close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just my 2 cents, new setup stinks.....

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 19D10, Mar 19, 2002.

1. 19D10

19D10 G&G Newbie

What is going on here? What happened to the old setup? This new one is SOOOOO much harder to navigate, and this registration crap has to go. In all fairness Im sure there is a good reason, but I for one am not pleased. I think its time to find another forum thats less cluttered. Sorry, its just my 2 cents, and Im going to miss all of the knowledgable people I have met here.

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Well sorry to hear that, but the old setup was too much for the group of people that we have working with the site to keep up with.

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed in what we thought was best to keep these forums alive, if we had not done this they would have gone down, and all information would have been lost.

3. 19D10,

I sorry you don't like the site, but I do. The information I get here helps me a lot with decisions. I depended on the G&G site to teach me about the world of 40-60 year old battlerifles and that is continuing here.

Even if this format is harder to navigate the price is right and I for one appreciate the time, effort and cost the owner must expend to host the site.

4. 19D10

19D10 G&G Newbie

I guess I better understand now why the switch happened, But I just dont like it. I admit that with time I might grow into it. But someone please answer me this.........Why REGISTRATION!!

5. Chris

We can control spammers easier, with blocking of IP addresses, and people who blantly break the law.

On the old software you could make a post under anyname, and the security features to break passwords was far from secure

6. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Chris don't take this stuff personally I am the administrator for two website's for Caterpillar and believe me you can never make everyone happy. I have to make 178 dealers around the globe happy which equates to approximately 2500 users that are on the system 10 hours a day and thats just one site. You guys have done an excellent job in getting this implemented its just a case of people not wanting to realize change can be good. Keep up the good work okay

Shaun

7. Chris

Thanks Shaun :)

8. simple was better.

I agree with 19D10, I hate the registration, I also think it will turn first time user's away, most people dont wanna go through the hassle of registration just to ask a question, I dont think we need a registration, I think it should be an option, like on www.gunboards.com you can registrar if you wish, or like on 3wheelerworld.com, same thing, I've been visiting the old G&G site since november(01) and I hardly ever saw people spaming, chris and jesse have put alot of hard work into this new site, and I admier hard, I just dont like the new format.

9. KidKwiK

KidKwiK G&G Newbie

I think not having to register on the original format of gunand game is what made me feel welcome in the begining, now that I have been using this forum for 6 months I felt I should register since I like this site so much and the people. But I have to agree most newbies would just move on with out posting a message because of the hassel of registration.

10. old site was more welcoming

I remember back in november when I found G&G, I did a search for turkish mausers and it was #4 or 5, I had skiped over a few gun fourm's that made you register, I didnt wanna go through the hassle unless I had to, then I found G&G and I was very excited! it had a "at home" feeling to it and every one was very helpfull(and still are) ohh well.:(

11. 19D10

19D10 G&G Newbie

Well, it seems that most of us are in agreement. We understand why it changed, and we all admit that with some time we might get used to it. But this registration stuff is not going over well. Is there any way to change, or even simplify the registration? I was really put off by all those "check here' bullets and then after all that I found my first user name was in use. Had to do it all over agin. Major bummer. How can it be fixed?

12. Chris

I will look into making a simple registeration form, with just the basics.

13. Rooster

Rooster G&G Newbie

I liked the old one better

14. mjm90675

mjm90675 G&G Newbie

PA
    I too liked the old one better but you do have to admit that what we have now is still better than nothing. I think that Jesse and Chris put a lot of thought and hard work into this site to keep it alive.

Mike

15. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

19D10, I just learned something today that makes me like this forum better than I did yesterday...On the first page, top right hand side, click on the new post and it will give you all the new post in all the different forums. Lets you see everything real quick and cuts down on all the, OIL WELL, I thought you had to register with any forum in order to post?????

16. I thought so too Mangesmade. Don't much matter, since this is pretty much the only site I visit. At first I had a litttle trouble with the new format, but after only a couple of views, I caught on right away. Really like it now, just follow the clear instructions.