close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Just stoped you'all to say howdy and welcome to Georgia.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Doglips, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Now I think I figured out the best thing to do after reading this artical. We just get rid of the INS...maybe open a few welcome centers to keep a few goverment types employeed but not as many. Then we spend the $$ we were spending on the INS to pay for all the services, jobs and other stuff illeagle allians are costing us. Now Im not sure how the cop who made the stop felt when he was told to let them go...but I imagin that these alians are still scratching their heads about it.... Guess they figure the cop just stoped them to say welcom to Georgia...now ya'll have a nice day....

Illegal Immigrants Stopped And Released

Story by John Madewell on Mon, Jul 29th 2002 (5:11 PM)

Tunnel Hill, Georgia police stopped seven people traveling in a panel van. After finding out they were illegal immigrants, police let them go when the INS told them to.

Tunnel Hill, Georgia police officer Thomas Agredano says he stopped this panel van because its tag light was out.
    When the back door was opened, Agredano found five Mexicans..and two in the cab.
    Agredano says they told him they were not U.S. citizens.
    The van had Florida tags.
    The group told Agredano they were going to Tennessee to harvest tomatoes.
    Agredano contacted Dalton's Immigration Task Force.
    In his report, Agredano writes I-N-S Agent Doug Sullivan told him to release them citing no holding cells available.
    Tunnel Hill police Chief Roy Brunson offers this perspective, "I think it's unfortunate we don't have a holding facility that'll take care of a problem like that. I know we've got a lot of immigrants in the area, particularly more in the Dalton area than we have in Tunnel Hill. I know it's been a bit of an ongoing problem."
    Sue Brown of the INS explained the release this way.
    Brown said, "They didn't have enough space, detention space with which to keep them."
    Chief Brunson says he understands the decision. "I'm sure they're doing the best the can and handling it the best they can," Brunson said.

The INS went on to say the priority for detaining and deporting would have been higher if these seven people had been smuggled or engaged in criminal acitivity.
    Brown says agents have to make choices, including releasing illegal immigrants, in the field.
    Brown said, "It happens a lot, where we don't have enough resources, enough beds and enough people."

Two INS agents in north Georgia cover 13 counties.
    At the time of this traffic stop, both were working criminal investigation cases.
    As for facilities, the INS contracts with various jails to hold detainees.
    It does not have a contract with the Whitfield County jail.
    At last check, the van continued north to tomato fields in east Tennessee.

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Geez,if the police stop me,they never let me go,till they give me a ticket or something,and I'm a legal citizen.