Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I stopped by Dunham's today to check on their ammo status and to pick up some camouflage netting and a slip-on buttpad for my M44.

Of course, I had to peruse the guns. There was a special on 91/30s, but they had all been claimed by the time I got there, which was a shame as I could have bought one this month. There were a couple laminates, but the prices were not reduced on those.

Something that did catch my attention were a couple K98 Israeli Mausers. They had "7.62" stamped large on the receiver, and again on the import mark.

According to the sales guy, they were from Israel and had been rechambered to NATO specifications. The tags said they were both "collectible."

They were in about 75% condition, looked shootable but nothing special. The were going for $500 apiece.

Not that I can particularly afford those right now, but I'm wondering, are those rifles really worth it?

Thanks,

Josh <><

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,362 Posts
Yes, the Israelis rebarreled their Mausers - I always found this interesting, to use the weapons of their one-time arch-enemies to build their own nation. The prices are rather high for what is essentially a refurbed Kar98k.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Not very collectible. Lots of them around. Price too high. Your BS detector should have activated.

That said, they can be good shooters.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello,

I'm new to rifles, and I have no idea what is collectible and what is not, so I don't have a BS detector yet :) I'm working on it though! ;)

Josh <><

·
Registered
234 Posts
the isrealies must of had a surplus of .308 since they seem to convert the k98 to that calliber more than other countrys..$500????..tell the shop owner to stop smokeing crack when pricing his invetory, thats double the average price.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Overpriced

Israel rebarreled (not rechambered) a vast amount of German army 8MM Mausers and other weapons to the Nato 7.62 mm = .308 Winchester when
Nato adopted the round. These guns you saw are overpriced unless in just fantastic condition.

·
Registered
741 Posts
A well-developed BS detector is essential when buying guns. Buy the gun, not the story! (So says Bruce Canfield.)

·
Registered
234 Posts
actaually 7.62x51 is NOT the same as .308 Win. the millitary 7.62 has pressures aout 50,000 si, while the .308 Win, which is a civillian hunting cartridge, can produce pressures up to 62,000 psi, so if you ever buy one of these rifles I would be a little hessitant to use .308 Win.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use handloaded .308s in my mauser every time i shoot it, and they are hopped up loads, no problem, they can tolerate it, as long as you dont get to stupid, anyways, 500 is freakin nuts for a 98 mauser unless its in top shape. This gun dealer needs to lay of the payoti.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi guys,I have a couple of those Israeli 7.62,have had them for over 15 yrs and have put many different types of 308 ammo through with no problems to date,I paid around $100 aus for each about 2 or 3 yrs apart,they are currently readily available here for $200 to $300 each, I would think as most have said that $500 US would be fairly excessive,as with most if not all the K98 these are solid war horses and very dependable guns.
:)Regards.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Not worth it at that price

Conversion was common and the rifle would
need to be in truly pristine condition perhaps
with a rare Israli marking to be of interest on
the collector market.

If you want a .308, and many people do,
you should buy a new rifle form a major
manufacturer.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
guninwater, you might try gunparts corp aka numerich. you will need to have the headspace checked when using a new bolt.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Funny that Duhnam's would be so steep! They usually have great prices, of coarse that's only during their sales, but they often have sales. I mean, for example, WASR-10 double stacks for $300, Mitchell's Mausers $250, Mosin 91/30's for $70...The list is endless with their deals. I've bought....a....let's see....hmm....Ah! Two Mosin's ( 91/30 and M-44) one Schmidt-Rubin K-31, and my unissued Yugo SKS from there...Th 91/30 was $60, the Swiss and the Yugo were $170 and the M-44 was like $80....Maybe they'll have a sale on them soon...Keep an eye one them, wouldn't surprise me to see them go below $250 atleast!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yep, doesnt really surprise me... (Employee of a Dunham's store) Some stuff is just incredible cheap and others, Not so much.... We have a Mitchells Mauser 98 thats on clearance for $350... Its in great shape, but still too much if you ask me...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts