close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

K31/GP11 die brand differences

Discussion in 'Swiss Rifles' started by Pronsias, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Pronsias

Pronsias G&G Evangelist

NV
    I did a search, but nothing definite found.
    Rumor online suggests that Lee and maybe RCBS dies shape the shoulder differently and are actually made for the specs of 1911/GP90 rounds. Redding I think is made for GP11, but their dies are several times more expensive.

1) Is it still true that Lee (and RCBS?) dies are different?

2) Does it matter? If I go for the GP90, what will I be sacrificing? Accuracy?

3) Any personal experience? Your recommended dies?

2. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I have the Lee dies, both the FL and the Neck Sizing. They work plenty fine for me. I haven't quite equaled the accuracy of the GP11 ammo, but I ascribe that to the foibles of bullet shape and my powder loads. The Swiss GP11 bullet is a unique ogive shape, which is only approached by the 174 grain Berger VLD bullet - too danged expensive for me! And I haven't been able to find the Reloader RL17 powder that the Swiss Rifles forum guys say is the best to use.
    I also use reformed .284Win brass, which some guys have had trouble with. They work fine in my rifle.

3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have the Lee dies, but I also use nothing but 6.5X55 brass. I lucked into someone who had a stash of them and needed other brass I had, so we swapped.

4. Big Dog

5. dogzebra

dogzebra G&G Evangelist

I reload with RCBS, Dillion and Lee FL dies. For the Swiss rifles I own, I use Lee dies. For the 7.5x55 ammo reloaded for my Swiss rifles, I reload everything to pass through my K-31. If it chambers in the K-31, I can fire it in my 96/11, 1911, and K-11.

I have had good luck with IMR 4064, IMR 3031, IMR 4895 and H335. Best luck was with Reloader 15 and 17.

For bullets I use Hornady 150 - 168s, whatever I can find. I bought a bunch of 40 year old, NIB, Herter's bullets from 150- 200 grs., and can't wait to try them out, but I got side tracked with a couple of wonder 9s and a .44 Mag purchase.

For primers, I like CCI and Winchester, but whatever they happen to have is what I buy. Brass I use is Privi Partizan.

The 1889 Swiss I bought last Spring has been a real challenge to reload for. No one wants to give out any data, so I've been winging it on my own, using adjusted 30/40 Krag data and my clock. I'm sure the heavy Herter's will come in handy for it.

Big Dog likes this.
  6. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Doh! What in the heck was I thinking? Mixed my Swedish with my Swiss.

A mind is a terrible thing to lose!

But I did get a buttload of 7.5 Swiss boxer primed stuff from somewhere.

Big Dog likes this.
  7. Big Dog

8. Pronsias

Pronsias G&G Evangelist

NV
    Thanks. Maybe I'll try the Lee. I just polished 48 7.5x55 Prvi Partizan and I think I have another box or two.