Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
That's close to what my gun dealer carries in his back pocket. We were playing with it the other day when I asked him about kel tecs. The laser set up seemed pretty sweet.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it gives it that kinda of banded wallet holster look but with laser. i think it would be nice in a back pocket. i just dont know about the grip. I guess one finger on the trigger and one finger in the hole activating the laser.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Don't like it. Not wild about laser sights on defensive handguns, period. I suppose they have some limited applications if you're on a swat team/special ops assignment, but on a hide-out .32 or .380? The idea seems ludicrous.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Don't like it. Not wild about laser sights on defensive handguns, period. I suppose they have some limited applications if you're on a swat team/special ops assignment, but on a hide-out .32 or .380? The idea seems ludicrous.
I don't think it's all that crazy... think about it. You're dealing with a small caliber, probably the smallest anyone here would ever recommend for self-defense. So, with that said, shot placement REALLY COUNTS. In that, I think the LASER is brilliant; you need to make sure each and every shot hits a vital spot and, if you can get it, do CNS damage.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Lasers make such any easily visible target to aim at!
True. I stopped at a friends house one evening. He said come over that he had a laser on his new 1911. I didnt see him standing on his front porch in the dark as I climbed off my motorcycle until the laser came on and I instantly thought to myself that he made himself a perfect target. Then his wife's laser on her smith came on on the other side of the porch and I knew I now could tell exactly where they both were while I was standing in total dark. I thought I had the advantage. I didn't want to tell them that because they had just spent $500 on two Crimson Trace laser grips. If they had not had lasers I would not have known either one was standing on the porch in the dark.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
The one bad thing about lasers is that when you come to rely on them, they will fail you. They are nice in low light situations, but not too swift in bright daylight. Personally, I believe there is no substitute good training with iron sights. We train with three dot night sights, and taget acquisition is fast, and they really force you to concentrate on your target.

·
Super Moderator
16,873 Posts
There was some article in a police magazine cant find it right now, a bunch of defensive pistol experts were saying how while you should not rely on a laser you should have at least nightsights, and/or laser, and or some kind of illumination device be it a hand held light or a weapon mounted one.

It was based off of how a large % of defensive shootings occur in low light. Being able to see your target and the weapon he may or may not have will play a big role in both identifying the threat as well as hitting it if you need too.

True if your standing around somewhere with a laser constantly on it will point back to you, but if your using it momentarily only when firing its a great tool to quickly get a bead on your target in low light situations.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Total weight is 11.2 ozs loaded 7+1. Laser retails for $159.
OOOPS! My bad, that's a slightly different laser!

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
The one bad thing about lasers is that when you come to rely on them, they will fail you. They are nice in low light situations, but not too swift in bright daylight. Personally, I believe there is no substitute good training with iron sights. We train with three dot night sights, and taget acquisition is fast, and they really force you to concentrate on your target.
+1

Jeff Cooper evaluated them in his training program and thought laser sights on defensive pistols were bogus, I go along with his opinion.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I agree that you need to shoot with both types of aiming systems. I wasn't very clear, and I apologize, let me correct that. I will also admit that I speak on personal preference. From my experience, most civilians who use lasers come to rely to heavily on them. The little red dot that shows you where the bullet will enter the target is nice, and usually very fast. What I was trying to communicate was that I believe people who use lasers, especially for self-defense, need to be able to use iron sights also, just in case (heaven forbid) they are put in that situation where they need their weapon and the laser malfunctions. I know officers who have a $600 laser on their service pistol and can put 12-15 shots in the x-ring with the laser, but with open sights those same 12-15 shots spread to about a 15-16" group. In my own long winded way I am basically trying to say the same as you SwedeSteve.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
No apologies required. If sighted in correctly, couldn't you have the sights and laser co-witness? Say put the laser dot to "sit" on the front sight post?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts