Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to by a cheap military surplus rifle and I think I have narrowed it down to the Swiss K-31($100) or Mosin Nagant M91/30($75-100). I know the K-31 ammo is expensive and I don't reload but I have read that Wolf is going to be selling the 7.5 x 55 in about a month so that should bring down the price of the ammo. What do you all think? K-31 or Mosin.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
A K-31 for $100? I'd get it. They go for more than that here.
The ammo is the ONLY reason I havent gotten one! Neat guns.

Yeah, both of them.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
DANA said:
Everyone should have at least one K-31

DANA
You may think so, but in fact the truth is that everyone should have at least two. I have learned my lesson with the K31. I had it for less than a month and my darling first decendant prematurely "inherited" it :D She is worth it ,though... I think.... sometimes...

I own a 91/30 and am planning to acquire (yet another) K31. I like both. The Swiss-Miss is definately the more accurate of the two (even after glass-bedding the 91/30), but the commercial ammo pricing is brutal.

If you decide on the K31, I would reccomend a set of reloading dies. You should never shoot the GP11 ammo in your K31. My logic is simple: If you don't shoot GP11 then the milsurp stock would last longer, and I like them :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read about Wolf selling the 7.5 x 55 on some kind of swiss rifle website. So I went to Wolf's website and e-mailed them last night and they said, "Yes, it will be available a month from now."

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,699 Posts
Get the K31 first, as the supply is always lower and they can get mighty scarce at times! Far fewer imported here.
Then get the Mosin later. You can never have too many milsurps! :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
akDom said:
I read about Wolf selling the 7.5 x 55 on some kind of swiss rifle website. So I went to Wolf's website and e-mailed them last night and they said, "Yes, it will be available a month from now."
They say how much?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I gave $ 30 for a box of 20 Norma. Surely the Wolf has to be cheaper?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Thats good news about Wolf's ammo. I don't own a K31 yet but I am happy to hear about cheaper ammo being availiable.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Mosin All the way!!!! The ammo is more cheap and plentiful. Although, on some sites they have 60 rds for around $10, the Mosin ammo is still cheaper

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,699 Posts
If you want a truly high-quality milsurp, the Swiss K31 is the way to go. Swiss precision has it all over the mass-produced crudity of the Mosin-Nagant!
That being said, I have five Mosins and only one K31 . . . :nod:

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
FutureMarine said:
Mosin All the way!!!! The ammo is more cheap and plentiful.
No way!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone that has a K31 is never gonna say that.

Even if some ammo is high priced. and perhaps Wolf ammo will be reasonably cheap, the superior quality of the Schmidt Rubin rifle, itself, over the inferior designed and hard to open bolts of the M/N make the Schmidt Rubin a far, far better gun to own and shoot.

I guarantee if you could put either gun in the hands of a Russian combat shooter, and he had the ability to choose either, he'd choose the Scmidt Rubin.

I've wondered how many lives were lost due to the poor bolt operations of the M/N?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I'm with BigDog on this, buy a K-31 first as there aren't as many around as there are Mosin Nagants. There are TONS of Nagants. Getting one shouldn't be a problem for a long time.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Poor bolt operations of the MN? I'd say my only complaints about it are feeding the mag and operating the safety. And of course the Schmidt Rubin will be far more accurate.

That said, the Mosins are definitely more common and will be around when the SRs have dried up and gone up in price to what they're actually worth. So yes, get the Rubin. If Wolf will be making the ammo, I think I'll get one too.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
BattleRifleG3 said:
Poor bolt operations of the MN?
I referrenced the bolt issues only because I have never heard of Schmidt Rubin owner complaining of a sticking bolt that needed a five pound sledge to open.

(even with chamber cleaning I have never have seen a Mosin totally FREE of sticking issues).

In my book Mosin Nagants have been terribly over-rated. If it weren't for the cheap prices (think why that might be, too) they would be completely avoided by collectors.

I mean.....put a $300 price tag (something you might expect with a M96, less than a 1903, or any other great, GREAT gun) on a Mosin and they'd nearly all still be on the 'for sale' market.

Ninety percent (or better) of Mosin owners have sticky bolt issues...'nuf said.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Dale said:
I've wondered how many lives were lost due to the poor bolt operations of the M/N?
Everyone must have seen the "Enemy at the Gates" - wonder if they were trying to depict something true when they show that the political officer guy (one with the glasses) can't get the bolt open and hands the rifle to Vassily, or that he is merely untrained in the use of the rifle ? :hmmm:

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Dale said:
No way!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone that has a K31 is never gonna say that.
In fact, most who own a K31 would rather buy another K31 before a Mosin. Thats just the way the cookie crumbles.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts