Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the latest Guns&Ammmo, there's an ad for the new Kel-Tec carbine in 5.56mm (.223 Rem). Looks interesting, a back-packable folder in a more powerful cartridge. No word on price, or whether it'll take AR15 magazines.
My buddy has the Sub2000, and I've been less than enthused with it. This new gun at least has a decent scope rail, and a real stock. And check out the fore-end/bipod - pretty trick!
I'll be waiting to see some range reports on this carbine.

Scroll down a ways to see the new gun:
http://www.billstclair.com/blog/030103.html

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Man that things so ugly it looks like Hi-point desighed it :)
No it actualy makes my hi-point carbine look cute :;
Course they are made 10 miles from my house so I better talk nice about them...the old carbine was around $500 so probly around that ammount.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
BUTT ugly Spacegun

the ad says it uses the M-16 feeding system, so i assume it will use m-16 mags.:confused:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to get Klaus' take on this, but it seems like it's got to be using a bolt/gas system like the AR180/Bushpup. No room for the buffer tube of an AR15, and the bolt is square. The buttstock resembles the ATI Mauser scout-style stock. Ugly in spades - but still interesting. I'm betting an entry-level AR15 will still sell for less.
It could be great for a bug-out bag. ;)

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
ANY IDEA........

on a price??? maybe LIPS being practically neighbors with them can call up for a price.;)

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Kel-tec (321) 631-0068 Sales department said will be out April or May. SUGGESTED RETAIL price $640.00 OUCH!!!!!
SOG has some AR-15s for 500.

Oh e-mailed Hi-point comeing out with the .40 cal Cabine "Soon".

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Yup, I think they use a piston action. The forestock/bipod is a clever idea. I think I like this rifle, but need to examine one first hand.

·
Registered
11,920 Posts
Remember, suggested retail is usually a bit high. We'll probably see them for around $600. About what you'd pay for an AR Plinker after markups and shipping.

Only reason for getting one would be whatever practical advantages you would see in them. A piston seems like a definite plus, as is foldability. And the stock shape makes it more compact in some dimensions. Personally, I'd probably go for an AR-15 instead, opting for an SKS when compact storage is the goal. But it's definitely nice to have out there, assuming it works well. I can see Klaus liking it, presumably taking AR mags but using a piston instead of direct impingement.

·
Registered
18,982 Posts
Yup,I to saw it in G&A,had some interesting points,but I also like the piston operation,guess I will stick with my AKM and SKS for now.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts