Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone here have an opinion on kel-tec's? their P-11 to be exact. i saw one at the gunshop yesterday and it really looked cool,but i was wanting to find out more before i buy it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My dad has one. I have held it but not shot it. I have shot their .380 though and it is basically the same gun (or so it seemed to me) just of different caliber. I will say it appears cheap and feels cheap as well. However I will say that it is made well. Great for concealed carry. Remember that just because it looks and feels cheap doesn't mean it is.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I've got a P3-AT. Great little carry gun. And, not so expensive that I get upset about pocket lint getting into it, surface marring, dropping (if I ever did)...or if, God forbid, I have to use it and lose it to the authorities for investigation.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have a P-40, just like the P-11 but in .40 S&W. It isn't in production any more. I think because it was just too much power for such a small gun. It isn't fun to shoot and if you don't hold it with a very firm grip it will have failure to feed malfunctions. Many Kel-Tec owners "fluff and buff" the gun with positive results. There are instructions for this on the net if you search, in particular at the Kel-Tec owners fourm. I have plans to get a P3AT some time for a good pocket gun. These guns serve their perpose. They are cheap, mostly reliable short range defensive guns. I have heard that Bursa makes a pretty good gun that compares to the Kel-Tec but I don't have any personal knowlege of how they perform. I own the Kel-tec and will likely never sell it (as a personal policy I don't sell guns, a policy I have only broken once). IMHO a much better bank for your buck is a Taurus .38 small framed revolver. I have a M85 ultra-lite. I wanted the exposed hammer. For a concealed carry gun the better choice might be the 605, I think is the modle number, no exposed hammer. I carry mine in my coat or in my soft briefcase outer pocket. I have carried in my pants or shorts pocket but it prints pretty bad.

I guess I should stop rambling. I know I got a little off topic but I hope you find my post helpful.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I carry mine in my coat or in my soft briefcase outer pocket.
I'm sorry to stray from topic here, but...

In your briefcase? If you get mugged, don't you think that would be almost the very first thing they take from you? And, along with it, your gun.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
KEL TEC's are great little guns and they ain't cheap, as far as price.
My son ask for a 380 for Christmas and he also said I could have his 32 auto hummm
hoo hoo I may do that.
They are the best concealable pistol I know of...A.H

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I'm sorry to stray from topic here, but...

In your briefcase? If you get mugged, don't you think that would be almost the very first thing they take from you? And, along with it, your gun.
Perhaps, It is my personal choice, I feel it works well for my needs.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Perhaps, It is my personal choice, I feel it works well for my needs.
That is one of the most important things, I suppose. I had started off by carrying a PPK-type of gun in a soft-CD Case, then after contemplating the situation, that is the conclusion I came to. If mugged or otherwise attacked, they are going to take it from me, or knock it out of my hands. I walk about a block down a fairly dark road from my car to my apt, so this was something I thought about pretty thoroughly. I guess it depends on location, awareness and preparedness.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,987 Posts
Not to be a party-pooper . . .

But having handled and shot a lot of Kel-Tecs - handguns and long guns . . .

I have NEVER met one I'd trust my life to. :bigeyes:

·
Registered
987 Posts
The Kel-Tec P-11 is very good weapon. I bought one a couple of years ago and my wife took it away from me. The only bad thing I can say about them is that the trigger pull is quite heavy at the factory 10 lbs. However, thereis a link at the Kel-Tec owners group web site where you can get a lighter spring. The P-11 is very good at what it was designed to do. It is a personel defense weapon. At 20 ft it is capable of 6 to 8 in groups. Not a target shooter. The PF-9 is basically the same gun except that it is single stack and has an accessory rail. I agree with Jashoffa, the fame on the P-40 was just not strong enough. It was the same frame used on the P-11 which is plenty strong for 9 mm but not .40 S&W. there are still a few P-40's around as well as some conversion kits, but it would be best to collect not shoot them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts