Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Wonderment :)
32,016 Posts
runfiverun: Sir; I had no idea!
Reading the non taxables vs taxable grub

https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/lawguides/vol1/sutr/sales-and-use-tax-regulations-art8-all.html

(a) IN GENERAL. Tax does not apply to sales of food products for human consumption except as provided in Regulations 1503, 1574, and 1603. (Grocers, in particular, should note that tax applies to sales of "hot prepared food products" as provided in Regulation 1603(e).)

(1) "Food products" include cereal and cereal products, including malt and malt extracts, milk and milk products, including ice cream, ice milk and ice cream and ice milk novelties, sherbets, imitation ice cream and imitation ice milk, dried milk products, sugar of milk, milk shakes, malted milks, and any other similar type beverages composed at least in part of milk or a milk product and requiring the use of milk or a milk product in their preparation, oleomargarine, meat and meat products, fish and fish products, eggs and egg products, vegetables and vegetable products, including dehydrated vegetables, fruit and fruit products, spices and salt, coffee and coffee substitutes, tea, cocoa and cocoa products, sugar and sugar products, baby foods, bakery products, marshmallows, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, coconut, flavoring extracts, flour, gelatin, jelly powders, mustard, nuts, peanut butter, sauces, soups, syrups (for use as an ingredient of, or upon, food products as defined herein), yeast cakes, olive oil, bouillon cubes, meat extracts, popcorn, honey, jams, jellies, certo, mayonnaise, and flavored ice products, including popsicles and snow cones. "Food products" include candy, confectionery, and chewing gum.

(2) "Food products" include all fruit juices, vegetable juices, and other beverages, whether liquid or frozen, including all beverages composed in part of fruit or vegetable juice and concentrates, powders, or other bases for such beverages, and noncarbonated and noneffervescent bottled water intended for human consumption regardless of the method of delivery. "Food products" does not include carbonated or effervescent bottled waters, spirituous, malt or vinous liquors, or carbonated beverages.

Sales of purified drinking water through vending machines or outlets in retail stores where the water enters the machine or outlet through local supply lines and is dispensed into the customer's own containers are exempt under Revenue and Taxation Code section 6353.

Tax does not apply to sales of water in bulk quantities of 50 gallons or more to an individual for use in a residence when that residence is not serviced by lines, mains or pipes.

(3) "Food products" do not include medicines, cough drops, mineral oils, cigarettes, cigars, tobacco, coloring extract, ice, and dog, cat, bird and other animal foods.

(4) "Food products" do not include any product for human consumption in liquid, powdered, granular, tablet, capsule, lozenge, or pill form (A) which is described on its package or label as a food supplement, food adjunct, dietary supplement, or dietary adjunct, and to any such product (B) which is prescribed or designed to remedy specific dietary deficiencies or to increase or decrease generally one or more of the following areas of human nutrition

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
From the cited article: "......a new set of regulations that bans gatherings of more than three households."

Well that's easy! If your visitors are staying with you than that is just one household.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
33,986 Posts
California doesn't charge sales tax on food.
it's the only thing they don't tax.
The Beatles wrote a protest song about the government and taxes that is worth a listen. Especially when we are talking about Commiefornia.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
Texas doesn't charge tax on food or drugs, including OTC drugs/supplements, with some exceptions. Food you buy at the store is not taxed, but food you buy at a restaurant is. Designation of "food" is sometimes screwy. I don't know all of them, but candy is taxable, cupcakes are not.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
16,693 Posts
I built that bridge in my driveway about 10 years ago and I couldn't believe all the freaking people who asked who you get permission to build that from or what permits you need.

Now I've had a "new" neighbor for 2 or 3 years. He looks at mine and first thing he says is asking who to need to ask to build that. No one. So next thing is out talking to the county commissioner, talking to the county road people, going around asking if there are government grants. I JUST BUILT THAT TEN YEARS AGO? WHY did you ask if you don't believe me? I KNOW, I just did exactly what you asked me. Don't go asking all those hacks for permission, they don't have a clue. Probably not a one of them has ever poured a yard of concrete for their self. NO ONE ELSE but YOU is going to pay for YOUR bridge on YOUR property.

"Well I just thought..."

Just a few days ago he is over here asking "Is there a rule or requirement for how high you need a back stop for shooting in to?" NO, don't go asking every one in the county either. If one bullet leaves your own property, no matter WHERE it goes, you are responsible for what it does. When you are shooting/building that back stop just ask your self if you would do that toward your own house, because every direction from right here that you look there is SOMEONE'S house eventually.

It is funny the looks you get from back yard shooters when you ask them if they would be willing to turn that target range around and shoot in to the same back stop if it were 10 feet in front of their own house instead of shooting AWAY from their house toward someone else's house.

I say the same thing regarding all of these idiots who keep asking the ATF for permission to do stuff that is already 100% legal to do...

ask enough times and see what happens. :rolleyes:o_O

·
Registered
24,828 Posts
I say the same thing regarding all of these idiots who keep asking the ATF for permission to do stuff that is already 100% legal to do...

ask enough times and see what happens. :rolleyes:o_O
YUP!!

NOTHING feeds their ego, and quest for more power, than asking them for permission to do something you should have already known you had the right to do.

·
Super Moderator
16,693 Posts
Ya know, that's not a bad way to live and through this thing I've embraced it.

I don't need YOUR PERMISSION or authorization to do XXX. In fact, I reject the premise completely.

Having lived a life where I've made a living using other peoples stuff as tools to provide commercial services, I know when I need someone's authorization and when I don't. If I'm using their train set then I play by their rules. But they don't get to tell me how to play with MY train set.
I built that bridge in my driveway about 10 years ago and I couldn't believe all the freaking people who asked who you get permission to build that from or what permits you need.

Now I've had a "new" neighbor for 2 or 3 years. He looks at mine and first thing he says is asking who to need to ask to build that. No one. So next thing is out talking to the county commissioner, talking to the county road people, going around asking if there are government grants. I JUST BUILT THAT TEN YEARS AGO? WHY did you ask if you don't believe me? I KNOW, I just did exactly what you asked me. Don't go asking all those hacks for permission, they don't have a clue. Probably not a one of them has ever poured a yard of concrete for their self. NO ONE ELSE but YOU is going to pay for YOUR bridge on YOUR property.

"Well I just thought..."

Just a few days ago he is over here asking "Is there a rule or requirement for how high you need a back stop for shooting in to?" NO, don't go asking every one in the county either. If one bullet leaves your own property, no matter WHERE it goes, you are responsible for what it does. When you are shooting/building that back stop just ask your self if you would do that toward your own house, because every direction from right here that you look there is SOMEONE'S house eventually.

It is funny the looks you get from back yard shooters when you ask them if they would be willing to turn that target range around and shoot in to the same back stop if it were 10 feet in front of their own house instead of shooting AWAY from their house toward someone else's house.

·
Wonderment :)
32,016 Posts
caused me to view NC tax structure

4.75%
2020 North Carolina state sales tax
Exact tax amount may vary for different items

The North Carolina state sales tax rate is 4.75%, and the average NC sales tax after local surtaxes is 6.9%.

• Prescription Drugs are exempt from the North Carolina sales tax
  • Counties and cities can charge an additional local sales tax of up to 2.75%, for a maximum possible combined sales tax of 7.5%
  • North Carolina has 1012 special sales tax jurisdictions with local sales taxes in addition to the state sales tax
  • North Carolina has a lower state sales tax than 51.9% of states
Counties and cities in North Carolina are allowed to charge an additional local sales tax on top of the North Carolina state sales tax. 92 out of the 100 counties in North Carolina collect a local surtax of 2%. Most groceries are taxed at a reduced rate of 2% (excluding things like candy and soft drinks).

There is a state wide sales tax holiday on the first weekend of August (Friday to Sunday) for the benefit of back-to-school shoppers during which no sales tax is collected on most school related purchases. Exempt items include notebooks, computer equipment, school supplies, clothes, and sporting goods.

If you are a North Carolina business owner, you can learn more about how to collect and file your North Carolina sales tax return at the 2020 North Carolina Sales Tax Handbook .

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
18,993 Posts
Hey I’ve got one of those letters.

It’s been working pretty well. So far.

Guess that guy stole my idea.

When weak minded relatives asked me if I had ‘been tested’ when the WuFlu thing kicked off and I was still traveling a lot I just replied ‘Sure’

That worked too.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Hey I’ve got one of those letters.

It’s been working pretty well. So far.

Guess that guy stole my idea.

When weak minded relatives asked me if I had ‘been tested’ when the WuFlu thing kicked off and I was still traveling a lot I just replied ‘Sure’

That worked too.
The "PAID IN FULL" on the receipt is your permit.

Reactions: Ten Man

·
Registered
113 Posts
Atomize and atomize and atomize. Online discussion can be monitored and punished, but it's not until we're unable to speak face to face that the government can truly influence all discourse.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts