Kill'em and Eat'em

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by grizcty, Sep 18, 2010.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

All lovers of eagles, fighter pilots, and wannabe fighter pilots will love this story!!

PILOT STORY

This is pretty neat description of aerial combat.

Kill'em and Eat'em

This came from a gent who runs a 2000 acre corn farm up around Barron, WI., not far from Oshkosh . He used to fly F-4Es and F-16s for the Guard and participated in the first Gulf War.

His story:

I went out to plant corn for a bit to finish a field before tomorrow morning and witnessed The Great Battle . A golden eagle - big, with about a six foot wingspan - flew right in front of the tractor. It was being chased by three crows that were continually dive bombing it and pecking at it. The crows do this because the eagles rob their nests when they find them.

At any rate, the eagle banked hard right in one evasive maneuver, then landed in the field about 100 feet from the tractor. This eagle stood about 3 feet tall. The crows all landed too, and took up positions around the eagle at 120 degrees apart, but kept their distance of about 20 feet from the big bird. The eagle would take a couple steps towards one of the crows and they'd hop backwards and forward to keep their distance. Then the reinforcement showed up.

I happened to spot the eagle's mate hurtling down out of the sky at what appeared to be approximately Mach 1.5. Just before impact the eagle on the ground took flight, (obviously a coordinated tactic; probably pre-briefed) and the three crows which were watching the grounded eagle, also took flight thinking they were going to get in some more pecking on the big bird.

The first crow being targeted by the diving eagle never stood a snowball's chance in hades. There was a mid-air explosion of black feathers and that crow was done. The diving eagle then banked hard left in what had to be a 9G climbing turn, using the energy it had accumulated in the dive, and hit crow #2 less than two seconds later. Another crow dead.

The grounded eagle, which was now airborne and had an altitude advantage on the remaining crow, which was streaking eastward in full burner, made a short dive then banked hard right when the escaping crow tried to evade the hit. It didn't work - crow #3 bit the dust at about 20 feet AGL.

This aerial battle was better than any air show I've been to, including the war birds show at Oshkosh . The two eagles ripped the crows apart and ate them on the ground, and as I got closer and closer working my way across the field, I passed within 20 feet of one of them as it ate its catch. It stopped and looked at me as I went by and you could see in the look of that bird that it knew who's Boss Of The Sky.
    What a beautiful bird!

I loved it. Not only did they kill their enemy, they ate them.

One of the best Fighter Pilot stories I've seen in a long time...

There are no noble wars -- Only noble warriors

Attached Files:

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Mess with the Best...Die like the rest !

3. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Very cool.
    Reminds me of how they used to get pigeons out of hangers at Nellis AFB. They had a falconer come in, he would chase the rats with wings from the rafters with a tennis ball, then it was game on. I don't ever recall seeing the falcon loose.

4. danf6975

danf6975 G&G Newbie

5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    Awesome!!!!

I LOVE stories about flying, and eagles, both.

Thanks for posting it!

6. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

A very good post. Thanks for the story. I enjoyed it.

7. Paul T

Paul T G&G Newbie

8. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Evangelist

That was cool, I would liked to have seen it happen.

9. BarryHalls

BarryHalls G&G Evangelist

+1

The crows lost the fight when they got on level with the Eagle.

Large raptors can generally match their smaller opponents for lift, but lack turning and circling tightness, the ability to change their momentum, that smaller birds have. The smaller crows have the advantage when close to the Eagle in the sky, generally RIGHT above him.

Once the crows were on the same plane as the Eagle, they lost the advantage, and were now even, toe to toe, with a larger more powerful opponent. When the mate came in, totally by surprise, it was all over.

Fantastic display. I hope I see the like in my time.

10. chesterwin

chesterwin G&G Evangelist

It was great to imagine the scene as told. A video would have been awesome! Thanks for sharing...

11. that was an awsome story :D thankss for sharing very well depicted, Could imagine it as I read it. I bet that was a sight to see.

12. Wild West

Wild West G&G Addict

great story. Go to u tube and watch Eagles killing wolves. Very interesting.

13. That had to be quite a dog fight.
    When you look into an eagles eye you see no fear.

14. shop tom

shop tom G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I can just imagine the Eagles being P-47s and the crows Me109s.............

tom

15. Tigercat200

Tigercat200 G&G Evangelist

We have a Cooper's Hawk that frequents our part of town every few weeks. Once she stooped (that's a diving attack) and her prey headed for the tree line out back. A few hard jinks at 100 mph and she came out the other side with the bird in her talon. I still don't know how she didn't hit any of the tree limbs. Earlier this year I was looking out the kitchen window and all the birds around the fountain and birdbath headed for the bushes. The hawk landed on the patio, walked up to the bushes, and climbed in after the birds. Yep, they hunt on the ground, too. There are a lot of other tales to tell about her but suffice it to say that we've really enjoyed the airshows.

16. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I was in to falconry as a young man and raised and trained a Red Tailed Hawk for years. She was named Kachina and was an excellent hunter. She really excelled on those CA cottontails and quail. This story reminded me of watching her stoop on game, and the looks on her face when she was hunting. Thanks for the memories !!