Just got the Huber trigger, one problem though...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Smokin' Nagant, May 3, 2008.

1. the sear screw will not move. ive already kinda stripped the screw, and dont want to continue causing damage. do u think a gunsmith will get it out or just tell me im screwed?
    i was so excited too to get my new trigger and the sear screw is being a bitch

2. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Well, my first instinct is to call Huber and ask for a replacement or repair.

3. no the trigger is fine the sear screw in the gun is what im talking about.

4. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Back up and start from the beginning!

5. [​IMG]
    number two will not move

6. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Before you completely bugger it up, tap on it (screw face) with a hammer.. It might take just a bit of breaking it loose to get it to turn.
    By tap, I mean just that.. Tap it a couple times, lightly..
    Give this a shot before giving up and taking it to a Gunsmith.

7. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

try to tighten it and then try to remove.

8. niether of those worked.... any other ideas?

9. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

heat it?
    or freeze it?

10. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

I had the same exactly problem with my 91/30 sear screw.

I had to hit it with WD-40, clean it with mineral spirits, let some WD-40 soak in again, tap it with a hammer... then hit it with a hammer after it still wouldn't budge. Let it sit again with WD-40 to soak for a few hours.

Then, I came back with a screwdriver that fit it perfectly (as the multi-tool doesn't fit, it's too thin) and used a very firm pressure down on the screw while turning so I didn't strip it. Finally got it to budge after hurting my hands a couple times.

Likely, it's got cosmoline in there that's dried and kind of welded it in, just like mine had.

Just be careful and make sure you fit whatever you put in there to the slot to prevent stripping it.

11. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

12. ok at least its possible, ill see about getting some wd40 and hitting it with a hammer. how much are those impact drivers? and yea i have the multi-tool which stripped it pretty good, but not too bad, just need the right size like u said. i guess this is what ill do tomorrow :/

13. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

SN, if you look around a bit, you can usually find the cheap ones for around $10-15 complete with bits. The best thing about them is that there is very little chance of the bit slipping out because the downward force from the hammer blow drives it downward at the same time it's turning.

14. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    definately use hollow ground screw drivers, normal household ones will bugger up screws on a gun.

15. Go to harbor freight, if there is one in your town. they usually have inexpensive tools there.

16. Paper

I bought a set of hollow ground gunsmith screwdrivers at Gander Mountain tonight. On sale for $15 for a set of 8 and the holder..

17. Good deal, paper

18. Paper

Can't remember the name, but they have the grippy rubber pannels in the handles. They're normally twice the price, but are on sale right now.

19. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Use Kano Kroil! It will work much better than WD-40 and will seep down into the screw threads and it should help you out.

20. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

+ 1 on the impact Driver !!! Set it to loosen and smack it !
    Use the right bit that fits the screw head !!!
    Rich