Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been seeing them in the mags for a while, but I haven't really heard any opinions about them. Their pistols look well built, and their carbines look better than most I have seen.
Does anyone own a firearm from Kel-Tec?
http://www.kel-tec.com/products.htm

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,027 Posts
I don't own any, but have handled them. A couple buddies have them.
My co-worker/shooting friend has the Sub-2000 9mm Carbine. I've detailed in this forum before, my utter disgust at this abomination of a firearm. It makes my Hi-Point Carbine look good! Nuff said.
My other buddy has the compact .380 pistol. The trigger is stiffer than I prefer, and it's mighty small for my big mitts, but it functions well. It would make a very good concealed carry gun, or a hide-out piece.
He also has the .223 caliber SU-16 rifle. That's a nifty gun, in the same basic price range as the Ruger Mini-14. Decent accuracy (though it needs the optional adjustable rear sight!), and it has been 100% reliable. Uses GI AR-15 magazines too. Scope mounting is easy, as it folds under. They got that bit right, unlike the Sub-2000. Light, handles well, is stouter than it looks - not flimsy at all.

Well, that is my experience with the Kel-Tecs. :cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I use the Kel-Tek 9mm in an ankle holster for concealed carry. The pistol is accurate,reliable and light. On the negative side I would say it is ugly and double action only. For what I use it for it is just about perfect. My wife has a P-32 and after one trip back to the factory it is everything I could hope for in a deep concealment hideout gun. The price on both at this time is a bargain in my opinion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm a very big Kel Tec supporter , I have 5 of them, 3 P11 pistols and 2 P32's. I have never dealt with such quality. Exceptional firearms at great prices. Favored by law enforcement as backups, supperb for concealed carry, excellent to shoot and highly reliable. They take some time to get used to, I have extensive experience with them, please don't hesitate to contact me with any specifics. I would suggest you get the P11 9mm. Its by far my favorite. Here are my P11s. Keep in mind that their pistols are double action only and there are no external safeties, this is done to minimize snag for better concealment. The trigger pull is heavy to deter accidental discharge, you will get used to it.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas. I personally like the P-11 pistols, and I like the looks of it. Wish they made it in 40cal though. Maybe in a few years? I would like affordable, reliable 9mm to plink with. My saturday-night-special is trashed out.
Remington597- have you had any problems with jamming?

BigDog- Why do you hate the SUB Rifle so much?
I personally haven't had a chance to hold or fire one, so I can't really speak my opinion.

·
Registered
37 Posts
myarmor:
No problems with jamming whatsoever. I use Magtech and Winchester. I also use Speer Gold Dot Hollowpoints for concealed carry and Magtech and Winchester full metal jackets for target practice.

·
36,027 Posts
Myarmor, The gun speaks volumes on cheapness. The Sub2000 replaced many of the earlier Sub9's steel parts with plastic. The sights are virtually useless for me, and adjustment is difficult and clunky. The over-the-top folding ability prevents easy installation of a solid scope/optical mount. Length of pull is woefully short, for us ape-armed guys. Even my buddy - short little guy that he is - says it's too short! The recoil system extending back into the stock tube makes installing a better stock impossible, and I don't like the operating knob position there.
The plastic Glock magazines can be a PITA to load the last few rounds (he should've gotten the Beretta magged version, as he has a Taurus PT92 pistol.
Taurus mags could've been modified to fit.
On the plus side, it is reliable and fairly accurate - similar to my Hi-Point. It's only real advantage is the full-capacity magazines.

It just isn't for me. Others do like it though - it's a subjective thing.
Heck, I hate Glocks too, but I shoot them so danged well! Put's my beloved Colt .45 to shame! :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
myarmor said:
Wish they made it in 40cal though.

I have been told by a gunsmith here that there is a .40 cal conversion kit sold for the Kel-Tec's. I was looking into getting a Kel-Tec a while back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Whitley

Big Dog said:
I don't own any, but have handled them. A couple buddies have them.
My co-worker/shooting friend has the Sub-2000 9mm Carbine. I've detailed in this forum before, my utter disgust at this abomination of a firearm. It makes my Hi-Point Carbine look good! Nuff said.
My other buddy has the compact .380 pistol. The trigger is stiffer than I prefer, and it's mighty small for my big mitts, but it functions well. It would make a very good concealed carry gun, or a hide-out piece.
He also has the .223 caliber SU-16 rifle. That's a nifty gun, in the same basic price range as the Ruger Mini-14. Decent accuracy (though it needs the optional adjustable rear sight!), and it has been 100% reliable. Uses GI AR-15 magazines too. Scope mounting is easy, as it folds under. They got that bit right, unlike the Sub-2000. Light, handles well, is stouter than it looks - not flimsy at all.

Well, that is my experience with the Kel-Tecs. :cool:
Thread and Interested Shooters in the Kel-Tec SU16.

I purchased a Kel-Tec SU16 New for $450 and found it to be light and easy to carry, especially when it is folded. However, I did find some negatives which prompted me to sell the Rifle within the same week. I wanted a rifle that would hold up under the many rounds shot in 3-Gun Multi-Gun competition. After shooting a clip, with a 1.5x6 Sightron III Scope, I found that the accuracy jumped from 1 MOA to all over the place as much as 10MOA at 100 yards with many different kind of loads. I called Kel-Tec and spoke to Darrel Brantley, the builder of the rifle and discussed the problem. I told him that when the barrel heats up, the connection to the upper receiver and barrel changes the zero on the rifle drastically. If you are only going to shoot a few rounds, then the rifle is fine. The trigger was improved by a little "Snake Oil" and alot of dry firing from 6 lbs to 4 lbs. Darrel said to send the rifle back to him at no charge and they would fix or check the problem. I sold the gun instead.

·
36,027 Posts
Interesting comments on the SU-16! My friend that owns it is mainly a pistol shooter - we call him the "Glockman", as he has nine at last count!

He shoots the rifle slowly, just a few rounds, then checks target and cleans the gun. He has his own ideas about "break-in" procedures. I shot a few rounds too, but we really haven't given it a thourough testing.

One thing we did find, was the standard fixed rear sight was inadequate, abd the "adjustable" front sight didn't have enough travel to compensate.
He tried a different frontsight (for the Sub2000 actually) but it was far too low, and the gun shot 17" high at 25 yards! Oops.
He finally ordered the optional windage-adjustable rear sight, and it was much better. Still, the sights are all plastic. Like I said, I'm going to see how this gun holds up with time and more shooting. I'll try to get him to let me really wring it out, I'll use my own mags and ammo.
My Bushpup stays dead-on when I really warm it up - I want to see if the Kel-Tec does the same, or won't hold zero or group size?
This gun really is crying to have a good red dot installed too. Putting one on my Bushpup proved very good.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I own a P3AT in .380. I love it. It is a great little CCW.

·
Registered
46 Posts
whitley

Big Dog said:
Interesting comments on the SU-16! My friend that owns it is mainly a pistol shooter - we call him the "Glockman", as he has nine at last count!

He shoots the rifle slowly, just a few rounds, then checks target and cleans the gun. He has his own ideas about "break-in" procedures. I shot a few rounds too, but we really haven't given it a thourough testing.

One thing we did find, was the standard fixed rear sight was inadequate, abd the "adjustable" front sight didn't have enough travel to compensate.
He tried a different frontsight (for the Sub2000 actually) but it was far too low, and the gun shot 17" high at 25 yards! Oops.
He finally ordered the optional windage-adjustable rear sight, and it was much better. Still, the sights are all plastic. Like I said, I'm going to see how this gun holds up with time and more shooting. I'll try to get him to let me really wring it out, I'll use my own mags and ammo.
My Bushpup stays dead-on when I really warm it up - I want to see if the Kel-Tec does the same, or won't hold zero or group size?
This gun really is crying to have a good red dot installed too. Putting one on my Bushpup proved very good.
Big Dog:

I liked the lightness and the recoil of the SU16, but because of sighting problems including an Aimpoint Dot setup, I went with a DPMS 16" Lightweight Contour Barrel setup in 1/9 twist. The Accuracy with 69 Gr. Sierra Boattail Hollowpoints and a Jerry Miculeck Comp combination are superb, and the Rifle surprised many of my fellow shooters with the handling and very little recoil. After breaking in the barrel and a couple of hundred rounds, I find the 16" Ultralite is very consistent with at least 1 MOA and able to hit 10" steel targets out to 300 yards.

Whitley

1 - 16 of 16 Posts