close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Kids...

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by writerinmo, Apr 13, 2018.

1. writerinmo

writerinmo G&G Evangelist

Missouri
    I sometimes think that if I could go back in time, I might very well find myself and warn that "me" to avoid having kids at any cost. "They won't listen to a single word of advice you will five them, in fact they will do the exact opposite" I would tell me. "Just when you start thinking that they couldn't POSSIBLY do something more ignorant that what they've already shown themselves to be capable of, they'll surprise you with something even worse."

First case in point. Wife's youngest daughter (23) called day before yesterday, told Mom that there was something wrong with the car we bought her. Wife brings the phone in to me since I'm the mechanic, puts it on speakerphone.

"The heater is messed up in the Grand AM".
    "Messed up how?"
    "It doesn't blow hot air."
    "When did that start?"

"Oh, it's never worked."

Now, we bought the car last year, middle of the summer. So, that means she drove it all winter with no heater, then calls us when the forecast temps in the near future are upper 50's, 60's and low 70's.

Wicked109, rando, timv and 3 others like this.
  2. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 G&G Evangelist

Sounds like my sister. She hardly did anything to her car outside of filling it with gas.

PAPA G likes this.

3. My eldest son is funny. He'll get letters in the mail from the law saying this or that about his driving infractions or whatever. Oh I took care of that, or why are they hunting me for that??

I say to him, my peers and I were certainly no angels ( nor are many of them still ) but can you at least know the laws you are breaking??

It's professional courtesy. He'll snap out of it one day.

ncnascarlady, PAPA G and austinjoe13 like this.
  4. writerinmo

Missouri
    Stepson is constantly getting arrested for failure to appear on failure to appear on driving violations. What's bad is they are in three neighboring small towns that all have the same court dates, so he shows up at one to pay a fine and get's arrested when they run him for wants and warrants from one of the others because he can't be at three appearances at once. I have no sympathy for him at all, wife and I have warned him multiple times on taking care of the fines when he gets some $$$ in but he blows it on other stuff. So he ends up in jail for a week or so then they give him a court date which he promptly misses and ends up with another warrant.

5. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

We had a sergeant PD that checked traffic court warrants each day. I was standing there when he found one on his own son. I didn't want to be in his neighborhood when he got home. Another story friend of mine parked onside of road writing a report when a school bus passed by, two kids hanging out windows yelling Pig Pig. Friend pulled over bus, extracting both kids taking them home. First house man answered the door, friend telling subject what his kid did. Subject told kid to go to his room that he would miss diner. Friend nick named Top Cat, took second kid home. Man answered door and Top Cat told him what his kid did. Subject ask Top Cat if he was sure hat was what happened. Top Cat confirmed. Subject in khaki pants, t shirt and GI hair cut, told Top Cat, officer I just retired after 25 years in the Marine Corp. and I promise you that by the time you get back to your patrol car, this will be handeled. Top Cat walking to patrol car and over his shoulder he could hear daddy, daddy, whip. slap, daddy daddy, bang, funny as he!!.

6. my eldest son text me the other day saying he's finally got a house with his name on the lease and to come over and meet his dog.

I never gave up on him when everyone else had. I know he'll come good.

I was browsing old photos on another tangent. I found this pic of me when I was 16 or 17. I zoomed in on my eyes as nose. It's my youngest son like a lightning bolt staring back at me.

Kal has avoiding everything I ever did, bicycle, motor bike, rugby football like the plague. Didn't want to be compared to me, I admire that. He is a million times smarter than I ever could have been. he is proud of me as I am of him.

But there he is :)

halftime mr.mx - Copy.jpg

Wicked109, Palladin8, Cyrano and 4 others like this.
  7. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Kind of sad to paint all kids with such a wide brush.

We were all someone's kids, when we were young.

Granted, some kids are terminally stupid, but some of them actually do quite well for themselves, and others.

8. writerinmo

Missouri
    Those aren't the ones we see in the news and on tv usually though. And it wasn't meant to "Paint all kids with such a wide brush" even if accurate, just a reflection on what seems to be the "norm" over the past two generations as well as in my own and the wife's kids and their friends.

From Tide Pod eaters, condom sniffers, gender-confusion, K2 smokers, if 30% make something of themselves it'll be a miracle.

Big Dog likes this.
  9. If my kids did half of the things that I did in my youth I'd likely be arrested for child abuse!

That being said my parents finally let me go understanding that the Only person who was capable of straightening me out was me.. I wasn't stupid, just had to figure life out for myself and live it on my own terms.

The unfortunate thing today is that you have a lot of young people who need to do the same who's parents and the education system have never taught or shown how to think critically or really even think for themselves, set up for failure by being taught only to conform and comply.

writerinmo and Ten Man like this.
  10. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

Step children can be the worst. They don't claim you as their father until they need something. Like Judge Judy says, step parents should stay out of disputes with step children. Let the biological parent deal with issues. Especially when it comes to discipline.

11. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    I think Stepson needs an enlistment in the Marines to get his head screwed on straight. Just sayin'.

animalspooker and Big Dog like this.
  12. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I don't know if they will take him with all those tickets.
    all the branches have pretty much given up the babysitting thing.

13. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 G&G Evangelist

I'll vouch for the step parent thing. I didn't recognize their authority as a teen.

14. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    If it's just parking tickets and speeding tickets, they'd probably take him. As I understand it, what the Marines are against is taking people with DUI, drug charges, or domestic violence charges. They've been straightening out decent kids who need to learn discipline for decades.

Back in the 1980s when the the US military had been using the All Volunteer Force concept for about a decade, the Commandant of the Marine Corps (General Kelley, I believe) was asked by a reporter if the youth of the time had trouble adapting to the stern discipline of the Corps. He responded by saying the new boots gobbled it like vitamins, that they latched onto it like a drowning man with a life ring. The reports he had seen on what motivated a recruit to enlist in the Corps versus one of the other services was that they wanted the discipline, to prove to themselves they could hack it and become one of The Few, The Proud; the service with the mystique that frightens its opponents, that is first in, last out, and makes sure no one is ever left behind, or forgotten.

I'm presuming that this is still true. The Corps may change its equipment and its field uniforms, but it never changes its heart and its soul. If you can find a way to suggest it to Stepson, fiver, it might be the making of the kid into a man you and his mother can be proud of.

Wicked109 likes this.
  15. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

I think I got the nephew here pretty well on track, well about as good as I could do.
    he is back with his Dad and a new step mom.
    it's been another adjustment for him going from the little kid to the big brother.
    but his eyes have opened with a couple of summer jobs and having to be responsible for other people.
    he graduates HS here in a month or so and has a job lined up right afterwards.
    the next few months will tell, if he starts struggling I will bring up joining the service again.
    I really think he would thrive with the structure.

Cyrano, ncnascarlady and austinjoe13 like this.
  16. writerinmo

Missouri
    Can't, has several of them "Alphabet syndromes" plus now has criminal record. He's not even good material for cannon fodder.

17. writerinmo

Missouri

I will admit that I partially joined the Army Infantry to get out of county jail. The charges stemmed from a personal beef with a former best-friend who had the hots for my wife at the time and if I had money for a decent lawyer would have been thrown out, but at the time I didn't. I had already been trying to go active from the Guards but failed to make weight, I was a beanpole at the time and five pounds under the minimum for 6'4". My recruiter talked with the judge and it came down to me actually enlisting to get everything to disappear. Drank water and ate banana's all the way to the MEPS station and made weight by 2 pounds.

Wife moved in with former best-friend within the first week I was gone to Basic, then filed for divorce. Suited me just fine as I drew married pay all through basic and put it in the safe.

Big Dog, austinjoe13 and Cyrano like this.
  18. writerinmo

Missouri
    I had the "you're not my dad" thrown at me plenty of times but had a great comeback... "No, I'm not your dad...I'm not in prison." Stepdaughter tried to play me at the first but quickly realized I was no pushover. She ended up walking out eventually when I called her out for disrespecting her mom, but years later she realized how much reality sucks and we have a decent enough relationship now. The stepson acted out at first, he was sneaking out his bedroom window after we went to sleep. One night I was up headed towards the bathroom (Too much sweet tea after 6PM) and caught him sliding in the window. Next morning I took a screwdriver and popped the hinge pins out of his door and put the door down in the basement. Told him he'd get it back when he stopped acting like a hoodlum. Think it was about 6 months or so.

TheWall, austinjoe13 and Wicked109 like this.
  19. alleyyooper

alleyyooper G&G Evangelist

Michigan
    Yup I was some ones kid. Lived on a farm and hated getting up any dam morning to milk cows. I told my dad only crazy people wake up at 4:00 am to go to work of their own free will.
    worked a deal with my 2 year younger brother, he would morning milk alone and I would do all the barn cleaning alone, carry in and fill moms cook stove wood box alone.
    Worked great for us both.

Dad would look at our school report cards and say to me, why can't you get grades like your brother.

I quit school my senior year. worked at a car wash days and a resturant nights washing dishes for a long time get to sleep from about 3:00 am till about 9:00 AM car wash opened at 9:30.

found a job as a porter at a vynal top convertiable top seat cover place and worked there for a really long time. A friend told me about a storm door and window company that was hireing. I got hired and quit the porter job and gave 2 weeks notice at the resturant.

Before my dad passed he told a nurse doing a home visit I was his steadest kid and worked my butt off at night. I worked almost 12 months at th ewindow place night shift, every chance i got while in the army and 33 years at the job I go when I got out of the army.

My step daughter calls me dad, don't know nor care what the step son calls me as he is never with in sight of me ever since his mom wised up and kicked him out.

:D Al

writerinmo likes this.