - I put one on my Win 1300 and it works great. It is a Recoil-Compensating stock. It has a spring in the grip that reduces the recoil. I can actually shoot the shotgun one handed with this installed. Of course I can't hit much that way, but it is possible to shoot it that way without breaking anything important - like your hand.
Oh, by the way, $250 for the high-point carbine seems kinda high to me.
on the carbine i was thinkin the same thing so thats why i passed on the deal it was the .40cal and i had the .9mm and it was a tac driver with no problems but i didn't want to spend the money on both guns . i went back today and picked up 500 rounds for my m4.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
My honest opinion is that you should put a stock on the thing, and not a folding one. Looks like you've got a nice barrel and a long mag tube. I guess I just think you should keep it simple for that application.

I have a Mossberg 500 and I keep it just the way I got it. No fancy stuff, just simple. I don't want to be fiddling with a folding stock or trying to reach the safety with a pistol grip in the way while some crack fiend is climbing through a window or kicking the front door in.

If you do decide to keep the pistol grip only set up, I think you should practice with it a whole bunch.

·
PUKHA DAWG
3,799 Posts
I also keep a shotgun handy just in case. It's a Mossberg 500 with an 18 1/2 inch barrel with factory wooden stock. No additions. If I'm going hunting/shooting, I just change the barrel. This way I "feel" comfortable with the gun at all times.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i measured the barrel and from the end of the reciever to the tip of the barrel is 20''. i like where the safty is it's right above the rear of the reciever and the model is a mossberg 500.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nothing illegal about taking the plug out. It's only there for hunting regs.
i put a ati advanced technology 12/20ga top folding stock on my mossberg 500a.
works fine. i carefully read how to own a gun and stay out of jail by john machtinger.
as i understand it, in california we have very strict laws on modifying weapons. if you modify it can become an assault weapon and must be re registered.
my understanding from pg 140 and 141 is that 3 elements must be present in shotgun modification to make it an assault weapon, must be semi automatic, must have foldilng stock must have hand grip. if you dont hit all 3 characteristic you are home free. dont have to re register the weapon. so the ati seems to work fine for california.
i also removed the plug but i dont hunt.
strictly for home defense.
stephen s
san diego ca

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i was reading another thread from one of you guys on your mossbergs and you raised a good question . can i shoot slugs in this barrel? or is it just good for bird shot and buck shot? and if so how devistaing would a slug be at close range? i used to load my shot gun like that when i used to hunt deer a long time ago buck shot in the chamber then a slug behind it then another buckshot .

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Tommy, I think the slug barrels are completely different unless you have one with a fixed choke (no tubes). I don't know If I'd want to light the fuse on a slug inside my home though, A human body isn't going to stop it and who knows where it's going to end up? You might want to take a look at the Hornady TAP ammo.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
tommy the barrel should be Improved Cylinder and shoot slugs with No problem at all.
If you havent taken out the plug unscrew the magazine cap and turn the muzzle down and shake the shotgun and a 3/16 dowel rod should fall out.
Thats all you do unless it's changed on a Mossberg...A.H

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i took the plug out already . i was just wondering about the slugs cause i was gonna pick me up a few boxs if they was ok to fire through this barrel.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts