Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from the Beautiful Pacific N.W.

I just received a Type 38 Arisaka rifle that my father brought back from the war. This Arisaka is one of 4 rifles I remember being interested in when I was about 13. Since then they went to other family members to enjoy and now this one has finally made the full journey home. CRAP!! I liked the others better but my sister and brother got them.

I really know very little about this one other than it mostly all there except for a few missing pieces in the bolt mechanism, I can see atleast a rear cap of some sort is missing off the bolt. Any info about a nice exploded view of this weapon would be helpful along with suggestions for good quality replacement parts would be much appreciated. I am sorry for not posting pics as I don't have a digital camera but will ASAP.

One thing I have been told and can see is that the Chrysanthemum IS intact and is really kinda cool looking. The barrel is NOT bright but I have not even run a patch through it yet.

TIA for any help and advice concerning this rifle. Best regards, Jaymo

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that is Numrich Arms, Thanks for the heads up, I will surely track them down and take a look around .

·
Registered
168 Posts
The rear cap of the bolt is actually your safety, push in turn up and the gun is safe. You can get Hornidy ammo for about $15.00 on the wholesale market, look at about $35-40.00 any where else. They're a lot of fun to shot, and have a real strong action (right up there with K98) so you can throw some hot loads down them. If ya don't mind my askng, what condition is the Mum?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rear cap of the bolt is actually your safety, push in turn up and the gun is safe. You can get Hornidy ammo for about $15.00 on the wholesale market, look at about $35-40.00 any where else. They're a lot of fun to shot, and have a real strong action (right up there with K98) so you can throw some hot loads down them. If ya don't mind my askng, what condition is the Mum?
Thanks for the heads up regarding the ammo, that was another thing I was going to have to look into. As for the mum it is mint. I have a second cousin who is a retired Colonel in the Marine Corps who did a fairly nice quick restoration on it and then presented it to me in a nicely finished wood box. The bore is not the brightest but it is a nice momento of my father's journeys in WWII and Korea. My DAD was a Colonel in the Marines aswell and a lifer at 37 years, not to mention he was Joe Foss's ground commander.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Welcome to Numrich Gun Parts Corp.
Sarco had reproduction slings. Very short for a tall guy.
Sportsman guide had reproduction cleaning rods.]
Someone has reproduction mono pods.
Oh course Ebay has parts from time to time.

I bought one at an auction 15 years ago. The first shot out of this rifle is ALWAys dead on at 12:00 4 1/4" high with Norma 180 grain ammo.

Jaymo, you also can make your own ammo from 30-06 cases. the base of case is a few thoundsandths narrower but they work. If you get a set of RCBS loading dies, they come with the .308 expander. You will have to call RCBS to get the .311 expander.

I don't have any reloading recipes but the 125 grain bullet wasn't worth it for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts