close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kids

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by alan c., Apr 10, 2002.

1. Man what is up with these kids. they come on this site with something to prove, Is there a age limit here. I appreciate youngsters that have good intentions as far as firearms are concered And they respect the right to own them. But to come across as someone they are not. What's up.

2. Tober

Tober Firearm Aficionado Forum Contributor

Well Alan, look at it like this, they are young and want to prove something to us older gents, and we dont need anything proved to, as we already know everything ;)

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Hmm, how do you tell how old a poster is, and where do you draw the line between a "kid" and adult?
    Not sure where I fit in all this... I'm on the verge of 20, young to many of you guys, but old enough to buy my own guns and to have learned maybe a few things.
    I don't know if I'm among those you think is trying to prove something or exaggerate my knowledge, but I'm always ready to learn something. A lot of times I'll offer opinions and ideas, but I seldom claim them to be the final word, and will often ask for feedback.
    It's a shame you can't include tone of voice in these posts, as that might clear up a lot of misunderstandings. I always mean to be respectful of the people I meet, especially here. Sometimes, people can imagine guys saying things with an attitude that they don't really have.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2002
  4. Tober

Tober Firearm Aficionado Forum Contributor

kids=18 younger

5. O.K. guys let me clear this up. I shouldn't have put all young adults in the same boat. My post had to do with a conversation with a young adult on a PA 63 thread. I didn't mean to let it get out of hand.:fuss:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2002
  6. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Nothin out of hand, just looking for more discussion. I've come to believe that the most dangerous thing a newcomer can bring to the range is what he thinks he knows. Better to be modest and receptive, even if it's stuff you already know. The only thing you need to prove is that your head is on straight, everything else will fall into place.

7. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Young people using this forum

Alan c: It's a good question you've asked.
    Here's how I look at having young people on this forum.

Where is a better place to add knowledge about guns and related subjects than on this forum? Now for a young person (or any aged person) to pose as an expert and only be a "smart alec" is another thing. We don't need any know-it-all jerks in this field. What we do need, though, are more people willing to help others (young & old) learn accurate gun knowledge and firearms safety.

On another thread on this forum there was a discussion regarding what age a kid should start learning gun safety and firing their first gun. I think that this forum provides a great way for younger gun fans to help educate themselves by communicating with those who have the exerience and knowledge to set them straight.

It doesn't take long for most of us to see through when someone is blowing "hot air" about some subject. That's when I discount most of what they say. If a young kid starts doing this, than it'll become apparant to most of us and others will probably do as I have done.

(For what it's worth...I've developed this philosophy after working with teenagers for 38 years so I'm probably biased.)

Oxford

8. QUESTIONS

IN MY HUNTER SAFTY COURSE I TELL THE KIDS THEY NEVER GIVE ME A WRONG ANSWER. I JUST MAY HAVE ASKED THE WRONG QUESTION. IT IS A TIME TO ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS EVEN IF I MIGHT THINK THEY ARE SHOWING OFF.

DANA

9. Oxford*** I couldn't agree with you more. I am a firm believer in teaching your children at a early age to appreciate and to respect firearms. Growing up in New Mexico*** desert country, my dad would turn me loose with my single shot 22 to hunt jack rabbits and other critters. And when my son was old enough he went with me to the gun range. I started him out with a 22 and by the time he was 9 years old he was shooting my ruger p 89. and quite well if I might add. He's almost 19 now and has lost his interest in firearms, thanks to computers and video games. Man what happened to the simple days.

10. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Kids don't forget the values you taught them.

Alan C: Here's what I've observed over the years. Most parents try to teach kids what's right and wrong and to instill values which are acceptable with their principles of life.

As kids grow through their teenage years they usually move through a stage of trying to become independent from their parents. Their peers have very unusually strong influence on them, too. That's when lots of kids get in all kinds of trouble. Most survive and become productive adult citizens, though.

However, even if the kid seemingly moves away from the parent's values, usually, in due course, he/she will start living as an adult reflecting more of the parents values than you would think.

Alan C., what I'm trying to say is this, I'm predicting that your 18 year old son will eventually move full circle and become your hunting/shooting buddy again after his new challenge of computers and video games gets tiresome and some of his peer influence is reduced. The information and values you taught him will not be in vain. He may even become more of a gun fan than you. Now what would you think of that. (Ha)

Oxford

11. Oxford *** Thanks for the encouragement. But been there done that. Growing up dad taught me to hunt, fish, shoot, work on cars, a general love for the outdoors. When I was old enough to own my first car... well let's just say it this way I was just too busy to hang out with dad. I know that hurt him and at the time it hurt me to tell him I didn't want to get up early Sat. morning to go bass fishing. After a while he stopped asking. Well dad's been gone for 12 years now. I miss him as my mentor, but then he already knows that. My son has never been in any trouble and I thank God for that. And yes he's too busy with his buds right now. That's o.k. I'll wait. Looking at your profile you are more than qualified to voice your opinion. And that I thank you for. God Bless you my friend.