Mossberg Just got a used moss 500 w/ pistol grip

Discussion in 'Mossberg' started by CrazyIvan, Oct 6, 2010.

1. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

Won an auction on GunBroker yesterday. They received my local FFL dealer's info, and I have paid them for the weapon. They are shipping it out today.

This will be my first shotgun.

It is used, and seems to have lost a lot of the finish. Any recommendations on refinishing it? I would prefer to do it myself.

Thanks

Here it is:

(CLICK for larger)

Attached Files:

2. CopperniX

CopperniX G&G Hall Monitor Staff Member

It looks like a nice firearm just dont pull a stupid and aim it real close to your face. also to make it look better id probably replace the wood pump.

3. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

I thought the wood kind of gave it character. But, I definitely thought a composite pump would look pretty cool too.

As far as the aim...hah, yea. I wouldn't put it anywhere near my face without a shoulder stock on it.

4. CopperniX

i shot a friends Moss 500 with a pistol grip just like that and one kid decided to aim it all nice and neat and caught it right in the mouth.

5. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Was the gun injured?

6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

2 tone shotgun? Trying to decide if I LIKE that look.

7. CopperniX

haha no samuel the gun wasnt injured but he got alittle bloody and everyone got a good laugh.

8. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

put a stock on it.

9. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    I would get a stock for it.

This might be a dumb question, is the receiver aluminum?

10. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

Stainless steel receiver housing, I believe.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  11. thoricuncle

thoricuncle G&G Newbie

Looks like it has been sawed off (marking says 28" barrel, but it sure looks shorter).

I would also agree to put a stock on it. Pistol grip with a 500 is a pain since the safety is located on the tang.

Has the receiver had the finish polished off? I don't think that is a problem, but you might have issues with rust as I believe it is a steel receiver.

As far as the barrel, replacements for the 500 are dirt cheap and would probably be cheaper than trying to refinish it.

Only other recommendation is to go shoot it. 500's are great guns and a lot of fun.

12. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO

Cool, that has got to simplify putting a finish on it if you so choose. There are some really neat, hard and durable, finishes out there now. I haven't checked box-o-truth lately, those guys might have some easy do-it-yourself options posted. Otherwise the standard blue or park jobs aren't incredibly difficult, just depends what you want it to look like.

Edit: Sorry no paragraph formatting, it is removing new line / carriage returns on me again.

Edit2: see, now they stick on the edit. Weird.

13. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

Thanks guys...

I'm actually planning on making this one of my SHTF guns, so I don't really care what it looks like.

I don't mind if the barrel is sawn off. I was thinking of getting a wooden stock for it, and sawing that off, forming it to a nice handle with a small chisel and sand paper as well. I will, of course, keep the gun the minimum overall length required by law here in Colorado.

As far as finish, like I said, I am not too concerned with the look. I just want something durable. Heck, I would strip it down and spray paint it, if I knew that would last. heh. But, I'd like to do something that will stay on there for a while. A nice home bluing kit or something. Maybe I will replace the barrel, just to make it easy on myself, and go from there.

14. cheapsandwich

cheapsandwich G&G Newbie

A tip on sawing it down. I doubt all federal agents know how to correctly use a tape measure, which is why I think mossberg gives a 1/2 inch on their barrels.
    Might wanna give it an extra inch. just my .02

15. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

Hah. I was thinking the same thing. Give it an extra 1/2" - 1" or so... :)

16. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO

Ruby Ridge proved that the feds can't measure a barrel (Randy was found not guilty on all counts remember) and that they are willing to murder you and your family over 1/2 (1/4 ?)inch. I would leave a little buffer as well.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  17. Mandy

Mandy FREE CITIZEN Forum Contributor

I believe that all Mossberg receivers are aluminum, I learned this the first time when I noticed that the inside of the receiver of my mossy 590 is nicked where the shell hits the top of the receiver when loaded by the elevator, both my mossys are nicked in the same place, later I think I read somewhere that all Mossberg receivers are aluminum, you can see the nick on the pic below on the left top part of the inside of the receiver.

I would clear coat the aluminum receiver after a good polish of the outer surface with something like Mothers Polish and lots of elbow grease to make it shine, the bbl can be refinished with some DIY blueing from Brownells or similar vendor.

Put a folding stock and front pistolgrip from ATI and you'll be set, it would look like this but shorter, it's best of both worlds, small package pistol grip configuration and a shoulder stock when needed. Mine is 20" and has 8+1 capacity in 2 3/4 shells, I also have 2 bandoleers just in case lol

Attached Files: