close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kayaking on the 4th

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Klaus, Jul 5, 2002.

1. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I and some relatives went to Lake Livingston on the 4. One of my brothers and I went kayaking about 9 miles (in choppy water).Here are some pics. I have an orange inflatable kayak that packs up into a bag small enough to fit on a motorcycle. Had a good time.

Attached Files:

• k2.jpg
      k2.jpg
      File size:
      137.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

This is pic 2, a small island in the middle of the lake. The kayak has rigid bow and stern sections so it is fairly streamlined, though not as good as a fully rigid kayak.

Attached Files:

• k1.jpg
      k1.jpg
      File size:
      206.9 KB
      Views:

3. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Klaus I didn't know you were a paddler. If I am in your neck of the woods Ill look ya up. Ever do any white water?

4. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

No, I am a bit of a noob at paddling. Have not done any whitewater yet, just lakes. I could do class II or class III rivers with my inflateable yak.

5. SPOCAHP ANAR

This is a pic of me and the boy on the Dan river. It is normally a class 1/2 with the water anywhere from 6" to 3'. But at higher water it can do a class 2-3 in some spots. I have a whitewater Kayak but never got the edge for it. I took it to the beach and tried the waves. Those things are like rockets when you hit them just right.

I eventually want to get a raft and a canoe, might trade the kayak.

Attached Files:

6. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Must have missed something in the pic. Did not see a gun rack, coffe cup holder or ash tray on any of these boats :)

7. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Cool, I haven't gone canoeing or kayaking in a long time. I live by the bay of Lake Erie and was looking at canoes a couple of days ago. I walk down 1 house to the water and i'm in Lake Erie.

8. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Doglips,I'm with you,Paddle? Too much work,give me a sailboat.

9. Klaus- Great pictures--Is that you or a brother in the picture. Man that looks like a lot of fun. Hope you left your compass book at home.
    Phacopsrana-you definately look younger than the fossil. Nice looking young man you have there.

10. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I have the orange inflatable kayak. That is one of my brothers in the yellow one. I left my compass at home, but brought my Garmin GPS 3+. The yellow thing on the deck is an air pump. I was wearing a life vest (PDF), but it covered less of my back than I expected. My shoulderblades got badly burned because I neglected to apply sufficient sun block.

11. Sorry about the sunburn--been there done that - man that is miserable. Hopefully the good time made up for it.

12. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Klaus, What make/model and what was the cost??? Just wondering since we are talking about getting into kayaks.

13. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I have an AirFrame kayak from a company called Advanced Elements. It is 10.5 feet long, and a little wider than a normal kayak. I bought it at REI for about $340 dollars. It is far better than the Sevlor models running $150. You can get a fairly decent polyethylene (rotomolded) kayak for $500-$600. The cost goes up with size and added features such as rudders or rettractable skegs. My brother's kayak is called a Dagger. It is about a foot longer than mine and more streamlined, with a retractable skeg. His cost about $900. My kayak is about as small as possible for someone of my size. There are 3 types of kayaks: Touring, Whitewater, and Recreational. The traditional Kayak is the Touring Kayak. It is 15 to 25 feet long. It is very streamlined and has many storage compartments. People use these for long camping or fishing trips. People have even crossed oceans in them. Plus, they are used for hunting whales. The opposite is the Whitewater Kayak. They are short and very rounded, generally with no storage compartments. They are not as streamlined as other kayaks, so they are slower. They also tip over fairly easily. However, they are very maneuverable and easy to roll upright again. The third type is the Recreational Kayak, which is like a short touring kayak. They are about 10-15 feet long, fairly streamlined, and have some storage space. This is the kind my brother and I have. The recreationals are good for lakes, bays, and rivers, as long as the water isn't too crazy (class 3 or less).

14. SPOCAHP ANAR

www.paddle.net

This is a mecca of paddling info, even has a classifieds section.

I am with you on the Seveylor Kayaks. They are cheap and not as durable so I am told. You get what you pay for; but keep in mind that a 3000$ fiberglass touring kayak isn't for everyone either.

Perception, cobra, wilderness systems, dagger all are manufacturers. Contact your local outfitters and more importantly a paddling club to find out what type you will need.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2002
  15. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

P.s. now If anyone wants to tell me to go jump in the lake you know I can...

16. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

how do you post jpegs here i rafted the grand canyon for 27 days in 1997, not a company raft but a bunch of good friends took us 15 years to get the permit, all good rafters and good boat men, i would like to share this with you guys

17. Phacopsrana, In your pic post, Your son is the skipper huh? That's a good dad, make that boy work! Builds charactor! I own a Mohawk fiberglass. Its been in salt water many times on the upper Texas coast. I refer to canoe enthusiast as Canoe Lizards. This October, Im headed back to the upper Brazos River again for a 4 day trip.

Ya'know the last guy seen in a canoe not paddling got the nickname of "Cleopatra".

When worse comes to worse, never drop your paddle.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2002
  18. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

To post a picture, click on the "post reply" button next to the "new thread" button. This will open up a page with many options, including attach file. Click on the browse button bt attach file and find your pic on your hard drive and select it. You may have to reduce your resolution a bit to meet the size limit. I generally have to shink mine about 50%, vertical and horizontal.

19. SPOCAHP ANAR

Sorry FMJack, we posed for that pic. I was in a Blue Hole WW canoe which was very controllable on the easy going Dan. It would have been a different story on higher water I 'm sure. We were anchored on a sandbar there.(if ya look in the bottom lower right you'll see a rock just under the water) the water in that spot was about 6 inches. I had the boy keep his hands on either side to keep his weight stable. Once he decided to lean over to play in the water and the boat gently leaned with him; scared the mess out of me since I had been looking downstream to see what was coming up.

20. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Good to hear about your other hobbies/activities

Klaus:

It's good to learn of your other interests. I believe it's healthy to have several hobbies. Mostly we talk about guns here but it's always interesting to hear about other hobbies/recreational activities that g&G posters are doing.

Oxford:nod: