Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:feedback: i to all im new here and i got a the newbee questions.
my grandmother just gave a german rifle that my granddad brought home at the end of WWII. it has little german markings all over it look like the eagle over X's i think very hard to make out what they are. the seriel # is 5812 and on the side of the reciver its stamped modle 98 and on the top bnz 43 all numbers match. wondering what cal. it is . and anything else that some one might be able to give. i know it has not been fired in 30 years and looks like a bore brush ran down it and some rem lube it would fire with no problem

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
That old thing?? You don't want that thing..
PM me and I'll take it off your hands.. Those old things are icky and you don't know where it's been..:09:

Mauser 98K Unofficial Web Site. has a list of codes for Mausers and it looks like your's was made in 43 at Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Steyr

bnz 145 8233 8233 1943 Steyr-Daimler-Puch AG, Steyr, Austria

The first is the code, the second is the starting S/N, the third is the final S/N, and the forth is how many were made..

Small batch of rifles, numbers match.. Not only is it a fantastic family herloom, but it's more than likely worth a few bucks, too..

I'll give you $17.84 for it, but you'll have to pay for shipping..:scool:

Fantastic gift from your Grandmother.. Make sure you take her to a very nice lunch.. Grandmothers like that sort of thing..:)

I found this, too.. Compare pics and condition to yours, and he's asking $500 for his..
GunsAmerica - WWII German Mauser bnz 43 Nazi proof marks - Mauser Rifles > German

More info.. bnz 43 Single Rune: didn't buy IT, but I DID buy

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
nice historical piece with family history! I have a Jap Arisaka that my dad brought back from ww2, its the center piece of my mil surp colection.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
:squint:
Damnit guys!! Shhhhh.. He was just about to sell me that thing, too..:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks paper.. is it a 8mm? sorry though its not for sale right now.

hey also on the right side of the reciver is ai what would that mean and on the floor plate there is three little lines and underneith is the number 77

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
thanks paper.. is it a 8mm? sorry though its not for sale right now.
That's good, because I'd feel bad about buying it from you.. Not saying I WOULDN'T buy it, but I'd feel bad.:09:

I'm 99% sure it's a 8mm, but you should have it checked by a gunsmith.. Pony up a few bucks and have someone give it a good, proper cleaning and an educated overall inspection, including verfying what caliber it is..

And don't sell it to the gunsmith..:34:

If you want to do a quick check, and have something at home that's 30 cal, stick the business end of a round into the business end of the rifle.. Like this...

A .30 cal round will drop all the way in, up to the brass and then be able to wiggle around pretty freely.. At least the .308 round that I just stuck in the end of one of my K98's just did.:09: (I figured I better test it myself before telling you to do so)

Anyway, unless it was rebarreled at some time, it's more than likely 8mm Mauser..

Get the gun checked out, and then grab a box of shells and shoot it!! We'd love to see photos of the gun, and what it'll do in your hands, too!!!:)

Oh, and congrats on receiving a great pc of history!!!

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok i will. i was planning on getting it to a smith asap and have it gone over. the bad thing is i dont have a .30cal.. i have a .270 ,sks 7.62x39 ,45acp,357 mag 2-.50 muzzle loader 20 ga 12 ga .17mhr. 22 lr and trying to get pic up asap.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
the bad thing is i dont have a .30cal.. i have 7.62x39
Same thing.. If you have any ammo for your SKS, you have .30 cal ammo.. Drop one in and find out what she shows!!

Oops.. German rifle.. If I remember correctly, it would be actually considered a he..:)

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
The 7.62x39 is a .30 cal. Should be bigger than that. I agree with paper - if it is a war bring back, I am 99.9% sure it is a 8mm Mauser (8x57 ). Oh and - Don't sell that rifle! Not even to me! Value on those depends greatly on model, year, condition, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ok thanks will go do that now and thi site wont let me upload any pic's say's there to big. but if you pm me i could email you pic's

silver run it says mod 98 and on the chamber its stamped bnz 43. on the right side of the reciver there is this stamped ai and on the floor plate stamped 3 little line with 77 under them. and it came back in late 45

hey just checked and teh 7.62 goes to the brass and is very sloppy

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
667 Posts
According to my Mauser book the number 77 on the floor plate could be a WAFFENAMT marking for the bnz Steyr-Daimler-Puch, Steyr Austria. The three lines your are seeing above the 77 might actually be an eagle / flat vulture? Look closely at the mark. You might find the 77 stamped on the stock in the butt area.

A Waffenmant mark consist's of a number, sometimes a number and letters with an eagle above it, plattergeier (flat vulture). Sometimes, but not always the letters WaA proceed the number on the mark.

The Eagle over the "x" indicates a police acceptance stamp in some cases. An eagle over the "swastika" symbol indicates a Beschussstempel (firing proof). So you probably want to look closely to see what mark is under the eagle.

The "ai" drew a blank in the book. It had subcontractor codes listed in letters such as: a , ar , avk , awz ,ax and so on. If the marking is ai, a better book might list it.

Nice rifle by the way. I hope this info might help, maybe someone with a better book will come along.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The E77 indicates Radom (Poland) mfgr. If there is not a WaA623 on top of the receiver then the rifle was built/assembled at Radom. The bbl & stock will most likely have the WaA623 proof, but could be something else because other bbls & stocks were used occasionaly.
What letter is under the ser nr? Where is this ai you say is one the right side - on the left end of the rec or"? How about a photo?
Sarge

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi guys,looks like you got yourself a good old rifle there cooker the K98 was a great battle rifle and is still a formidable weapon,and when in good condition and makes a great hunting rifle ,congrats to you,the stock looks as if it might have been altered a little though,unless its a variation im not familiar with? what do you other guys think?
:)Regards.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts