Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, this is my first post, and first rifle. I've just been given a russian capture german military issue k98 mauser. I've done a lot of searching and reading in order to find my answer, but to no avail. My problem is that the safety, when in the half safe position, will engage and fire a cartridge when the bolt is engaged forward and the trigger is pulled. What am I looking at in terms of figuring out what's wrong and needs replaced? should I just disassemble the bolt and look for signs of damage?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I would take a look at the safety tab. You may try to disassemble the bolt and pull the safety tab out to inspect it. I'm guessing it's lost some metal at the half safety's position. I'll attach two photos that should better explain what to look for, have a look at em'. If it comes out to be the safety tab, let us know. Hope this helps, good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
When you look at the bolt make sure the detent is pushed and screw the bolt firing pin all the way in. There have been bolts brough to me that only a turn or so were done and then the gun will fire with the safty on.

DANA

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
does the safety look like this?

has it been ground any?

·
Registered
561 Posts
German Mauser Safety

Hi all, this is my first post, and first rifle. I've just been given a russian capture german military issue k98 mauser. I've done a lot of searching and reading in order to find my answer, but to no avail. My problem is that the safety, when in the half safe position, will engage and fire a cartridge when the bolt is engaged forward and the trigger is pulled. What am I looking at in terms of figuring out what's wrong and needs replaced? should I just disassemble the bolt and look for signs of damage?

I would pull the bolt out, take it apart, clean and lube (sparingly), check all parts for abnormal wear and reassemble. There is a very good step by step procedure for Mauser bolts on "Surplus Rifles".

·
Registered
691 Posts
You can't put the firing pin in wrong on a K98k so that isn't the problem.
I'd guess it's the safety lever as different mfgr seem to not all work in just any bolt, even when there is nothing wrong with them. More often the problem is the safety won't engage at all. Your problem is a good bit unusual.
Sarge

·
Registered
1 Posts
K98 Safety and Sight Hood

I hate to tag along one someone elses thread but it applies and I am just learning about the guns I have inherited: I have my father's guns, one is a 1944 byf mauser obendorf k98 and it is missing the safety and hood. I would like to clean it up. Does anyone know where to start looking for these parts? The gun is clean, serial numbers match (7016) but he never shot it or his own WWII guns after the war. They went into a closet in his mind and stayed there until he passed away.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Much as I hate to say it, both can be found on ebay. I know Classic Arms had sight hoods. Tennessee Gun parts has both.
Tennessee Gun Parts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts