Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Finally found someone with an XD-40 4" Service model in stock, with hi (regular !) caps to boot. Just finished lubing her up (it was surprisingly simple to take-down ) and I'm going to put about 76 rounds through her .. Keeping 24 to leave the mag's loaded overnight... getting that 12th in wasn't too easy. This is my second gun I've owned , the first was a Walther P22 which was sold back after 3 months, but was a fun little gun to shoot. Will post my impressions as a newb when I get back. All they had left in stock for .40 was Remmy's 180gr UMC .. Anyone recommend a solid defense round? I read WWB work best for range , will get those next.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Great pistol! I really like mine. I would look at the Federal Hydra-shok or Cor-Bon for a self defense round. Cor-Bon makes the hottest factory round I have found for the .40 cal. The Cor-Bon I am using is a 150gr JHP at 1200fps. I use the Hydra-shok in my Glock and the Cor-Bon in my XD. They have preferences.

The Winchester white box stuff works pretty well for range use. The Sellier & Bellot is pretty good range ammo as well. I personally wouldn't use the steel case stuff like "Wolf" in that pistol. I don't think it would hurt it, but I just wouldn't.

Also, these will fit as well http://www.streamlight.com/tactical_specifications.htm. I have the MX3 - works great around the house. Not practical for CCW.

Also, keep in mind that it will likely shoot more accurately once you run some ammo through to lossen it up.

Congrats! Enjoy.

Welcome to G&G

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Silver!

Well I just finished cleaning it and let me tell you it was a pleasure , very easy. I've done some research and basically nobody uses the Remmy's compared to Winchester , so I will have to pick those up , because I did have two failures to load properly- I had to (easily) eject the cartridge, but it could have very well just been me. At 50ft I was able to land all 12 on the target, hehe .. that's all I should say. But hey, it was a small 8X8 " or so target and my first time shooting anything other than a .22. I picked up an HKS speedloader for $5 , it was for a glock but I tested it and it works great. Almost everywhere I've checked I've heard not to shoot wolf , so I wouldn't even bother anyway.. thanks. I look forward to shooting it again .. now to find a decent holster for a lefty ..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts